Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Projecting the Orioles' 2012 Bullpen

Projecting the Orioles' 2012 Bullpen

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 30th, 2011, 5:14 pm

On Tuesday I'll have a post up looking at the O's 2012 rotation (discuss here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=538), followed by a post on Wednesday discussing the O's 2012 bullpen.

Right now I'm thinking Jim Johnson, Kevin Gregg, Troy Patton, Alfredo Simon (assuming he doesn't make the rotation) and Pedro Strop are the only locks.

On the bubble: Jason Berken, Brad Bergesen, Zach Phillips

Who should get those last two or three spots ?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Projecting the Orioles' 2012 Bullpen

PostPost #2 by wingman12333 » September 30th, 2011, 5:21 pm

If Dan Klein comes to Spring Training healthy could he be considered for a bullpen spot?
wingman12333
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #3 by BuckMagic » September 30th, 2011, 5:29 pm

wingman12333 wrote:If Dan Klein comes to Spring Training healthy could he be considered for a bullpen spot?

They should consider it based on his performance last year. But do we know if he will even be healthy by spring t?
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #4 by ofahn » September 30th, 2011, 6:00 pm

wingman12333 wrote:If Dan Klein comes to Spring Training healthy could he be considered for a bullpen spot?

I would say no because (1) he has never pitched above AA and (2) they will want him to pitch on a more controlled basis than a ML bullpen would allow in order to evaluate his recovery. If he's lights out at AAA in June then you might see him in Baltimore.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 30th, 2011, 7:28 pm

ofahn wrote:

I would say no because (1) he has never pitched above AA and (2) they will want him to pitch on a more controlled basis than a ML bullpen would allow in order to evaluate his recovery. If he's lights out at AAA in June then you might see him in Baltimore.

ofahn nailed it. Still, he's probably less than a year away if he comes to spring training healthy.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Shorebirdfan » September 30th, 2011, 9:24 pm

I thnk we should go out and pay $8 million for an over rated under talented "closer" who can't close. Oh wait we've tried that 2 years in a row and it didn't work.

Maybe we should go in a different direction.

I'd like to see Phillips included in the mix.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 1st, 2011, 12:28 am

Shorebirdfan wrote:I thnk we should go out and pay $8 million for an over rated under talented "closer" who can't close. Oh wait we've tried that 2 years in a row and it didn't work.

Maybe we should go in a different direction.

I'd like to see Phillips included in the mix.

Phillips can really only get lefties out but since Patton is more of a long man, Phillips makes perfect sense as the LOOGY, if Buck chooses to carry one.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by j.q. higgins » October 1st, 2011, 8:14 am

cole mccurry and pelzer should get looks. how about bascom, zagone and gleason?

does anyone see a chance that patton gets a shot to start?
j.q. higgins
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #9 by ofahn » October 1st, 2011, 9:01 am

j.q. higgins wrote:cole mccurry and pelzer should get looks. how about bascom, zagone and gleason?

Pelzer needs to find home plate before he starts looking for an apartment in Baltimore. The rest will probably be given a chance but McCurry probably has the best chance.

Patton is like Johnson. He's found his spot and should be darn glad he has it.
Last edited by ofahn on October 1st, 2011, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 1st, 2011, 10:54 am

j.q. higgins wrote:cole mccurry and pelzer should get looks. how about bascom, zagone and gleason?

Patton struggles to keep is velocity in the later innings so he's probably in the bullpen for good.

Pelzer still needs some work but McCurry is definitely an option. The other three are probably AAAA guys.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by BuckMagic » October 1st, 2011, 10:49 pm

ofahn wrote:Patton is like Johnson. He's found his spot and should be darn glad he has it.

It took them long enough to give him a chance!
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #12 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 2nd, 2011, 8:27 pm

BuckMagic wrote:
ofahn wrote:Patton is like Johnson. He's found his spot and should be darn glad he has it.

It took them long enough to give him a chance!

And he's earned that spot for good. He was very impressive.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by LA Detective » October 5th, 2011, 9:47 pm

Johnson,Rapada,Strop,Simon,Gregg,Patton, and a spot going to the winner of the rest..I keep Rapada with 2 years in a row of great numbers against leftys...If the Starters imporve and pitch a decent amount of innings we can afford it. I think Gregg would be more effective in the middle where he could pitch more. He always seemed to get bombed when he didnt pitch enough. I always thought Johnsonon could close. The other times he was given a chance he was already worn out for the year and wasnt pitching well at the time he was given the chance. If you cant trade Tilman, he should be in the Pen...He may flourish.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #14 by Matt P » October 6th, 2011, 7:14 pm

Berken had a great 2010 and an inconsistent 2011. There were times when he looked great and times when he looked awful. In his 40 appearances last year he didn't allow a run in 28 of them. Out of the 12 that he did allow a run in he allowed multiple runs in 6 of them. He ended the season giving up 2 runs in his final appearance but held opponents scoreless in 8 consecutive appearances before that. That streak started after allowing 7 runs in 2.2 innings against the Yankees and before that game he had 6 consecutive scoreless appearances. I still believe in Berken as a solid reliever and if he can show some consistency in Spring Training I would start the season off with him in the bullpen.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #15 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 6th, 2011, 11:14 pm

Matt P wrote:Berken had a great 2010 and an inconsistent 2011. There were times when he looked great and times when he looked awful. In his 40 appearances last year he didn't allow a run in 28 of them. Out of the 12 that he did allow a run in he allowed multiple runs in 6 of them. He ended the season giving up 2 runs in his final appearance but held opponents scoreless in 8 consecutive appearances before that. That streak started after allowing 7 runs in 2.2 innings against the Yankees and before that game he had 6 consecutive scoreless appearances. I still believe in Berken as a solid reliever and if he can show some consistency in Spring Training I would start the season off with him in the bullpen.

Agreed. Thanks for posting that stat about his 28 scoreless appearances. I'd have him in next year's bullpen as well.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles