Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Which Role Would You Prefer Buck Showalter to Take?

Which Role Would You Prefer Buck Showalter to Take?

PostPost #1 by ofahn » October 1st, 2011, 2:15 pm

As most of you know Buck Showalter is spending the weekend with his family in his Texas home deciding whether he would prefer to remain in the Orioles' dugout or take over the GM role in the Warehouse.

My preference would be for Buck to stay in the dugout BUT have a significant role in choosing the next GM AND having a clear understanding that he (Buck) will be included in the decision making process for the important aspects of building the farm system and the roster.

What's your thought?

A note: Roch Kubatko has done his usual outstanding work reporting on this subject http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2011/10/what-should-showalter-do.html and so many others this past season. IMO he's one of the best sports writers I have ever read and is part of every morning (and other parts of the day) for me. IF you haven't read him before you may find his objective, in depth, insightful, and witty posts addictive. I'm depending on Orioles Nation, Roch, and MLB Trade Rumors to help me survive another winter of "wait til next year".
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Which Role Would You Prefer Buck Showalter to Take?

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 1st, 2011, 3:02 pm

Here's the thing with Buck:

While he's here for the short term and might trade away young players that could help down the line, I wonder if he's the best guy for the GM job simply because he has Peter Angelos' trust.

Every other GM has to go through Angelos to make moves but I wonder if Showalter would have more space to do what he sees best without Angelos interfering.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by Shorebirdfan » October 1st, 2011, 4:05 pm

If Buck moves up I hear Terry Francona is looking for a job.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #4 by ofahn » October 1st, 2011, 5:03 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:Terry Francona is looking for a job.

No thank you.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Tucker Blair » October 1st, 2011, 8:04 pm

I think Buck has the best shot at being the most successful GM for the Orioles next season. As Jordan said, he will probably have more space to make moves under less scrutiny from Angelos.
However, I am a little concerned towards how much success he could have as GM simply because I am unaware of his talents in certain aspects such as trades, signing international talent, and the other usual GM traits that are often foreign to a manager.
I think Buck may be best staying in the Dugout and hiring someone who is not far off his own values and beliefs. Just as an example, Jon Hart is one name being thrown out there.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #6 by BuckMagic » October 1st, 2011, 11:01 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I think Buck has the best shot at being the most successful GM for the Orioles next season. As Jordan said, he will probably have more space to make moves under less scrutiny from Angelos.
However, I am a little concerned towards how much success he could have as GM simply because I am unaware of his talents in certain aspects such as trades, signing international talent, and the other usual GM traits that are often foreign to a manager.
I think Buck may be best staying in the Dugout and hiring someone who is not far off his own values and beliefs. Just as an example, Jon Hart is one name being thrown out there.

All I know is that Buck is actually VERY aware that the Orioles need to increase spending in the draft and especially the international markets. He's mentioned Venezuela previously.
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #7 by Rising O's » October 2nd, 2011, 12:00 pm

Player development. We need someone to go over our system with a fine toothed comb, get all those fleas and lice out. Poll could have worked here. ;)
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 2nd, 2011, 12:27 pm

Rising O's wrote:Player development. We need someone to go over our system with a fine toothed comb, get all those fleas and lice out. Poll could have worked here. ;)

Exactly. The next GM needs to get rid of Stockstill and fix everything else he sees wrong with the player development.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by ofahn » October 2nd, 2011, 12:37 pm

Jordan wrote:Exactly. The next GM needs to get rid of Stockstill and fix everything else he sees wrong with the player development.

About thirteen minutes after he's hired.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 2nd, 2011, 8:31 pm

ofahn wrote:
Jordan wrote:Exactly. The next GM needs to get rid of Stockstill and fix everything else he sees wrong with the player development.

About thirteen minutes after he's hired.

Or sooner.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by ofahn » October 6th, 2011, 4:55 pm

Bob Nightengale of USA Today is reporting today "There's "no chance" that manager Buck Showalter will move from the dugout to the GM's office".
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Matt P » October 6th, 2011, 6:34 pm

I would prefer him staying in the dugout while also being a major influence over what the GM does. He understands that we need to be much better at scouting, international scouting, international signing, and developing our players. He understands what it takes to win on the field in the American League as well. But, does he understand the in's and out's of contract negotiations, trade negotiations, etc.? I'm not sure. Get a GM that is on the same page as Buck, get someone who takes Buck's opinions very highly, and get someone that is not afraid to completely clean out the scouting and developing department and knows what he is doing.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #13 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 6th, 2011, 11:09 pm

ofahn wrote:Bob Nightengale of USA Today is reporting today "There's "no chance" that manager Buck Showalter will move from the dugout to the GM's office".

Saw that on Twitter. Glad to hear.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by ofahn » October 10th, 2011, 11:04 am

I'd like to see Buck have a meaningful role in choosing the next GM and be consulted about rebuilding the farm system and player moves BUT that's where it needs to end.

John McGraw was the last GM (owner)/manager I can think of and the game has changed too much since then for one person to handle both roles. Let's hire the right guy, convince Peter Angelos that he will need to substantially increase his investment into the player development process, and start the rebuilding process.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 10th, 2011, 10:07 pm

ofahn wrote:I'd like to see Buck have a meaningful role in choosing the next GM and be consulted about rebuilding the farm system and player moves BUT that's where it needs to end.

John McGraw was the last GM (owner)/manager I can think of and the game has changed too much since then for one person to handle both roles. Let's hire the right guy, convince Peter Angelos that he will need to substantially increase his investment into the player development process, and start the rebuilding process.

The good thing is, I think we can say for sure Buck understands that more needs to be put into player development. Angelos seems to trust him more than anyone in recent memory. Hopefully Buck can put this through Angelos' head.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles