Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Would You Trade Adam Jones For …….?

Re: Would You Trade Adam Jones For …….?

PostPost #16 by dan72 » September 30th, 2011, 10:16 am

Prior to this season I would have moved Jones. I think the numbers Jones put up this year are probably going to be the norm for several years to come. Jones matured a lot this season and I would not move him unless the deal was so slanted in our favor. As for the Giants, they would move Cain before Bumgarner.

Avery is going to have to show me he can get on base and not make outs before we consider him a possibility for Camden Yards.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #17 by BuckMagic » September 30th, 2011, 11:26 am

Don, while they do need an overhaul do we really expect that to happen?! Especially if Buck moves to the GM spot I see him going for wins, not bringing in more youth.
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

PostPost #18 by BuckMagic » September 30th, 2011, 11:28 am

dan72 wrote:Prior to this season I would have moved Jones. I think the numbers Jones put up this year are probably going to be the norm for several years to come. Jones matured a lot this season and I would not move him unless the deal was so slanted in our favor. As for the Giants, they would move Cain before Bumgarner.

Avery is going to have to show me he can get on base and not make outs before we consider him a possibility for Camden Yards.

The numbers he put up are nothing special. He is a middle of the pack center fielder. I could name 10 CF's more valuable than him!!
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

PostPost #19 by ofahn » September 30th, 2011, 11:43 am

I would be interested in seeing that list.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #20 by BuckMagic » September 30th, 2011, 12:03 pm

ofahn wrote:I would be interested in seeing that list.

Easily better than Jones: Matt Kemp, Jacoby Ellsbury, Andrew McCutchen, Josh Hamilton, Curtis Granderson, Shane Victorino

Others: Peter Bourjos, Cameron Maybin, Chris Young, Colby Rasmus, Michael Bourn, Chris Young

On the bubble: Drew Stubbs, Dernard Span
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

PostPost #21 by ofahn » September 30th, 2011, 12:53 pm

I would agree with Matt Kemp, Jacoby Ellsbury, Andrew McCutchen, Josh Hamilton, Curtis Granderson. Jones is next on that list which makes him the most trade-able commodity. Matt Kemp might get traded but with only one year left on his contract he would not get as good a return.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by BuckMagic » September 30th, 2011, 5:25 pm

ofahn wrote:I would agree with Matt Kemp, Jacoby Ellsbury, Andrew McCutchen, Josh Hamilton, Curtis Granderson. Jones is next on that list which makes him the most trade-able commodity. Matt Kemp might get traded but with only one year left on his contract he would not get as good a return.

I would take Maybin, Bourjos and Rasmus over Jones in a second.

If you asked a non-Oriole fan where they rank Jones, they'd probably say something similar to what I've posted.
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

PostPost #23 by ofahn » September 30th, 2011, 6:06 pm

That might be true but I'm not sure how many professional talent evaluators would................
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #24 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 30th, 2011, 7:29 pm

ofahn wrote:That might be true but I'm not sure how many professional talent evaluators would................

I would take Matt Kemp, Jacoby Ellsbury, Andrew McCutchen, Josh Hamilton, Curtis Granderson, and Peter Bourjos over Jones. That's it.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #25 by Shorebirdfan » September 30th, 2011, 9:07 pm

I think if Matt Angle had hit .270 in his limitd playing time, we wouldn't be having this discussion. In 2010 Jones was asked to be the power hitter. With Reynolds, Hardy and Wieters now also plashing power, that need is no longer there. To me that reduces his value in the line up and increases his trade value.

To me, trades are about 2 things. 1. What do you get back in return for a traded player. 2. How large is the drop off with the guy you plug in the hole that is created. With Angle the only loss is the power. He is as good (better IMO) defensively and brings a much needed top of the order base stealer to the club.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #26 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 1st, 2011, 12:36 am

Shorebirdfan wrote:I think if Matt Angle had hit .270 in his limitd playing time, we wouldn't be having this discussion. In 2010 Jones was asked to be the power hitter. With Reynolds, Hardy and Wieters now also plashing power, that need is no longer there. To me that reduces his value in the line up and increases his trade value.

To me, trades are about 2 things. 1. What do you get back in return for a traded player. 2. How large is the drop off with the guy you plug in the hole that is created. With Angle the only loss is the power. He is as good (better IMO) defensively and brings a much needed top of the order base stealer to the club.

Completely agree. I just did some research:

Using a handy xBABIP tool (expected BABIP), Angle's expected BABIP this year based on his batted ball data would be .384. That's unrealistic of course. But speedy guys like Angle can maintain BABIPs in the .330-.340 range. Give Angle a .335 BABIP instead of his .200 BABIP and using the handy Should Hit Tool (this really works. read more on it here and here), Angle would have a ~.345 wOBA, which is slightly better than Jones' .339.

If they can find the right deal for Jones, I honestly believe that starting Angle in CF with Jones gone would improve the team. Of course Angle would not provide the power Jones does, but he steals a ton of bases, gets on base, doesn't strike out much, improves the teams' defense and knows how to play the game.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #27 by Rising O's » October 1st, 2011, 10:35 am

If Jones is willing to give the Orioles two years of free agency, and we trade Markakis, I see no reason why he could not be moved to RF. When you average 95 losses a year everything has to be discussed.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #28 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 1st, 2011, 10:52 am

Rising O's wrote:If Jones is willing to give the Orioles two years of free agency, and we trade Markakis, I see no reason why he could not be moved to RF. When you average 95 losses a year everything has to be discussed.

That would work but I don't think a team will be trading for Markakis anytime soon. Maybe when there's 1-2 years left.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #29 by ofahn » October 1st, 2011, 1:45 pm

Rising O's wrote:If Jones is willing to give the Orioles two years of free agency, and we trade Markakis, I see no reason why he could not be moved to RF. When you average 95 losses a year everything has to be discussed.

I can understand your reluctance to give up Jones but he has real value in the trade market and we have many holes to fill. That's not going to get fixed by clipping coupons or avoiding hard decisions.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #30 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 1st, 2011, 2:59 pm

ofahn wrote:

I can understand your reluctance to give up Jones but he has real value in the trade market and we have many holes to fill. That's not going to get fixed by clipping coupons or avoiding hard decisions.

They should deal him for any young pitching they can get.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles