Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Would You Trade Adam Jones For …….?

Re: Would You Trade Adam Jones For …….?

PostPost #31 by BuckMagic » October 1st, 2011, 10:54 pm

Jordan wrote:
ofahn wrote:
Rising O's wrote:If Jones is willing to give the Orioles two years of free agency, and we trade Markakis, I see no reason why he could not be moved to RF. When you average 95 losses a year everything has to be discussed.

I can understand your reluctance to give up Jones but he has real value in the trade market and we have many holes to fill. That's not going to get fixed by clipping coupons or avoiding hard decisions.

They should deal him for any young pitching they can get.

I would really look into dealing him to the Braves. Even if they can get one of Teheran, Delgado, or Minor, that's a good trade for O's.
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #32 by Rising O's » October 2nd, 2011, 12:04 pm

If he says I'm not interested in a short term extension (or longer) then you move him. But I think because of his age he should be part of the long term discussion.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #33 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 2nd, 2011, 8:29 pm

Rising O's wrote:If he says I'm not interested in a short term extension (or longer) then you move him. But I think because of his age he should be part of the long term discussion.

My only problem with giving Jones an extension is that, in the AL East, you need superstars at every position. You need everyday players that add 5+ wins to your team. I'm not sure Jones does that.

Maybe in another division he's a CF that should be kept, but if the Orioles can upgrade, they should do it. I wouldn't extend him if I were GM.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #34 by LA Detective » October 5th, 2011, 9:59 pm

how bout AJ for Ryan Zimmerman...Gold Glove 3b and Cleanup hitter...We would have to sweeten it a little but i thought this two years ago when AJ was an all-star and gold glover...Angle goes to CF and Reimold or FA to LF....
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #35 by ofahn » October 5th, 2011, 10:08 pm

LA Detective wrote:how bout AJ for Ryan Zimmerman...Gold Glove 3b and Cleanup hitter...We would have to sweeten it a little but i thought this two years ago when AJ was an all-star and gold glover...Angle goes to CF and Reimold or FA to LF....

I don't think that Washington would be interested in doing that. They might give up pitching prospects but not one of their cornerstones.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #36 by OriolesRedskins28 » October 5th, 2011, 11:10 pm

Jordan wrote:
Rising O's wrote:If he says I'm not interested in a short term extension (or longer) then you move him. But I think because of his age he should be part of the long term discussion.

My only problem with giving Jones an extension is that, in the AL East, you need superstars at every position. You need everyday players that add 5+ wins to your team. I'm not sure Jones does that.

Maybe in another division he's a CF that should be kept, but if the Orioles can upgrade, they should do it. I wouldn't extend him if I were GM.

I couldn't agree more. I think he's peaked as a player and will only regress defensively and offensively (due to his atrocious plate discipline). He's also proven to be slightly injury prone over the last two years, missing ten games each year which isn't much of a problem but should still be noted when considering a possible extension, especially considering that he (currently) plays an athletically demanding position. Not to mention his value will go down when he inevitably shifts to a corner outfield spot which most people on this site (myself included) seem to think should happen sooner rather than later. I would love it if they could get a similar package to the one that the Astros received from the Phillies for Hunter Pence. There's no way the Nats would trade Zimmerman for Jones, their values aren't even close, the best option would be to grab a couple upper tier prospects whos MLB ETAs would be around 2013-14 when the Orioles could realistically be ready to make some noise. Trade him while his value is still relatively high!
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #37 by ofahn » October 6th, 2011, 9:51 am

If you're interested here's MASN's Roch Kubatko's POV on the subject.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2011/10/should-jones-stay-or-should-he-go.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #38 by Matt P » October 6th, 2011, 9:57 am

If I'm trading Jones this off season I want two legit prospects for him. One of them has to be a starter and the other has to be either a starter, 3B, or 1B. That way we could have 3/4 of our future infield in the minors (Machado, Schoop, + prospect obtained from Jones) as well as a future top of the rotation starter or we could have two future top of the rotation starters.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #39 by ofahn » October 6th, 2011, 10:07 am

Matt P wrote:If I'm trading Jones this off season I want two legit prospects for him. One of them has to be a starter and the other has to be either a starter, 3B, or 1B. That way we could have 3/4 of our future infield in the minors (Machado, Schoop, + prospect obtained from Jones) as well as a future top of the rotation starter or we could have two future top of the rotation starters.

With which teams and for which players would you want to trade?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #40 by Matt P » October 6th, 2011, 10:28 am

ofahn wrote:
Matt P wrote:If I'm trading Jones this off season I want two legit prospects for him. One of them has to be a starter and the other has to be either a starter, 3B, or 1B. That way we could have 3/4 of our future infield in the minors (Machado, Schoop, + prospect obtained from Jones) as well as a future top of the rotation starter or we could have two future top of the rotation starters.

With which teams and for which players would you want to trade?

I don't know exactly, haven't ever really thought about it until opening this thread. I'd say the Giants and Braves are the first two that pop in my head. Braves have some good young pitching that I would be interested in. Giants don't really have much other than players on the big league roster already like Belt or Bumgarner. No way the Giants would give up both Belt and Bumgarner for Jones though.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #41 by ofahn » October 6th, 2011, 10:48 am

Giants, Braves, Nationals all need a CF and have pitching to trade.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #42 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 6th, 2011, 11:44 am

ofahn wrote:If you're interested here's MASN's Roch Kubatko's POV on the subject.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2011/10/should-jones-stay-or-should-he-go.html

Sure, if they can find a team that is willing to give them a possible TOR starter then pull the trigger.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #43 by ofahn » October 6th, 2011, 2:23 pm

Jordan wrote:Sure, if they can find a team that is willing to give them a possible TOR starter then pull the trigger.

I would focus on Bumgarner and Jordan Zimmerman first. If you can't make those deals THEN look at some other options.

I think that those deals are more possible than you might think. San Fransisco NEEDS a a quality CF and Jones will probably be the best value on the market. They want to win noe and their choice is to overpay on the "free" agent market (a lesson that you might think they learned with Rowand, Zito, Renteria) or dip into their strength for a guy that can help them now and is on the rise. We might have to expand the deal to include prospects on each side but this deal can work for both sides.

The Nationals REALLY want a CF and have some quality pitching prospects in system or coming back from injury Strasburg). Jordan is a lot to give up but they learned last July that you can't acquire a quality CF unless you're willing to pay the price.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #44 by Matt P » October 6th, 2011, 6:36 pm

If you were the Nationals would you give up Zimmermann for Jones?
If you were the Giants would you give up Bumgarner for Jones?

I don't think I would if I was calling the shots for either organization.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #45 by ofahn » October 6th, 2011, 6:45 pm

Matt P wrote:If you were the Nationals would you give up Zimmermann for Jones?
If you were the Giants would you give up Bumgarner for Jones?

I don't think I would if I was calling the shots for either organization.

I think you might be surprised what both of those organizations will do this winter.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles