Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles who should improve upon their 2011 performance

Orioles who should improve upon their 2011 performance

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 30th, 2011, 4:37 pm

The Orioles have third base open but the rest of the positions will likely be filled with someone on the roster. They are also unlikely to sign a FA starter.

So if the Orioles are going to improve next year, players currently on the roster are going to have to step up their performance.

I expect Matt Wieters to progress even further next season.

Nolan Reimold should see a jump in production next year if his BABIP jumps back up to his career average.

Who else?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Orioles who should improve upon their 2011 performance

PostPost #2 by A_K » September 30th, 2011, 5:18 pm

Well, I think it's only fair to note that we should probably expect regression from Hardy and potentially from Jones. If Jones stays at this year's production or surpasses it, he'll have established himself as one of the league's best CFers. My guess is he slides back a bit next year.

I'm still foolish enough to expect improvement from Markakis, although his career trajectory shows steady and damning regression.

I expect Reynolds' defensive numbers will also regress to a more manageable area this year, and his offensive numbers to basically stay put.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #3 by BuckMagic » September 30th, 2011, 5:30 pm

A_K wrote:Well, I think it's only fair to note that we should probably expect regression from Hardy and potentially from Jones. If Jones stays at this year's production or surpasses it, he'll have established himself as one of the league's best CFers. My guess is he slides back a bit next year.

I'm still foolish enough to expect improvement from Markakis, although his career trajectory shows steady and damning regression.

I expect Reynolds' defensive numbers will also regress to a more manageable area this year, and his offensive numbers to basically stay put.

I was going to say, Reynolds 2011 UZR is an outlier compared to his previous years. He was bad, but I do not think he was 27 runs bad!
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 30th, 2011, 7:29 pm

BuckMagic wrote:
A_K wrote:Well, I think it's only fair to note that we should probably expect regression from Hardy and potentially from Jones. If Jones stays at this year's production or surpasses it, he'll have established himself as one of the league's best CFers. My guess is he slides back a bit next year.

I was going to say, Reynolds 2011 UZR is an outlier compared to his previous years. He was bad, but I do not think he was 27 runs bad!

I'd imagine he's more in the -12 - -18 UZR range.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Shorebirdfan » September 30th, 2011, 8:57 pm

I would like to think we will see a more mature Zach Britton with improved control. Under the no place to go but up theory, we have Brian Matusz who simply HAS to be better.

I think Tommy Hunter is a better pitcher than we saw after the trade, so I am hopeful there also.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #6 by BuckMagic » October 1st, 2011, 10:48 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:I would like to think we will see a more mature Zach Britton with improved control. Under the no place to go but up theory, we have Brian Matusz who simply HAS to be better.

I think Tommy Hunter is a better pitcher than we saw after the trade, so I am hopeful there also.

Hunter was also injured towards the end of the year so should 100% be at least slightly better next year!

Is there a player who wasn't injured at all this year?!?! :?:
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 2nd, 2011, 12:22 pm

BuckMagic wrote:
Shorebirdfan wrote:I would like to think we will see a more mature Zach Britton with improved control. Under the no place to go but up theory, we have Brian Matusz who simply HAS to be better.

Hunter was also injured towards the end of the year so should 100% be at least slightly better next year!

Is there a player who wasn't injured at all this year?!?! :?:

Only guy I can think of is Reimold and Johnson. Wieters missed a few games, but was mostly healthy.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Matt P » October 6th, 2011, 7:33 pm

Hunter started off last season injured, got sent to the minors, came up to the majors in the bullpen, got traded, and became a starter again. I think next season he will definitely improve if he can start the season healthy and in the rotation. I think he would be a great reliever but I do believe at this point he is a starter on this team.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #9 by ofahn » October 6th, 2011, 7:39 pm

Matt P wrote:Hunter started off last season injured, got sent to the minors, came up to the majors in the bullpen, got traded, and became a starter again. I think next season he will definitely improve if he can start the season healthy and in the rotation. I think he would be a great reliever but I do believe at this point he is a starter on this team.

If he wants to have a long career he needs to hire a nutritionist and a personal trainer.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #10 by BuckMagic » October 13th, 2011, 9:36 pm

Matt P wrote:Hunter started off last season injured, got sent to the minors, came up to the majors in the bullpen, got traded, and became a starter again. I think next season he will definitely improve if he can start the season healthy and in the rotation. I think he would be a great reliever but I do believe at this point he is a starter on this team.

I honestly believe that if healthy, Hunter is the exact kind of pitcher the O's need at this time. Guthrie version 2.
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

PostPost #11 by ofahn » October 13th, 2011, 10:11 pm

BuckMagic wrote:I honestly believe that if healthy, Hunter is the exact kind of pitcher the O's need at this time. Guthrie version 2.

Guthrie understands pitching better than Hunter does. ALL of our young pitchers would benefit by spending time with AND LISTENING TO two guys during Spring Training. Jim Palmer and Scott McGregor. If I were a young pitcher I would be BEGGING them to allow me to buy them dinner.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Return to Baltimore Orioles