Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Why I am not high on Matt Angle

Why I am not high on Matt Angle

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » October 5th, 2011, 9:39 pm

I personally do not think he is more than a 4th OF at best.
He has excellent speed, and is a good defender.
He could be a solid pinch runner as well.
But what use is having a one dimensional player that is below average with the bat?

Check out his wOBP over his career:

Year Class wOBA PA
2007 A- .402 287
2008 A .362 478
2009 A+ .345 478
2010 AA .410 70
2010 AAA .304 399
2011 AAA .328 489
2011 MLB .268 81

-It is trending downwards. While a standard drop is usually accurate, these drops are somewhat startling for a guy who is supposed to be built around speed. He also has minimal power and I doubt he will be gaining that anytime soon.
The same could be said about Kyle Hudson.
-The Orioles need to get away from these one dimensional players who essentially are not going to cut it in the majors. Rarely do these kind of players work out, or become long lasting MLB players. The closest example I could think of was Scott Podsednik. He had a good career, but far from excellent.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Why I am not high on Matt Angle

PostPost #2 by OriolesRedskins28 » October 5th, 2011, 11:02 pm

Agreed. They have enough guys like that in the system (Angle, Hudson, Reuttiger, Mummey) where they really don't need to continue to spend a top ten round draft pick on a similar player every year.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #3 by Matt P » October 6th, 2011, 9:47 am

I don't think many people think he is ever going to be anything more than a 4th OF.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 6th, 2011, 11:45 am

Matt P wrote:I don't think many people think he is ever going to be anything more than a 4th OF.

His defense is well above-average. He has plus speed and steals a lot of bases. He can hit for average, put the ball in play, and walks a lot.

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=539&p=3897#p3897
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #5 by Matt P » October 6th, 2011, 1:16 pm

Jordan wrote:
Matt P wrote:I don't think many people think he is ever going to be anything more than a 4th OF.

His defense is well above-average. He has plus speed and steals a lot of bases. He can hit for average, put the ball in play, and walks a lot.

What makes you think he will hit for average in the majors?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 6th, 2011, 10:54 pm

Matt P wrote:
Jordan wrote:

What makes you think he will hit for average in the majors?

In no way am I saying he will hit .300, but I can see him hitting ~.270 with a .340-.350 OBP with a lot of steals.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #7 by Rising O's » October 7th, 2011, 5:58 am

If he can be slightly less than Gardner then we have ourselves a much needed asset on the 25 man. I'm happy he got some time this year in the majors and enough ABs to give him a spring board for 2012. We need a lead-off hitter desperately with little on the free agent market which can fill that need.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #8 by ofahn » October 7th, 2011, 7:42 am

Jordan wrote:In no way am I saying he will hit .300, but I can see him hitting ~.270 with a .340-.350 OBP with a lot of steals.

If he can do that then we can trade Jones for pitching and Angle will be a bridge player until we can find someone better.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #9 by Tucker Blair » October 7th, 2011, 8:56 am

Rising O's wrote:If he can be slightly less than Gardner then we have ourselves a much needed asset on the 25 man. I'm happy he got some time this year in the majors and enough ABs to give him a spring board for 2012. We need a lead-off hitter desperately with little on the free agent market which can fill that need.

I agree about letting him get enough playing time this season. I guess I have been a little too jumpy on him, but I did admit my gripes about him. I will not be surprised if he turns out to be a player as Jordan described above, but I'll admit that I personally do not expect it. This is the Orioles we are talking about haha!!
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #10 by Rising O's » October 7th, 2011, 5:07 pm

Unfortunately there seems to be a disconnect between Jordan and the Stockstill brothers.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

Return to Baltimore Orioles