Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Arizona Fall League Thread

Arizona Fall League Thread

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 4th, 2011, 10:09 pm

The Arizona Fall League started today. Use this thread to discuss the AFL. O's players (O's team is Mesa Solar Sox):

Catchers: Brian Ward
Infielders: Joe Mahoney & LJ Hoes
Outfielders: Xavier Avery
Pitchers: Casey Lambert, Cole McCurry, Sean Gleason & Steve Johnson

Follow this link for more information and the Rules of the AFL >>
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Arizona Fall League Thread

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 4th, 2011, 10:10 pm

Game 1:
Xavier Avery: 0 for 3 with a run, a walk, 2 strikeouts.

Only Oriole to make an appearance.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #3 by Zach » October 5th, 2011, 12:45 pm

Are any orioles prospects going to any of the other off season leagues (Australian, Dominican, Mexico, etc...)? I know last year we had a few who took this route after not being sent to the Arizona fall league, but I haven't heard any news about this. It would be a great opportunity for some of these prospects who are supposed to be an integral part of this 2014 wave to continue to work on skills and face competition.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » October 5th, 2011, 2:46 pm

Don said that Gleason and McCurry were slated to pitch today.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 5th, 2011, 4:15 pm

Zach wrote:Are any orioles prospects going to any of the other off season leagues (Australian, Dominican, Mexico, etc...)? I know last year we had a few who took this route after not being sent to the Arizona fall league, but I haven't heard any news about this. It would be a great opportunity for some of these prospects who are supposed to be an integral part of this 2014 wave to continue to work on skills and face competition.

Not that I know of, but I will find out for you.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 5th, 2011, 4:15 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Don said that Gleason and McCurry were slated to pitch today.

That's correct; they are pitching today. Although no O's hitters in the lineup.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 6th, 2011, 11:51 am

According to Don, Chorye Spoone is now a free agent and Steve Johnson has taken Spoone's spot on the AFL roster.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by ofahn » October 6th, 2011, 2:25 pm

This is a real opportunity for Johnson. I hope he takes advantage of it.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #9 by Matt P » October 6th, 2011, 6:30 pm

Glad to see Steve Johnson staying in the organization and having a good debut in the AFL.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 6th, 2011, 10:50 pm

Johnson probably doesn't have a future as a starter but I think he could be a solid middle reliever in a bigger park.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Tucker Blair » October 7th, 2011, 9:07 am

Jordan wrote:Johnson probably doesn't have a future as a starter but I think he could be a solid middle reliever in a bigger park.

I agree I have seen him pitch since his HS days. I hope he continues to be successful.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #12 by Don » October 18th, 2011, 7:43 pm

Some things that need to be ironed out

Brian Ward - Offensively I would like to see him narrow his stance and tick the hands up slightly. I think it would give him an easier turn and maybe a bit more out of the core into his swing. It might also allow him to get a tad quicker through the zone. It is not bad by any means, but I have to look at something to improve him offensively. Defensively, he can make a dent as a backup catcher rather quickly.

Joe Mahoney - It sounds as if I bash this young man every time I talk about him, but it is just that I see something that could vault him to everyday type. If he got a bit more away from the loading action to simplify his approach, I do not think it takes away from his power. I want him to extend himself with the pitch rather than trying to turn on everything.

Xavier Avery - He needs patience and attack mistakes more often. I think he just needs to continue to see at bats. It might take more than the standard requisite number before he finally turns the raw ability into skill.

Cole McCurry - I like the stuff and think the movement gives him the ability to miss bats. I want to see him pound the zone inside and work the cutter inside to left handed batters. If he can learn to saw them off, he should be in next years bullpen.

Sean Gleason - He is throwing 94-95 and touching 97 mph in Arizona. It lacks movement and I would rather see a heavy does of 2 seam fastballs from him. I like the split finger at times, but it needs consistency. He throws hard and either a 2 seam or slider is all the kid needs to be a back of the bullpen arm.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #13 by j.q. higgins » October 19th, 2011, 8:54 am

how would you say ward stacks up against caleb joseph?

re: avery

are his xbh in az more a function of developing power or avery using the field and his speed?
j.q. higgins
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #14 by Don » October 19th, 2011, 9:48 am

His better comp is Anthony Gose. I think Avery does a better job at plate coverage and has the ability to spray the ball to all fields. Goes has more power, better defender, uses speed effectively in games. Both guys are free swingers and will tally a good percentage of unproductive outs.

I think Goes has come to a point in his game defensively, with the power in the stick, that he can profile as an everyday player in the near future. I think you can live with the unproductive aspects and maybe he can use his speed in small ball to limit those ineffective times at the plate.

Avery is still raw defensively and does not have the first step instinct down enough to live with any offensive holes. He must continue to learn to use his speed in game. He does a solid job moving through the bases, but with his athleticism the guy should be cruising from first to second on every first pitch. I think he ends up with a chance at 15 HR power, but he needs to be more selective to see an average contact rate. He has time to iron out the wrinkles, but at this stage without the improvements he may/may not be the everyday type. If he improves defensively, you can live with the bat because of the position.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #15 by Shorebirdfan » October 20th, 2011, 8:41 pm

I would be estatic if Avery could become Gose. At a minimum I see him as Gose 2 years ago. He needs a lot more work to be at the point Gose is today.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

Next

Return to Minor Leagues