Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Mark Reynolds: Comparison to his Competition

Mark Reynolds: Comparison to his Competition

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » October 11th, 2011, 3:13 pm

Mark Reynolds played both first and third base this season. While his glove was not a positive asset for the club, his bat seemed to excel in many categories. I decided to take a look at a comparison of his stats versus the rest of the qualifying players at first and third base. These statistics were all taken from Fangraphs:

Third Base had 14 qualifying players in 2011:

As you can see from above, Reynolds’ bat was above average at third base. The two outlier stats were HR and SO. The next highest HR total was from Adrain Beltre with 32. The next highest SO total was from Casey McGehee with 104.

First Base had 24 qualifying players in 2011:

Reynolds’ number clearly fall a little closer towards the middle of the pack at first base, but still are respectable enough for him to hold his own.

Overall, Reynolds offers a legitimate asset with his bat. It is up to his defense to determine whether or not he can be a positive all-around asset in the future. It will be interesting to see how the Orioles view Reynolds as a player this off-season. The moves they make could largely show how they indeed view him.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Mark Reynolds: Comparison to his Competition

PostPost #2 by ofahn » October 11th, 2011, 3:21 pm

This was really a fine piece of work. Thank you for doing it.

I'd be interested in seeing how he compared to other DHs. While his defense at 1B was average or better I see Reynolds as a full time DH occasionally filling in at 3B and 1B. Do you agree?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » October 11th, 2011, 3:28 pm

ofahn wrote:This was really a fine piece of work. Thank you for doing it.

I'd be interested in seeing how he compared to other DHs. While his defense at 1B was average or better I see Reynolds as a full time DH occasionally filling in at 3B and 1B. Do you agree?

thank you.
I was thinking about doing DH's too but there are not many teams that have "full-time" guys at the position.
But I agree, I think he would be a great DH. Although, I would have no problem with him playing first next season (assuming we sign no one else).
I assume this is the problem the Orioles currently have as well.Where does he exactly fit? His bat plays well enough at 3rd,1st ,DH, and even LF if you want to venture that far.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #4 by ofahn » October 11th, 2011, 3:53 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:His bat plays well enough at 3rd,1st ,DH, and even LF if you want to venture that far.

But, unfortunately, his glove doesn't.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Matt P » October 13th, 2011, 9:05 am

ofahn wrote:
TuckerBlair89 wrote:His bat plays well enough at 3rd,1st ,DH, and even LF if you want to venture that far.

You don't need a glove to play DH :D
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #6 by BuckMagic » October 13th, 2011, 9:42 pm

Matt P wrote:
ofahn wrote:

You don't need a glove to play DH :D

But he does not have the bat for DH!!! :!:
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #7 by ofahn » October 13th, 2011, 10:05 pm

BuckMagic wrote:But he does not have the bat for DH!

I'd take the bat at DH if it meant a much better glove at 3B.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by dan72 » October 14th, 2011, 4:26 pm

Only in Baltimore would we celebrate a .220 average, 196 so, and 30+ errors. As long as he hits near the bottom of the line up he's ok. He has major holes in his game and should be recognized for his short comings as well. I'd prefer a more complete player at the corners. He's a dh on most al squads.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #9 by ofahn » October 14th, 2011, 4:53 pm

dan72 wrote:Only in Baltimore would we celebrate a .220 average, 196 so, and 30+ errors. As long as he hits near the bottom of the line up he's ok. He has major holes in his game and should be recognized for his short comings as well. I'd prefer a more complete player at the corners. He's a dh on most al squads.

I agree with everything you say BUT until we make the necessary investments into our player development system we're going to need a Mark Reynolds to fill a hole.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by A_K » October 14th, 2011, 5:12 pm

dan72 wrote:Only in Baltimore would we celebrate a .220 average, 196 so, and 30+ errors. As long as he hits near the bottom of the line up he's ok. He has major holes in his game and should be recognized for his short comings as well. I'd prefer a more complete player at the corners. He's a dh on most al squads.

This isn't exactly a celebratory thread.

Secondly, what's more pathetic: an analysis that provides a full statistical picture of a player relative to his peers, or one that isolates three of those statistics (two of which aren't entirely indicative of performance) and presents them without context to make a lazy point about what should or shouldn't be celebrated?

Reynolds has his flaws, to be sure. But this thread does a good job of showing that his productivity exceeds beyond his batting average, strikeouts and errors. Repeating his season totals in those three areas doesn't say much.
Last edited by A_K on October 14th, 2011, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #11 by OriolesRedskins28 » October 14th, 2011, 9:02 pm

DH or LF would be my preference because 3B is NOT working well defensively and his bat doesn't profile well for 1B. I agree with ofahn that Reynolds would fit best as primarily a DH while occasionally filling in at 1B 3B LF. Some of his at bats are extremely ugly and unproductive, but you can't discount his 37 home runs. I would really like him as a 3B if he wasn't so awful defensively, but that's the reason the O's were able to get him for 2 right handed relief pitchers. As a primary DH and in the 6/7 hole in the lineup, I like him!
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #12 by Matt P » October 18th, 2011, 8:40 pm

Not sure about the whole Reynolds in LF thing. Reimold didn't look all that bad out there last season and I think he should be starting at LF amongst in house candidates. It would also be easier to find a LF in free agency this off season than to find a 3B this off season if they feel Reimold can't handle it full time.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #13 by j.q. higgins » October 19th, 2011, 4:20 am

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:DH or LF would be my preference because 3B is NOT working well defensively and his bat doesn't profile well for 1B. I agree with ofahn that Reynolds would fit best as primarily a DH while occasionally filling in at 1B 3B LF. Some of his at bats are extremely ugly and unproductive, but you can't discount his 37 home runs. I would really like him as a 3B if he wasn't so awful defensively, but that's the reason the O's were able to get him for 2 right handed relief pitchers. As a primary DH and in the 6/7 hole in the lineup, I like him!

just curious why you would put him so low in the lineup? seems to me that the guy w/ the most extra base hits and fewest GDP in relation to teammates w/ similar amounts of plate appearances should be put in more of a position to drive guys in.
j.q. higgins
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #14 by Oriole85 » October 19th, 2011, 8:51 am

I think his bat profiles fine for 2012 as 1B while he isn't making a lot of dough and the team is in transition. Who are our *realistic* better options? I don't think they should exercise the option for 2013 without major improvements. It's too bad he was such a liability at third. Honestly, I think he is better than how he looked at times. I don't expect him to be gold glove at third, but thought he could be average.
Oriole85
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #15 by Don » October 19th, 2011, 9:57 am

His bat does not profile for 1B, it is considered below replacement level because of the vast amount of unproductive outs in his game.

I do not feel that he is a liability at third with improvements with minor footwork. It sets him in a better position to throw, which was his biggest issue this season. He is working with a a former third baseman a few times this winter to improve. I think his reactions and glove easily are one of the better hands at that position.

I think he also has the athletic chops to play LF, but likely a moot point considering the log jam of players.

I do not honestly know how he transitions to DH. Guys start to think often while in the dugout and sometimes that wrecks their game. I would need to know if the mental aspect in his game is strong enough to stay focused and without clutter in the head. If he thinks too much, his production could take a serious hit and turn into a high priced liability on the bench.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles