Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

2011 Bullpen

2011 Bullpen

PostPost #1 by 2131andBeyond » September 14th, 2010, 2:13 pm

What do you speculate to be the 2011 bullpen?

Technically speaking, the only bullpen piece signed and locked in for next season is Michael Gonzalez. That being said, I do expect David Hernandez, Jason Berken, and Jim Johnson to all sign back on.

Then comes the questionable pieces: Matt Albers, Mark Hendrickson, and Koji Uehara.

We could, per say, sign on all 6 of those guys, and have ourselves a 7 man bullpen right there. Then again, we do not know yet what Buck has in store for guys like VandenHurk and Patton.

I would love to see us shoo away Hendrickson. Those that know me know that he is my least favorite Oriole. His stuff, IMO, is pretty hittable. While some talk about how he eats innings, I look at the fact that he has the extremely high BAA of .313.

Key question: What do you see the Orioles doing with their bullpen for next season? Sign other FAs, or re-sign ones we have now? Who will be the closer, late inning guys, and long relief guy(s)?
User avatar
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 147
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 0

Re: 2011 Bullpen

PostPost #2 by 2131andBeyond » September 14th, 2010, 2:19 pm

Forgot to mention, Matt Albers is arbitration eligible.
User avatar
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 147
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 0

Re: 2011 Bullpen

PostPost #3 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 14th, 2010, 2:56 pm

2131andBeyond wrote:What do you speculate to be the 2011 bullpen?

Technically speaking, the only bullpen piece signed and locked in for next season is Michael Gonzalez. That being said, I do expect David Hernandez, Jason Berken, and Jim Johnson to all sign back on.

Then comes the questionable pieces: Matt Albers, Mark Hendrickson, and Koji Uehara.

We could, per say, sign on all 6 of those guys, and have ourselves a 7 man bullpen right there. Then again, we do not know yet what Buck has in store for guys like VandenHurk and Patton.

I would love to see us shoo away Hendrickson. Those that know me know that he is my least favorite Oriole. His stuff, IMO, is pretty hittable. While some talk about how he eats innings, I look at the fact that he has the extremely high BAA of .313.

Key question: What do you see the Orioles doing with their bullpen for next season? Sign other FAs, or re-sign ones we have now? Who will be the closer, late inning guys, and long relief guy(s)?


Long relief:
Vandenhurk (He just earned his spot solely based on yesterday.)

Middle relief:
Jason Berken (Can also be used as an emergency long reliever if a long reliever is needed two games in a row)
Luis Lebron
Koji Uehara
Mike Gonzalez

Setup:
Jim Johnson/Gonzalez/Uehara/Lebron. Basically depends on situation.

Closer:
Rafael Soriano.
Baltimore! BUCK YEAH! Coming into save the MOTHER BUCKING day yeah!

http://flavadave10.wordpress.com
LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 97
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 0

Re: 2011 Bullpen

PostPost #4 by 2131andBeyond » September 14th, 2010, 3:43 pm

LukeScottsShotgun wrote:
2131andBeyond wrote:What do you speculate to be the 2011 bullpen?

Technically speaking, the only bullpen piece signed and locked in for next season is Michael Gonzalez. That being said, I do expect David Hernandez, Jason Berken, and Jim Johnson to all sign back on.

Then comes the questionable pieces: Matt Albers, Mark Hendrickson, and Koji Uehara.

We could, per say, sign on all 6 of those guys, and have ourselves a 7 man bullpen right there. Then again, we do not know yet what Buck has in store for guys like VandenHurk and Patton.

I would love to see us shoo away Hendrickson. Those that know me know that he is my least favorite Oriole. His stuff, IMO, is pretty hittable. While some talk about how he eats innings, I look at the fact that he has the extremely high BAA of .313.

Key question: What do you see the Orioles doing with their bullpen for next season? Sign other FAs, or re-sign ones we have now? Who will be the closer, late inning guys, and long relief guy(s)?


Long relief:
Vandenhurk (He just earned his spot solely based on yesterday.)

Middle relief:
Jason Berken (Can also be used as an emergency long reliever if a long reliever is needed two games in a row)
Luis Lebron
Koji Uehara
Mike Gonzalez

Setup:
Jim Johnson/Gonzalez/Uehara/Lebron. Basically depends on situation.

Closer:
Rafael Soriano.


You are saying to bring Soriano in, but you have to remember this: Angelos still owns this team. He still owes Gonzo big money, and after what Soriano's done this year, he would refuse to come in for less than Gonzo, but probably more.

Also, Lebron is not ready for the bigs, let alone he may not be ready for ST even. Can't rely on him just yet. If they bring Uehara back, that's a sure fire sign that a big name like Soriano wouldn't be coming.
User avatar
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 147
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 0

Re: 2011 Bullpen

PostPost #5 by CamdenRevival » September 14th, 2010, 6:55 pm

If Koji is back, it'll be as a short-man (closer or main setup, more likely closer) as opposed to a middle man. After he got gassed and went on the DL after a 2 inning stint, I think the org learned that you need to use the kid gloves with him and that's why he switched to a short man. Keeping him to 1 IP seems to agree with him (even on back-to-backs) and he'll be less likely to break down.

I, for one, don't mind. He'll be cheaper than Soriano (obviously) and I have to admit I like a closer who throws strikes. I still think D. Hernandez is the long-term answer there.
CamdenRevival
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 30
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 0

Re: 2011 Bullpen

PostPost #6 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 15th, 2010, 1:15 pm

2131andBeyond wrote:
LukeScottsShotgun wrote:
2131andBeyond wrote:What do you speculate to be the 2011 bullpen?

