Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

2012 infield, how much change to expect

Re: 2012 infield, how much change to expect

PostPost #16 by ofahn » September 30th, 2011, 11:46 am

Let's focus on pitching and defense before we spend money that could be better used somewhere else on one player.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: 2012 infield, how much change to expect

PostPost #17 by Shorebirdfan » September 30th, 2011, 8:45 pm

I just don't think this is where our issues are. Reynolds looked better at 1B than 3B and at the plate was as advertised. 2B is a question mark based mainly on Roberts health, but I feel like Andino (even though I've never been a fan) and Adams have proved they can fill the roll well. Hardy is as solid a SS as we have seen since Cal and 3B can be filled by Davis spelled by Andino. Could we upgrade at 3B, sure but pitching, pitching, pitching should be the off season focus.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 559
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 15

Re: 2012 infield, how much change to expect

PostPost #18 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 1st, 2011, 12:22 am

ofahn wrote:Let's focus on pitching and defense before we spend money that could be better used somewhere else on one player.

Agreed. Our offense was about average last year, but our pitching was bottom five in the majors and our defense was also bottom five, if not the worst in the majors.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: 2012 infield, how much change to expect

PostPost #19 by Rising O's » October 1st, 2011, 10:44 am

Based on minor league numbers I think flipping Davis and Reynolds would make the defense even worse. I'd leave where they are and hope Reynolds can at least be slightly below average at 3rd.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 991
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 10

Re: 2012 infield, how much change to expect

PostPost #20 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 1st, 2011, 10:50 am

Rising O's wrote:Based on minor league numbers I think flipping Davis and Reynolds would make the defense even worse. I'd leave where they are and hope Reynolds can at least be slightly below average at 3rd.

That's my thinking as well.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: 2012 infield, how much change to expect

PostPost #21 by ofahn » October 1st, 2011, 1:58 pm

I hold out hope that we will be able to acquire a veteran 3B with strong defensive skills.

Aramis Ramirez is the FA the big spending fools will chase after. That leaves David Wright and Michael Young via trade. I think the Mets will want to move Wright and the Rangers may have to move Young's contract to maintain their payroll with arbitration raises. If we're willing to pay either of those salaries we will have our bridge to the Cavalry (The Sequel) in 2014.

I just think we should be concentrating on defense first.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: 2012 infield, how much change to expect

PostPost #22 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 1st, 2011, 3:01 pm

ofahn wrote:I hold out hope that we will be able to acquire a veteran 3B with strong defensive skills.

Aramis Ramirez is the FA the big spending fools will chase after. That leaves David Wright and Michael Young via trade. I think the Mets will want to move Wright and the Rangers may have to move Young's contract to maintain their payroll with arbitration raises. If we're willing to pay either of those salaries we will have our bridge to the Cavalry (The Sequel) in 2014.

I just think we should be concentrating on defense first.

Wright would obviously be a great addition but he'd require a lot to get. Young is more easily attainable but his defense is below average at just about every position. Ramirez also isn't a great defender from what I've read.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: 2012 infield, how much change to expect

PostPost #23 by ofahn » October 1st, 2011, 5:09 pm

Jordan wrote:Wright would obviously be a great addition but he'd require a lot to get.


It depends on who is left standing when the music stops. If it's Wright the price will drop to taking all of his contract and a mid level prospect or most of his money and a better prospect. The key thing is we will need a GM that will pull the trigger fast when he sees an opportunity.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: 2012 infield, how much change to expect

PostPost #24 by BuckMagic » October 1st, 2011, 11:00 pm

ofahn wrote:
Jordan wrote:Wright would obviously be a great addition but he'd require a lot to get.


It depends on who is left standing when the music stops. If it's Wright the price will drop to taking all of his contract and a mid level prospect or most of his money and a better prospect. The key thing is we will need a GM that will pull the trigger fast when he sees an opportunity.


I feel like that would be Buck. (Buck yeah!)
User avatar
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 323
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 5

Re: 2012 infield, how much change to expect

PostPost #25 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 2nd, 2011, 12:24 pm

ofahn wrote:
Jordan wrote:Wright would obviously be a great addition but he'd require a lot to get.


It depends on who is left standing when the music stops. If it's Wright the price will drop to taking all of his contract and a mid level prospect or most of his money and a better prospect. The key thing is we will need a GM that will pull the trigger fast when he sees an opportunity.

MacPhail didn't pull the trigger right away but all of his trades turned out to be pretty good.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: 2012 infield, how much change to expect

PostPost #26 by ofahn » October 2nd, 2011, 12:39 pm

Jordan wrote:MacPhail didn't pull the trigger right away but all of his trades turned out to be pretty good.


I don't have an issue with the trades he made. I have an issue with the trades he didn't make because he couldn't see the path to getting it done or he couldn't make it happen fast enough.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: 2012 infield, how much change to expect

PostPost #27 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 2nd, 2011, 8:32 pm

ofahn wrote:
Jordan wrote:MacPhail didn't pull the trigger right away but all of his trades turned out to be pretty good.


I don't have an issue with the trades he made. I have an issue with the trades he didn't make because he couldn't see the path to getting it done or he couldn't make it happen fast enough.

That's a good point. Should have dealt Hardy.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: 2012 infield, how much change to expect

PostPost #28 by BuckMagic » October 2nd, 2011, 9:33 pm

Jordan wrote:
ofahn wrote:
Jordan wrote:MacPhail didn't pull the trigger right away but all of his trades turned out to be pretty good.


I don't have an issue with the trades he made. I have an issue with the trades he didn't make because he couldn't see the path to getting it done or he couldn't make it happen fast enough.

That's a good point. Should have dealt Hardy.


But....now they have someone to hold down the SS position who actually contributes positively to the team. That is something we have not had for years!!!
User avatar
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 323
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 5

Re: 2012 infield, how much change to expect

PostPost #29 by Rising O's » October 3rd, 2011, 1:55 pm

Agreed even though I was more for Hardy being traded. You need some good clubhouse guys who want to lead this team and want guys to play the game the correct way. You can hope that Hardy is that kind of guy and has had an influence over say Robert Andino and Ryan Adams.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 991
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 10

Re: 2012 infield, how much change to expect

PostPost #30 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 4th, 2011, 9:32 pm

Rising O's wrote:Agreed even though I was more for Hardy being traded. You need some good clubhouse guys who want to lead this team and want guys to play the game the correct way. You can hope that Hardy is that kind of guy and has had an influence over say Robert Andino and Ryan Adams.

Definitely true. I'm hoping Wieters becomes the main guy in the clubhouse soon.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57




PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron