Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Billy Rowell comments on his career...

Billy Rowell comments on his career...

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 22nd, 2011, 11:11 am

Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Billy Rowell comments on his career...

PostPost #2 by ofahn » September 22nd, 2011, 1:27 pm

And we passed up Tim Lincecum for this guy?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by OriolesRedskins28 » September 23rd, 2011, 12:10 am

Wow not only has he been a terrible all around baseball player, but he's a low character guy too. What a horrendous draft pick that was.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by j.q. higgins » September 25th, 2011, 7:56 am

what a blockhead.
j.q. higgins
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 26th, 2011, 9:05 pm

His comments are shocking. We knew his attitude has been a problem, but I did not realize just how bad it was. Amazing how he blames Baker for struggling at AA, when he's doing just as bad.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by ofahn » September 26th, 2011, 9:28 pm

It's time to cut ties. Our 1B and 3B prospects may not make the top 100 prospect list (depending on which position they list Schoop at) but we have better than this guy in the system.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 28th, 2011, 9:54 pm

ofahn wrote:It's time to cut ties. Our 1B and 3B prospects may not make the top 100 prospect list (depending on which position they list Schoop at) but we have better than this guy in the system.

Agreed.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Shorebirdfan » September 29th, 2011, 8:19 pm

Agreed. I don't blame the O's for taking him. He was regarded as a top tier pick. It simply didn't work and Rowell will never get past AA.

Cut the loss and lets move on.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #9 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 29th, 2011, 11:07 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:Agreed. I don't blame the O's for taking him. He was regarded as a top tier pick. It simply didn't work and Rowell will never get past AA.

Cut the loss and lets move on.

I'm really curious to hear some thoughts on Rowell's comments form within the org. I'm going to ask around.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Don » October 1st, 2011, 3:42 pm

This issue is not on Billy's shoulders 100%. If I were anywhere near involved, I would have tried my best to keep this stuff under the rug. The kid has issues, but the Orioles need to open the lines of communication better with a lot of guys in the MiLB. Billy would not be the first to tell me that the Orioles play head games with these guys. Some are told flat out wrong things, put words in other's mouths, etc.... over the years that I take what he said with partial truth...

Still, he has his demons that he must quell. He needed to listen better and guys had to actually work with him without ever writing him off.

He was a masher in high school and the top power bat in his class. I watched the kid hit a 500 ft homerun off a kid who ended up pitching division 1 baseball (so it was a legit kid). He has issues compacting his approach in game and maintain pitch recognition in game action. Sometimes players just do not get it and it happens a great deal in this sport. Maybe someone else gets through to him and he is correct that the ball just sounds different in the cage, even to this day.

Honestly the biggest thing holding this kid back is the mound of wax 6 inches between his ears.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #11 by BuckMagic » October 1st, 2011, 10:46 pm

Don wrote:This issue is not on Billy's shoulders 100%. If I were anywhere near involved, I would have tried my best to keep this stuff under the rug. The kid has issues, but the Orioles need to open the lines of communication better with a lot of guys in the MiLB. Billy would not be the first to tell me that the Orioles play head games with these guys. Some are told flat out wrong things, put words in other's mouths, etc.... over the years that I take what he said with partial truth...

Still, he has his demons that he must quell. He needed to listen better and guys had to actually work with him without ever writing him off.

He was a masher in high school and the top power bat in his class. I watched the kid hit a 500 ft homerun off a kid who ended up pitching division 1 baseball (so it was a legit kid). He has issues compacting his approach in game and maintain pitch recognition in game action. Sometimes players just do not get it and it happens a great deal in this sport. Maybe someone else gets through to him and he is correct that the ball just sounds different in the cage, even to this day.

Honestly the biggest thing holding this kid back is the mound of wax 6 inches between his ears.

So now, obviously, another team is going to pick him up, work with him, and he'll become the next Jayson Werth. ;)
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Return to Minor Leagues