Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Who are the Core Orioles to build around?

Who are the Core Orioles to build around?

PostPost #1 by Don » September 16th, 2011, 10:20 am

Buck Showalter let it slip into media a few weeks back that the current roster has 7-8 core players that he felt were in the future plans for the Orioles. Who is the core?

I am throwing the softball ones out into the mix...

1. Matt Wieters - One of the top 3 complete catchers in the game with his second half offensive output. He could be the best defensive catcher in the game. This was seen as his liability and it is now his strength. Age, production, position, potential, and service time make a strong argument that he is still one of the best young players in baseball.

2. Zach Britton – He must improve his craft to induce more swing and miss pitches and likely could by expanding his repertoire, but he keeps the ball down and induces an extremely impressive groundball rate. He is the type of pitcher that should always have success in Baltimore. His abilities and service time make his a key component in any Orioles future plans.

Who else?
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Re: Who are the Core Orioles to build around?

PostPost #2 by Rising O's » September 16th, 2011, 12:07 pm

Adam Jones- Another season of injuries mars what was easily his best offensive season. He could be moved to RF if the Orioles decide to move Nick Markakis. O's should be working hard to get his first two years of free agency under their control.

Jake Arrieta - Was showing great improvement in his 2nd year, looking like an AJ Burnett type pitcher. Why the Orioles failed to address the bone spur in the off-season is another mark on their ability to manage players well.

Brian Matusz - Horrendous year but the ability is there, just have to hope its not injury related. Or worse that he's a prima donna who does not want to work hard.

Anyone who will be 28 or younger in 3 years. You never know who might turn out to be better than expected. Of course my core will be different than Buck's core since I'm thinking 2014, he's thinking 2012.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #3 by OriolesRedskins28 » September 16th, 2011, 2:18 pm

Jim Johnson- Is arguably the team's most consistent pitcher although his role for next season is undetermined.

Robert Andino- Has proven to be a valuable utility player this year. Though he will be older by the time the Orioles are ready to contend.

I think 7-8 players is an accurate estimate at this point. There's always hope that one of the young guys takes a big step forward (Tillman, C Davis, R Adams) but they definitely haven't proven to be a reliable part of the core.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

PostPost #4 by Shorebirdfan » September 16th, 2011, 4:30 pm

Assuming that means on the current major league roster. (So not Machado). Have to admit I am surprised it is that high a number. Don hit the two most obvious ones. As much as they have struggled I agree with Matusz and Arrieta, but I disagree with Jones. I still believe he is worth more on the trade market than he is in CF for the O's. I'll also take Reimold and Adams. After that I'm lost. Johnson couldn't bring you one B prospect and Andino could be DFA'd and would end up in Norfolk.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 16th, 2011, 11:30 pm

Definitely Britton, Wieters, Matusz, Arrieta, Johnson, Hunter.

If Britton stayed healthy this year he'd be a 4 WAR pitcher. You can build around that assuming he improves upon his 2011 numbers.

It's clear Wieters is a top 5 catcher in the majors even if his offensive production never increases, but it most likely will.

We all saw what Matusz could do when at full strength and we can only hope he'll come to ST in shape next year.

Even if Arrieta, Johnson and Hunter end up reliever, that's a solid core for a bullpen. Arrieta could probably close if he gets pushed out of the rotation.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #6 by Shorebirdfan » September 16th, 2011, 11:53 pm

Good call on Hunter. Hadn't thought of him.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

PostPost #7 by DougDE » September 20th, 2011, 5:19 pm

Since he's one of the best SS's in the game and signed up for 3 more years ya gotta think that Buck was counting Hardy in there
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #8 by mthompson » September 21st, 2011, 1:20 pm

It is just sad that this is all we have to build around. We need a total organizational overhaul. Starting with angelos selling the team and filtering all the way down to the ticket takers. That is the only way we will have a consitent franchise. Also, a GM with vision that under 60 would help.
mthompson
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 2

PostPost #9 by Shorebirdfan » September 21st, 2011, 10:03 pm

I think what I see as the shame of the whole thing is that looking realistically, 2012 is already over before it starts and 2013 isn't too far behind. I really feel it is 2014 before the team gets its chance to begin to compete unless by some miracle Schoop, Machado and both Bundy's are ready to make an impact in 2013.

I'm sure most fans want to see the club attempt to make significant impact moves during this off season, but personally I'd rather see them invest the money into the draft next year and focus on a realistic time frame.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

PostPost #10 by dan72 » September 21st, 2011, 11:31 pm

Jones, Wieters, Britton, Arrieta, Jim Johnson, Hunter, Davis, and Andino.
Reynolds could be in the mix, he is still young enough. Markakis should be in the mix as he will be hard to move with his contract. He does play a nice RF and he hits .290+ every year. Matusz is on the outside looking in. I don't think Buck thinks very highly of the young lefty.
Guthrie keeps us in the game and eats up innings, unfortunately the birds are going to need 2-3 more years before the prospects arrive. By then I'm sure Guthrie will have moved on.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #11 by hsbaseballcoach » September 22nd, 2011, 8:20 am

I am a bit confused on why everyone is so high on Andino. He is a great utility guy and certainly a benefit to the ball club, but as an every day player at one position, his value is considerably less. I would not give him up for a C level prospect, but for the right deal, I would move him. Jones, Wieters, and Markakis are the only 3 that I would say should be definitively in the long term plans of the Orioles. Every other player, in my opinion, should be available for the right return.
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #12 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 26th, 2011, 9:06 pm

hsbaseballcoach wrote:I am a bit confused on why everyone is so high on Andino. He is a great utility guy and certainly a benefit to the ball club, but as an every day player at one position, his value is considerably less. I would not give him up for a C level prospect, but for the right deal, I would move him. Jones, Wieters, and Markakis are the only 3 that I would say should be definitively in the long term plans of the Orioles. Every other player, in my opinion, should be available for the right return.

Agreed; Andino is a solid bench player but not a starter. Still, if Roberts is hurt next year I'd be fine with Andino holding down 2B.

Britton is another keeper.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #13 by ofahn » September 27th, 2011, 12:00 pm

Jordan wrote:if Roberts is hurt next year I'd be fine with Andino holding down 2B

If I were Ryan Adams I would make this the most productive winter possible. Opportunity awaits him.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #14 by Don » September 27th, 2011, 1:59 pm

My two cents on Robert Andino:

Robert would have to be considered a slap hitter either at the top or bottom of any batting order. He would have to do the small things at high rates. You want a guy that is highly productive in moving runners over, making plays with his feet, etc...

I give him credit for turning into a productive fielder that is better than serviceable, but not quite in tune to gold glove that would mask other areas of his game.

He is below average situational hitter that is below in scraficies, only league average in productive outs, and under in overall advancement of runners while hitting. This is complete acceptable for a 3-4-5 type hitter that has an absurb .OPS, but poor effort for a guy that is built on slap singles and small ball game. He still has a 2.0 K/BB ratio, bascially a liability in the offensive department.

I hate being harsh, but unless he improves his situational hitting I could not use his skills to build a winning ballclub. He would simply be stopgap insurance seeing that he is turing 28 yrs old.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles