Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

When did Brian Matusz's velocity really disappear?

When did Brian Matusz's velocity really disappear?

PostPost #1 by BuckMagic » September 30th, 2011, 11:22 am

I am reading over fangraphs and to my surprise Matusz's fastball actually averaged 89.9 mph for 2010, down to 88.0 in 2011. It was 91.5 in his rookie year. That's almost 4 mph gone!!! :o

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?pl ... #pitchtype

What has happened? I do not understand!
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: When did Brian Matusz's velocity really disappear?

PostPost #2 by ofahn » September 30th, 2011, 11:49 am

He wasn't in shape.

Matusz and Tillman are buddies and "work out" over the winter together. NEITHER of them came to Spring Training ready for the season. I hope they have learned a lesson.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by BuckMagic » September 30th, 2011, 12:04 pm

ofahn wrote:He wasn't in shape.

Matusz and Tillman are buddies and "work out" over the winter together. NEITHER of them came to Spring Training ready for the season. I hope they have learned a lesson.

Love the "work out" in quotes. Should push them to work harder for 2012! We can hope.
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

PostPost #4 by A_K » September 30th, 2011, 1:00 pm

The situation is even more alarming if you look back at his velocity in college.

He's no longer the pitcher he was when he drew all the acclaim that whetted our collective appetite.

It'd be comforting to think that the situation is as simple as him not being in shape when he reported to spring training. That's the easy explanation. The reality is far more alarming. His velocity has decreased every year since he was considered one of the top pitching prospects in all of baseball. Many of those who proclaimed him such have already begun distancing themselves from those expectations.

At this point, I'm hoping to hear that he's decided to undergo TJ surgery. Then we'll at least know why his performance has regressed so consistently, and while we'll have to wait a year for it, we'll at least be able to start looking forward to a viable recovery. I'm skeptical that squating and sprinting with Brady Anderson is going to get his fastball back up to the 93-94 it was at USD.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #5 by BuckMagic » September 30th, 2011, 5:27 pm

A_K wrote:The situation is even more alarming if you look back at his velocity in college.

He's no longer the pitcher he was when he drew all the acclaim that whetted our collective appetite.

It'd be comforting to think that the situation is as simple as him not being in shape when he reported to spring training. That's the easy explanation. The reality is far more alarming. His velocity has decreased every year since he was considered one of the top pitching prospects in all of baseball. Many of those who proclaimed him such have already begun distancing themselves from those expectations.

At this point, I'm hoping to hear that he's decided to undergo TJ surgery. Then we'll at least know why his performance has regressed so consistently, and while we'll have to wait a year for it, we'll at least be able to start looking forward to a viable recovery. I'm skeptical that squating and sprinting with Brady Anderson is going to get his fastball back up to the 93-94 it was at USD.

It's just amazing. 91.5 mph to 90, to 88. :o :o O's seem to be the only org it happens to. TJ could strengthen his arm but pitchers can only have that surgery twice. I would not expect them to just waste it with no apparent injury to the elbow. Also with MAtusz we cannot even be certain that the problem is with his arm strength. It could be that his core is not strong enough. Feel me? Who knows. I just hope it all gets resolved next year.
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

PostPost #6 by Rising O's » October 1st, 2011, 10:23 am

The plan to get himself in shape, especially for the lower body is great. It gives me hope he actually cares and wants to get better, unlike another lefty we used to have. But again the problem is he has nothing "mapped out" for building arm strength. Why aren't the Orioles taking a proactive approach with these guys? Buck is supposed to be a micromanager, so get it mapped out with them.

And API should be a banned training facility. Matusz, Tillman and Hobgood all used them this winter.

Does Nolan Ryan have the key to success?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/mi ... 67871.html

If you go just by starting statistics you can't argue with the results at the major league level. 2007 ERA of 5.50 down to 3.65, dropping each year. Innings pitched rising each year from 838 to 994. BA against falling from .293 to .246. 10 complete games and 19 shut-outs which topped the AL this year.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 1st, 2011, 10:53 am

That's an interesting article and could have something to do with the O's struggles developing pitchers. From what I know, they are very anti-long toss.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #8 by ofahn » October 1st, 2011, 1:42 pm

Rising O's wrote:And API should be a banned training facility. Matusz, Tillman and Hobgood all used them this winter.

Just attending is not a guarantee of success. Working hard and following the program can be.

Does Nolan Ryan have the key to success?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/mi%20...%2067871.html

If you go just by starting statistics you can't argue with the results at the major league level. 2007 ERA of 5.50 down to 3.65, dropping each year. Innings pitched rising each year from 838 to 994. BA against falling from .293 to .246. 10 complete games and 19 shut-outs which topped the AL this year.

How is ANY of this any different than what George Bamberger used to promote and teach? Working a pitcher's arm harder between starts and Capri pants are both back in style.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #9 by BuckMagic » October 1st, 2011, 10:50 pm

ofahn wrote:How is ANY of this any different than what George Bamberger used to promote and teach? Working a pitcher's arm harder between starts and Capri pants are both back in style.

Yes they are. But of course we should not expect the Orioles to pick up on this .......
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

PostPost #10 by Rising O's » October 2nd, 2011, 12:12 pm

Sports today is about what's hot if you're looking for proof in the pudding results, today's Rangers might be hot off the stove.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

Return to Baltimore Orioles