Technically speaking, the only bullpen piece signed and locked in for next season is Michael Gonzalez. That being said, I do expect David Hernandez, Jason Berken, and Jim Johnson to all sign back on.

Then comes the questionable pieces: Matt Albers, Mark Hendrickson, and Koji Uehara.

We could, per say, sign on all 6 of those guys, and have ourselves a 7 man bullpen right there. Then again, we do not know yet what Buck has in store for guys like VandenHurk and Patton.

I would love to see us shoo away Hendrickson. Those that know me know that he is my least favorite Oriole. His stuff, IMO, is pretty hittable. While some talk about how he eats innings, I look at the fact that he has the extremely high BAA of .313.

Key question: What do you see the Orioles doing with their bullpen for next season? Sign other FAs, or re-sign ones we have now? Who will be the closer, late inning guys, and long relief guy(s)?


Long relief:
Vandenhurk (He just earned his spot solely based on yesterday.)

Middle relief:
Jason Berken (Can also be used as an emergency long reliever if a long reliever is needed two games in a row)
Luis Lebron
Koji Uehara
Mike Gonzalez

Setup:
Jim Johnson/Gonzalez/Uehara/Lebron. Basically depends on situation.

Closer:
Rafael Soriano.


You are saying to bring Soriano in, but you have to remember this: Angelos still owns this team. He still owes Gonzo big money, and after what Soriano's done this year, he would refuse to come in for less than Gonzo, but probably more.

Also, Lebron is not ready for the bigs, let alone he may not be ready for ST even. Can't rely on him just yet. If they bring Uehara back, that's a sure fire sign that a big name like Soriano wouldn't be coming.


You never said ANYTHING about it being realistic! :P

OK realistically:

Long relief: Vandenhurk
Middle relief: Hernandez (emergency long reliever if the need arises), Berken, Patton (I don't care if we have no idea that he's a nugget, we know Fat Albers and his best friend Fettucine Alfredo aren't nuggets), Gonzalez (wouldn't be shocked if we did a salary dump trade with him though)
Setup: Jim Johnson/Gonzalez (basically whoever the situation calls for, but primarily those two)
Closer: Koji, although we might want to give Gonzo a shot. I would like to have a closer that we know can go more than one inning if the need arises.

Things'll get very interesting if Kam and Lebron pitch well like they are supposed to.
Baltimore! BUCK YEAH! Coming into save the MOTHER BUCKING day yeah!

http://flavadave10.wordpress.com
LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 97
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 0

Re: 2011 Bullpen

PostPost #7 by allstar1579 » September 15th, 2010, 3:03 pm

Realistically they won't spend a dime on the BP this year after paying so much and being burned by Gonzo last year (not just me saying this either, I've heard from people with connections). They have some pretty good internal options, with minor league SP with nothing to prove in the minors and being pushed by a wave coming up from the low minors. They will either give Gonzo the shot to earn his contract, or you might see someone converted to closer (like Papelbon for the Sox) very soon.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 162
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 0

Re: 2011 Bullpen

PostPost #8 by DougDE » September 15th, 2010, 3:18 pm

Not to mention the 40 million they wasted a couple years ago on the likes of Baez, Walker, etc. Throw in Gonzo from last year and I agree, Id be surprised to see a big bullpen signing. I think we have some good pieces already under control anyway
DougDE
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 376
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 5

Re: 2011 Bullpen

PostPost #9 by allstar1579 » September 15th, 2010, 3:40 pm

DougDE wrote:Not to mention the 40 million they wasted a couple years ago on the likes of Baez, Walker, etc. Throw in Gonzo from last year and I agree, Id be surprised to see a big bullpen signing. I think we have some good pieces already under control anyway


Exactly. Remember that probably our best BP arm was a failed starter we had that we converted. Berken excelled after being moved to the pen. There are more guys like them just waiting for a shot. Bascom, Mickolio, S. Johnson, Beato, Pelzer, Zagone, Thall, Tanaka, Perez, Gleason...all BP arms.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 162
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 0

Re: 2011 Bullpen

PostPost #10 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 15th, 2010, 9:15 pm

I agree. I was just being insanely wishful. I tend to do that and be insanely sarcastic, in case you didn't know.
Baltimore! BUCK YEAH! Coming into save the MOTHER BUCKING day yeah!

http://flavadave10.wordpress.com
LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 97
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 0

Re: 2011 Bullpen

PostPost #11 by allstar1579 » September 15th, 2010, 9:31 pm

LukeScottsShotgun wrote:I agree. I was just being insanely wishful. I tend to do that and be insanely sarcastic, in case you didn't know.


Ah, hard to tell with the lack of internet context. I'll keep it in mind though ;)
allstar1579
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 162
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 0

Re: 2011 Bullpen

PostPost #12 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 21st, 2010, 4:44 pm

allstar1579 wrote:
LukeScottsShotgun wrote:I agree. I was just being insanely wishful. I tend to do that and be insanely sarcastic, in case you didn't know.


Ah, hard to tell with the lack of internet context. I'll keep it in mind though ;)


Always assume I'm being sarcastic.
Baltimore! BUCK YEAH! Coming into save the MOTHER BUCKING day yeah!

http://flavadave10.wordpress.com
LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 97
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 0



Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests