Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Is Trading Markakis an Option?

Re: Is Trading Markakis an Option?

PostPost #16 by Matt P » October 5th, 2011, 8:34 pm

A_K wrote:Guys, why would anyone trade for a guy who fits the description that we all seem to agree applies to Markakis? Not only does his contract make him a terrible investment for a rebuilding team, it also-- worst of all-- makes him untradeable. Chances are we'll start hearing his name mentioned as one of the worst contracts in baseball within the next year or two.

I don't know but the Jays somehow found a suitor for Vernon Wells and the White Sox claimed Alex Rios off waivers so anything is possible. Maybe some team thinks he can bounce back and are willing to give up a C+ or B prospect for him. I'd honestly trade him as a salary dump much like the Derrek Lee trade at the deadline.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #17 by thezeroes » October 8th, 2011, 9:32 am

With the comments that Buck Showalter has made all season long about Nick Markakis, I do not be believe that given the current makeup of the Front Office (Buck seems to be in charge) that unless it is an overwhelming offer, Nick Markakis will be in Right Field, batting second or third when the Orioles take on the Minnesota Twins at home to start the 2012 campaign.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #18 by hsbaseballcoach » October 8th, 2011, 9:24 pm

I know I am in the minority here, but I would not give up Markakis. He always hits around .300, is a plus defender with an above average arm, and does not strike out much. IMO, he is moderately over paid, but his contract is not that overwhelming. He is a true #2 hitter, not a distraction like Wells, or others mentioned, and is under 30. The only thing he really falls short in is power. I not only like Markakis in an Orioles uniform, I love him in an Orioles uniform. He is an above average player - keep him!
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #19 by ofahn » October 8th, 2011, 9:37 pm

hsbaseballcoach wrote:I know I am in the minority here, but I would not give up Markakis. He always hits around .300, is a plus defender with an above average arm, and does not strike out much. IMO, he is moderately over paid, but his contract is not that overwhelming. He is a true #2 hitter, not a distraction like Wells, or others mentioned, and is under 30. The only thing he really falls short in is power. I not only like Markakis in an Orioles uniform, I love him in an Orioles uniform. He is an above average player - keep him!

I agree. I have no way of proving it but I think that a large portion of his decline has been a real frustration with losing. If we can add some quality pitching talent and a GM that makes it clear that his priority is to rebuild the farm system there's a good chance that we will see a different Markakis.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #20 by Rising O's » October 9th, 2011, 8:45 am

Well that is about the only good thing, most scouts will think the same, frustration with losing. So maybe some competitive team will think he's worth the 44 million due.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #21 by ofahn » October 9th, 2011, 9:34 am

Rising O's wrote:maybe some competitive team will think he's worth the 44 million due

Right now it would be a salary dump. Why not let him reestablish some value and be able to get some type of return for him?

I would rather trade Jones now because he has a real value and we can replace him.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by thezeroes » October 9th, 2011, 10:19 am

Over the past three seasons there have been only thirty (30) players that have done the following.
Played in more than 435 Games
Maintained an OPS of greater than .780
Nick is third in games played at 481
Nick is twelfth in Batting Average at .291
Nick is eighteenth in OBP at .356
His downfall is Slugging (HR's) which is in the Thirty spot.

Two of them currently play for the Orioles and are under the age of 30. (actual age 27)
Nick Markakis and Mark Reynolds

Compare Nick with Michael Young of Texas, Carl Crawford of Boston, or Brandon Phillips of Cincinnati (all on the list). The Orioles, in declining statistical years for Nick, got value for money spent. When he returns to his 2008 form (stats) the dollars will be an after thought. IMO
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #23 by ofahn » October 9th, 2011, 11:11 am

thezeroes wrote:Over the past three seasons there have been only thirty (30) players that have done the following.
Played in more than 435 Games
Maintained an OPS of greater than .780
Nick is third in games played at 481
Nick is twelfth in Batting Average at .291
Nick is eighteenth in OBP at .356
His downfall is Slugging (HR's) which is in the Thirty spot.

Two of them currently play for the Orioles and are under the age of 30. (actual age 27)
Nick Markakis and Mark Reynolds

Thanks for doing the research.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #24 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 9th, 2011, 11:52 pm

Rising O's wrote:Well that is about the only good thing, most scouts will think the same, frustration with losing. So maybe some competitive team will think he's worth the 44 million due.

If I remember correctly Keith Law said scouts thought he was just getting bored because no one else in the lineup was producing. Not that I think it's a good idea to sign Prince Fielder, but adding a guy like him would certainly provide a boost to the lineup that would take the pressure of of Jones, Markakis, Wieters, etc.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles