Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Who starts in left field next year?

Re: Who starts in left field next year?

PostPost #16 by Matt P » October 4th, 2011, 2:01 pm

There is absolutely no way that Matt Angle should have any shot at being the starting LF next season. Nolan Reimold has proven he can handle it and out of the internal options I believe he deserves it more than the others. Luke Scott is a worse defensive LF than Nolan is, I would only use him as a DH and occassional starts in LF/1B not a full time LF. I believe the best thing the O's could do is to sign or trade for next seasons LF. David DeJesus, Michael Cuddyer, Coco Crisp are all options via Free Agency, not sure exactly who would be available via trade.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Who starts in left field next year?

PostPost #17 by ofahn » October 4th, 2011, 2:55 pm

Matt P wrote:David DeJesus, Michael Cuddyer, Coco Crisp are all options via Free Agency


Cuddyer is a real ball player but he's going to be in demand and will have his pick of teams. I'll pass on the rest.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4409
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Who starts in left field next year?

PostPost #18 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 4th, 2011, 9:27 pm

Matt P wrote:There is absolutely no way that Matt Angle should have any shot at being the starting LF next season. Nolan Reimold has proven he can handle it and out of the internal options I believe he deserves it more than the others. Luke Scott is a worse defensive LF than Nolan is, I would only use him as a DH and occassional starts in LF/1B not a full time LF. I believe the best thing the O's could do is to sign or trade for next seasons LF. David DeJesus, Michael Cuddyer, Coco Crisp are all options via Free Agency, not sure exactly who would be available via trade.

Of course not. I really believe Nolan has five above-average tools. LF is not the place I'd be looking to upgrade though. I'm looking at 1B, 2B, and SP. 3B instead of 1B if Reynolds plays 1B.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2590
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: Who starts in left field next year?

PostPost #19 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 4th, 2011, 9:28 pm

ofahn wrote:
Matt P wrote:David DeJesus, Michael Cuddyer, Coco Crisp are all options via Free Agency


Cuddyer is a real ball player but he's going to be in demand and will have his pick of teams. I'll pass on the rest.

Not interested in him at all. He had a solid year, but Remiold could put up better or similar numbers.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2590
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: Who starts in left field next year?

PostPost #20 by ofahn » October 4th, 2011, 9:50 pm

If we were a playoff team Cuddyer is the kind of complimentary player you would want. We're not there yet.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4409
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Who starts in left field next year?

PostPost #21 by Matt P » October 5th, 2011, 9:05 pm

ofahn wrote:
Matt P wrote:David DeJesus, Michael Cuddyer, Coco Crisp are all options via Free Agency


Cuddyer is a real ball player but he's going to be in demand and will have his pick of teams. I'll pass on the rest.

What's wrong with DeJesus? Solid defensive player who knows how to get on base. Him in LF batting 2nd could essentially replace Markakis and we can move Reimold to RF. He had a disappointing season in Oakland and we may be able to get him cheap. It would save a lot of money to have him in LF with Reimold in RF than it would to have Markakis in RF and Reimold in LF and the production would be about the same.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Who starts in left field next year?

PostPost #22 by LA Detective » October 5th, 2011, 9:30 pm

Look what Angle did hitting .177 with an OBA over 100 points higher and stole bases, and played D and made things happen and they won games when he played and played his butt off ...All he has to do is hit .275 and he is huge for us.....275/.360 OBA 40 SBs....He has hit and got on base at every level... Reimold at DH/part time OF...Double his numbers to match 550 ABs this year and he was 26 hrs and 90 RBIs and .350 plus OBA...He should of been the DH since July...
LA Detective
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 293
Joined: July 2011
Reputation Score: 14

Re: Who starts in left field next year?

PostPost #23 by Matt P » October 6th, 2011, 9:45 am

LA Detective wrote:Look what Angle did hitting .177 with an OBA over 100 points higher and stole bases, and played D and made things happen and they won games when he played and played his butt off ...All he has to do is hit .275 and he is huge for us.....275/.360 OBA 40 SBs....He has hit and got on base at every level... Reimold at DH/part time OF...Double his numbers to match 550 ABs this year and he was 26 hrs and 90 RBIs and .350 plus OBA...He should of been the DH since July...

His OBP actually got worse every time he was promoted and played in more than just a handful of games in the league he got promoted to. He hasn't hit over .275 since AA what makes you think he can hit .275 in Baltimore? His defense actually wasn't that impressive but I think with a full off season of taking fly balls in left he would be good.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Who starts in left field next year?

PostPost #24 by A_K » October 6th, 2011, 10:39 am

Best case scenario for Angle is a Sam Fuld-like relevance. But doesn't the love affair with Fuld seem like a lifetime ago? While I think Tampa was right to hold Jennings in the minors through the majority of the season, look how much better they became when he started playing everyday (unsustainable August BABIP not withstanding).

Angle's a nice replacement-level player to have in any organization. If your everyday players suffer a few injuries, you can reach down and know you're at least getting a good defensive player with speed on the bases. But I don't see how you pencil him into an everyday position if your intention is to become a competitive team.

Now, if your intention is to begin the club's first real rebuilding phase, and Angle becomes a starter because you succeed in trading the guys in front of him for valuable prospects, that's a different story, and one I could absolutely get behind.
A_K
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 608
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 43

Re: Who starts in left field next year?

PostPost #25 by ofahn » October 6th, 2011, 10:46 am

A_K wrote:Now, if your intention is to begin the club's first real rebuilding phase, and Angle becomes a starter because you succeed in trading the guys in front of him for valuable prospects, that's a different story, and one I could absolutely get behind.


If it meant getting a Madison Bumgarner or Jordan Zimmerman I would be happy to play Angle in CF in place of a traded Jones.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4409
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85


Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron