Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Would You Trade Adam Jones For …….?

Would You Trade Adam Jones For …….?

PostPost #1 by ofahn » September 28th, 2011, 10:37 pm

Since the cream of the Orioles’ prospects were at Frederick this year it appears that we fans should be looking at 2014 as a realistic playoff target. That means that 2012 and 2013 should be viewed as “rebuilding” years; however, that doesn’t mean the team has to extend the 14 year streak of losing seasons.

I would like to see the team focus on pitching and defense while we wait for the Cavalry (The Sequel) to arrive. This team is thin on ML quality starting pitching and there isn’t any help coming from the upper minors. That leaves a trade or a “free” agent signing. The better pitchers won’t sign here unless we throw money at them and that doesn’t make sense for a rebuilding ball club. That leaves the trade market.

Of the four Orioles that teams would give real quality for (Wieters, Hardy, Britton, and Jones) only Adam Jones is expendable. So, who would I trade him for?

My first choice would be Madison Bumgarner from the Giants. This is a win – win trade. The Orioles need young proven starting pitching and the Giants need proven controllable offense. Jones would give the Giants a premium bat and glove at a premium position. They were willing to give up Zach Wheeler for two months of Carlos Beltran, so Bumgarner for Jones makes sense.

Jones would be a big loss but Bumgarner would give us a pitcher that should be on the 2014 roster and we would have two years to replace Jones.

Who would you trade Adam Jones for?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Would You Trade Adam Jones For …….?

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 28th, 2011, 11:58 pm

I would immediately pull the trigger however I doubt the Giants would. Bumgarner was one of the best starters in the majors this season and it would be foolish for the Giants to hand over Bumgarner for Jones.

However, I do agree that Jones should be dealt, that just is not an ideal trade. I would also first see what Xavier Avery does in 2012 before dealing Jones.

The Nats are a potential trade partner.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by Rising O's » September 29th, 2011, 12:06 am

Even though I'm looking at 2014 as the year the Orioles start their return to prominence I don't agree they are short on pitching. I'm still buying on the Orioles young staff of Arrieta, Britton, and Matusz. All three have shown the potential be be top 3 in the rotation starters. I believe that by 2014 they will be the leaders of this organization. Not that they couldn't use a TOR pitcher before then.

I am not interested in trading Adam Jones unless he is unwilling to extend his contract. 2 years of free agency should be acceptable for a little more financial security. But maybe he wants to return to the West? My goal would be to have him signed until end of 2015 and hope he is an offensive leader along with Matt Wieters on a team ready to win divisions.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #4 by Shorebirdfan » September 29th, 2011, 12:13 am

Jordan wrote:The Nats are a potential trade partner.

If I was going to trade with the Nats I would work for the 2014 target. I'd ask for AJ Cole as the center piece of a deal and also want either Sammy Solis or Robbie Ray.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #5 by ofahn » September 29th, 2011, 12:13 am

Jordan wrote:I would immediately pull the trigger however I doubt the Giants would. Bumgarner was one of the best starters in the majors this season and it would be foolish for the Giants to hand over Bumgarner for Jones.

There's no question that the Giants would be paying a big price for Jones BUT where else are they going to find a CF of Jones' caliber in baseball? We have what the Giants' need. The ONE thing the Giants can afford is pitching and they really need to add bats that don't come with really stupid contracts (see Huff, Rowand, Renteria).

It would benefit both teams to expand the deal to include Matusz for OF Gary Brown.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by ofahn » September 29th, 2011, 12:23 am

Are you thinking Jordan Zimmerman?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 29th, 2011, 10:58 am

Shorebirdfan wrote:

If I was going to trade with the Nats I would work for the 2014 target. I'd ask for AJ Cole as the center piece of a deal and also want either Sammy Solis or Robbie Ray.

That's the kind of package I was thinking about.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 29th, 2011, 10:59 am

ofahn wrote:
Jordan wrote:I would immediately pull the trigger however I doubt the Giants would. Bumgarner was one of the best starters in the majors this season and it would be foolish for the Giants to hand over Bumgarner for Jones.

There's no question that the Giants would be paying a big price for Jones BUT where else are they going to find a CF of Jones' caliber in baseball? We have what the Giants' need. The ONE thing the Giants can afford is pitching and they really need to add bats that don't come with really stupid contracts (see Huff, Rowand, Renteria).

It would benefit both teams to expand the deal to include Matusz for OF Gary Brown.

They do need bats, yes. But I justhave a hard time seeing them deal Bumgarner, a guy who should compete for the Cy Young every year, for a guy like Jones.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by ofahn » September 29th, 2011, 11:05 am

I was shocked that they gave up Zach Wheeler for Beltran.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by thereareothers » September 29th, 2011, 12:24 pm

Trading him to the Giants for Bumgarner would be a very good deal for both organizations.

The Orioles should also speak with the Pirates about Jameson Taillon---he is a very high ceiling pitcher who they covet, but might be induced to consider trading him for Jones, since they have big shortages in hitting and Center Field at the major league ready level.
thereareothers
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #11 by Zach » September 29th, 2011, 1:35 pm

Im not sure that we should be so quick to trade Adam Jones. Xavier Avery showed just how much of a raw prospect he is this year and should not be taken as a sure thing. Jones showed last night the difference he can make in the field and should be a very good player for years to come. We don't really have anything below him that shows promising for the next couple of years. That being said I would jump on a trade for Bumgarner. The kid is a winner and a proven commidity. I would caution against trading for a prospect (i.e. Taillon) as we need to start focusing on the team we have now for once.

Another factor to consider is team chemistry. These players are finally looking comfortable with one another and playing more cohesively. If the Rays have taught us anything this year it is the influence that the clubhouse atmosphere can have. Jones brings a work ethic and some leadership to the club house which would have to be replaced if traded. This is something that shouldn't be overlooked, especially if 2014 is the goal year for the orioles and that is based on a lot of young players.
Zach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #12 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 29th, 2011, 11:14 pm

ofahn wrote:I was shocked that they gave up Zach Wheeler for Beltran.

The difference, to me, is that the trade for Beltran was in the middle of the year and was a big move to improve their playoff hopes. It's hard to see a Bumgarner/Jones swap in the middle of the year.

When you have a young, cost controlled, stud young starter you don't deal him for a guy like Jones. And I believe Matt Cain is a free agent soon, so that should make keeping Bum even more important.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 29th, 2011, 11:18 pm

thereareothers wrote:Trading him to the Giants for Bumgarner would be a very good deal for both organizations.

The Orioles should also speak with the Pirates about Jameson Taillon---he is a very high ceiling pitcher who they covet, but might be induced to consider trading him for Jones, since they have big shortages in hitting and Center Field at the major league ready level.

The Pirates seem like a solid trade partner considering they have a surplus of young starters. They could probably slide Jones to RF since they have McCutchen in CF and Tabata in LF.

However, I'd imagine Taillon would be a bit too much to give for Jones.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 29th, 2011, 11:19 pm

Zach wrote:Im not sure that we should be so quick to trade Adam Jones. Xavier Avery showed just how much of a raw prospect he is this year and should not be taken as a sure thing. Jones showed last night the difference he can make in the field and should be a very good player for years to come. We don't really have anything below him that shows promising for the next couple of years. That being said I would jump on a trade for Bumgarner. The kid is a winner and a proven commidity. I would caution against trading for a prospect (i.e. Taillon) as we need to start focusing on the team we have now for once.

Another factor to consider is team chemistry. These players are finally looking comfortable with one another and playing more cohesively. If the Rays have taught us anything this year it is the influence that the clubhouse atmosphere can have. Jones brings a work ethic and some leadership to the club house which would have to be replaced if traded. This is something that shouldn't be overlooked, especially if 2014 is the goal year for the orioles and that is based on a lot of young players.

Solid point. That's why I'd at least wait to see what Avery does next year. Jones is definitely becoming one of the leaders on this team but I feel as if Wieters is becoming the true leader.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by Don » September 29th, 2011, 11:43 pm

The team is not winning next season and may not be in a two year window to truly compete. Adam Jones is on the verge of getting an 8 figure contract and he will have to transition to another position sooner than later. The writing on the wall is to trade any asset that is not locked down for over three seasons and the contract does not hamper the club.

You simply do not sugar coat that the plan needs a giant face lift. I mean you do not implode the roster, but you trade one or two of the pieces that are not in the long term plans. It certainly mean Nick should be shopped, but will not fetch his worth and the brass will not allow it. Adam should be shopped for a solid return, but I would like to see what the market bears and who needs him that does not win the BJ Upton sweepstakes. You shop Guithrie and I am one of the few that still feels he has ace quality stuff at times. You have to write off the chance that Brian Roberts goes back to the guy he was 2-3 years ago.

As I said, a complete overhaul is needed to see any sort of long term growth. They thought it was close, but this group is at best a 75-80 win team.

Whoever is GM has to sit and make this a long term result. Spend on the draft, spend money on Dominican bonus babies, find a way to maximize the core players and reduce that number if it brings in talented players that can grow with Manny, Dylan, Jonathan, Bobby, Parker, etc...

Adam Jones should absolutely be in any trade discussion. If he ends of doing a fair market value contract, great and move him to LF as this is his long term future IMO. If the long term contract is not in the plans, trade him with his highest value for pieces to build for opening day 2014 (the year this team logically will be at a stage to compete)
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles