Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Is Trading Markakis an Option?

Is Trading Markakis an Option?

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » October 3rd, 2011, 2:38 pm

I have seen this idea thrown around a few times on this forum, and in other places.

Obviously, Markakis has not lived up to the luxurious 66.1 Mil contract he signed. He has continued to be a good defensive RF, but that is about the height of his work. His power numbers have slowly been declining (40+ doubles over the past 4 years, down to 31 this year).
There has been a notable decrease in his slugging %.
2008 .491
2009 .453
2010 .436
2011 .406

While he is still a productive hitter and is a Work Horse (Playing in over 95% of the games each year), he has not grown into the type of player that his contract warrants. This is why I bring up the question whether the Orioles should look into trading Markakis. What could they even get for him at this point? And who could take over for him if they did indeed trade him.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

Re: Is Trading Markakis an Option?

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 3rd, 2011, 7:36 pm

If they can find a trade partner they should pull the trigger. I'd then move Reimold over to RF and let Angle or even Reynolds take over LF.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by ofahn » October 3rd, 2011, 7:46 pm

Jordan wrote:Reynolds take over LF

Do you think Reynolds could be an average or better defender in LF?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 3rd, 2011, 11:20 pm

ofahn wrote:
Jordan wrote:Reynolds take over LF

Do you think Reynolds could be an average or better defender in LF?

Probably about average. Solid speed, obvious arm strength, just need to see how his reads and routes are.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Rising O's » October 4th, 2011, 2:16 am

The nugget is protected by Buck so what can a fan say? Have you ever looked at his numbers based on batting order? Yikes. That's what makes the 42 million remaining on the contract hurt. 14 million a year for a #2 hitter is expensive, especially for a team that loses 94 games a year. The fact that he failed to even attempt to steal bases the previous two years indicates a lack of effort to me, failing to use every ounce of talent to help your team win. At least try, its not like by running you are taking the bat out of our clean-up hitters hands because we never had one.

Anyway, it should be clear I would like to see him traded. His age puts him outside the core the Orioles should be looking at and again, we're losing with him so may as well lose without him if you can get prospects who can help down the road. I think there are a few contenders that might like to have him and hope he can renew himself outside of Baltimore. Heck, you can point to his strong post ASB numbers as proof the talent is still there (even if I can't pinpoint to his direct impact on us winning games).
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #6 by Tucker Blair » October 4th, 2011, 9:23 am

Rising O's wrote:The nugget is protected by Buck so what can a fan say? Have you ever looked at his numbers based on batting order? Yikes. That's what makes the 42 million remaining on the contract hurt. 14 million a year for a #2 hitter is expensive, especially for a team that loses 94 games a year. The fact that he failed to even attempt to steal bases the previous two years indicates a lack of effort to me, failing to use every ounce of talent to help your team win. At least try, its not like by running you are taking the bat out of our clean-up hitters hands because we never had one.

Anyway, it should be clear I would like to see him traded. His age puts him outside the core the Orioles should be looking at and again, we're losing with him so may as well lose without him if you can get prospects who can help down the road. I think there are a few contenders that might like to have him and hope he can renew himself outside of Baltimore. Heck, you can point to his strong post ASB numbers as proof the talent is still there (even if I can't pinpoint to his direct impact on us winning games).

I agree, that type of money for a 2 hitter is quite overdoing it. I really do not think the Orioles would be that much worse off if they did indeed trade him. I think there are teams out there, like the Braves or Giants, that would bite the bullet and give up something substantial for him. The one thing we can all agree on though, is he has been a disappointment. He has been my favorite Orioles player for a long time, but I think it may indeed be time to look in other directions.

One more quick note; His value is probably the lowest it has been in ever, so it might honestly be a better idea to wait until he had a strong first half of a season or showed a little more improvement before dealing him.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #7 by Matt P » October 4th, 2011, 2:08 pm

It shouldn't just be an option, it should be a priority. There is no way a mediocre defensive RF (yes, he has a great arm but overall his defense is mediocre) with a sub .800 OPS is worth over 15 million per year. He is a bottom of the order hitter at this point and the O's really need to look into trying to dump his salary.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 4th, 2011, 9:29 pm

Matt P wrote:It shouldn't just be an option, it should be a priority. There is no way a mediocre defensive RF (yes, he has a great arm but overall his defense is mediocre) with a sub .800 OPS is worth over 15 million per year. He is a bottom of the order hitter at this point and the O's really need to look into trying to dump his salary.

I'd say he's a tick above-average. Overall he's not a terrible player, but yes, definitely not worth $15 million.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by A_K » October 5th, 2011, 3:52 pm

Guys, why would anyone trade for a guy who fits the description that we all seem to agree applies to Markakis? Not only does his contract make him a terrible investment for a rebuilding team, it also-- worst of all-- makes him untradeable. Chances are we'll start hearing his name mentioned as one of the worst contracts in baseball within the next year or two.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #10 by Tucker Blair » October 5th, 2011, 4:11 pm

A_K wrote:Guys, why would anyone trade for a guy who fits the description that we all seem to agree applies to Markakis? Not only does his contract make him a terrible investment for a rebuilding team, it also-- worst of all-- makes him untradeable. Chances are we'll start hearing his name mentioned as one of the worst contracts in baseball within the next year or two.

He is not close to being one of the worst contracts in baseball. He just simply does not fit on a below average team that is not competing (It took me a while to come to senses with this, as he is my favorite player on the team). A team like the Giants or Braves could use a guy like this in their OF. Obviously the Orioles would need to eat some of his contract, but it's not as if he would be impossible to trade.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #11 by A_K » October 5th, 2011, 4:17 pm

After Vernon Wells was traded, it's fair to say that no one is impossible to trade. That much is true.

But Markakis offers almost nothing. He's an average defender and a below average hitter (for his position) that makes $15 mil a year. Hard to imagine any team with playoff aspirations viewing him as the missing piece, though it would be quite a Sabean-esque move, now that you mention it.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #12 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 5th, 2011, 4:20 pm

A_K wrote:Guys, why would anyone trade for a guy who fits the description that we all seem to agree applies to Markakis? Not only does his contract make him a terrible investment for a rebuilding team, it also-- worst of all-- makes him untradeable. Chances are we'll start hearing his name mentioned as one of the worst contracts in baseball within the next year or two.

I thought the same thing. But I do know there were at least two offers for him around this past trade deadline. Both from NL clubs.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by DougDE » October 5th, 2011, 5:28 pm

Jordan wrote:
Matt P wrote:It shouldn't just be an option, it should be a priority. There is no way a mediocre defensive RF (yes, he has a great arm but overall his defense is mediocre) with a sub .800 OPS is worth over 15 million per year. He is a bottom of the order hitter at this point and the O's really need to look into trying to dump his salary.

I'd say he's a tick above-average. Overall he's not a terrible player, but yes, definitely not worth $15 million.

Doesnt Markakis have 4 years left? And 42 million? I'm just going by what's being said on here but that doesnt seem to be 15 million a year to me
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #14 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 5th, 2011, 7:17 pm

DougDE wrote:
Jordan wrote:

Doesnt Markakis have 4 years left? And 42 million? I'm just going by what's being said on here but that doesnt seem to be 15 million a year to me

Nick's contract info via Cot's:

6 years/$66M (2009-14)

• signed extension with Baltimore 1/21/09 (avoided arbitration, $5M-$2.9M)
  • $2.1M signing bonus ($1M paid on approval, $1.1M paid 4/2010)
  • 09:$3M, 10:$6.75M, 11:$10.25M, 12:$12M, 13:$15M, 14:$15M, 15:$17.5M club option ($2M buyout)
  • if club exercises 2015 option, Markakis may void, forfeit buyout
  • 2010-14 salaries may increase by $0.5M with 1) All Star or 2) 1st-10th finish in MVP vote in each previous season
  • limited no-trade clause (may block deals to 8 clubs)
  • award bonuses: $0.2M each for MVP, WS MVP; $0.1M for LCS MVP; $75,000 each for Silver Slugger, Gold Glove
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by Matt P » October 5th, 2011, 8:31 pm

Jordan wrote:

I'm not saying he's terrible just that he's not worth what he is going to be making. I like him, I appreciate that he played his heart out when the team had even less talent on it than it does now, but he just isn't worth the money he is going to be making.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles