Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Matt Angle at second base?

Matt Angle at second base?

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 28th, 2011, 9:46 pm

http://twitter.com/#!/danconnollysun/st ... 7023280129

Matt angle will go to instructional league to work at second base w mike bordick and bobby dickerson. Os want to see how he looks at 2nd

I think it could work but I'm not sure how productive it will be considering most of his value is tied to his defense.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Matt Angle at second base?

PostPost #2 by Shorebirdfan » September 29th, 2011, 12:02 am

Jordan,

I agree with you, this makes no sense. Converting Angle to 2B makes him what, Ryan Adams with less pop? Moves like this are what makes me question the player development folks in the organization.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #3 by ofahn » September 29th, 2011, 12:15 am

Shorebirdfan wrote:Converting Angle to 2B makes him what, Ryan Adams with less pop?

I think the idea might be to increase his utility value. If he makes this team next year it will be as an OF that MAYBE can play a little 2B, if necessary.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 29th, 2011, 10:57 am

ofahn wrote:
Shorebirdfan wrote:Converting Angle to 2B makes him what, Ryan Adams with less pop?

I think the idea might be to increase his utility value. If he makes this team next year it will be as an OF that MAYBE can play a little 2B, if necessary.

That's probably the idea.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Tucker Blair » October 3rd, 2011, 9:31 am

I am not sure what the Orioles are really thinking here. However, This reminds me of what the Cardinals did with Skip Schumaker. But the problem is Schumaker actually has a decent bat and has proven to be able to get on base. Angle has not really proven this yet, and his OBP numbers have been on steady decline with each level he jumps up in the system. Putting him at second base just simply makes little sense. As stated above, Defense is his best attribute. Who knows, maybe this is just an insurance move for Roberts, Adams and Andino. It also could be a sign that they are not liking Adams at 2nd base.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 3rd, 2011, 7:34 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I am not sure what the Orioles are really thinking here. However, This reminds me of what the Cardinals did with Skip Schumaker. But the problem is Schumaker actually has a decent bat and has proven to be able to get on base. Angle has not really proven this yet, and his OBP numbers have been on steady decline with each level he jumps up in the system. Putting him at second base just simply makes little sense. As stated above, Defense is his best attribute. Who knows, maybe this is just an insurance move for Roberts, Adams and Andino. It also could be a sign that they are not liking Adams at 2nd base.

Probably just to add some versatility like ofahn said. Low risk, some reward. It's worth a shot.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by LA Detective » October 5th, 2011, 9:37 pm

He should be in a strengthening program instead to give him a little more pop and prepare him to compete for the starting spot.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #8 by OriolesRedskins28 » October 5th, 2011, 11:11 pm

He is what he is, a 4th OF at best. Increasing his utility by working him at 2B is a good idea.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #9 by Matt P » October 6th, 2011, 9:49 am

It just seems pointless to me. His bat is nowhere near good enough to play at any position in the majors. If anything they should have sent him with Matusz to train with Brady Anderson to try and get stronger.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 6th, 2011, 11:45 am

Matt P wrote:It just seems pointless to me. His bat is nowhere near good enough to play at any position in the majors. If anything they should have sent him with Matusz to train with Brady Anderson to try and get stronger.

He's probably about maxed out physically. This move is simply to add versatility.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Matt P » October 6th, 2011, 1:15 pm

Jordan wrote:
Matt P wrote:It just seems pointless to me. His bat is nowhere near good enough to play at any position in the majors. If anything they should have sent him with Matusz to train with Brady Anderson to try and get stronger.

He's probably about maxed out physically. This move is simply to add versatility.

He can still gain a good amount of strength over a full off season.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #12 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 6th, 2011, 10:52 pm

Matt P wrote:
Jordan wrote:

He can still gain a good amount of strength over a full off season.

But probably not enough to translate to any kind of increased power.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Rising O's » October 7th, 2011, 6:07 am

Hey I'm happy he's willing to try anything to make this ball club. Go Matt!

Outfielder Matt Angle will go to instructional league in Sarasota and work with infield coordinator Bobby Dickerson and Minor League coordinator Brian Graham on playing second base. Angle said he played the position some before, when he was much younger, but he’s game for anything that makes him more enticing to the organization next spring. ---Britt's Bird Watch
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #14 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 10th, 2011, 12:03 am

Rising O's wrote:Hey I'm happy he's willing to try anything to make this ball club. Go Matt!

Outfielder Matt Angle will go to instructional league in Sarasota and work with infield coordinator Bobby Dickerson and Minor League coordinator Brian Graham on playing second base. Angle said he played the position some before, when he was much younger, but he’s game for anything that makes him more enticing to the organization next spring. ---Britt's Bird Watch

Angle is one of the hardest working players in the system. All the players need his attitude.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by ofahn » October 10th, 2011, 10:50 am

Jordan wrote:Angle is one of the hardest working players in the system. All the players need his attitude.

That's one of the reasons I would like to see him have a legitimate shot at an open CF spot in the spring. Let the other players in our farm system see that hard can pay off.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Return to Baltimore Orioles