Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Matt Wieters is fading, FAST

Matt Wieters is fading, FAST

PostPost #1 by rjc3 » July 31st, 2011, 9:15 pm

Wieters was starting to heat up and has an OPS close to .750 coming into July.

On the month he is now hitting .235 with a .685 OPS. HE had me excited and some us were beginning to think he would finish with an .800+ OPS, but now it seems he's going down hill rather quickly.
rjc3
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Matt Wieters is fading, FAST

PostPost #2 by docjj » August 9th, 2011, 1:49 pm

Wieters is a nice guy. He even autographed a ball for me, while he was still in the minors.

But watching him hit is like pouring sand in my eyes. Why can't this guy hit? "Joe Mauer, with power" WTF?

I must conclude it's our "instructors" that mess up our players. I'd gut the entire system of "instructors" and try again. They seem to mess everyone up...
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #3 by A_K » August 10th, 2011, 12:03 pm

He's fine. Relax.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #4 by dan72 » August 13th, 2011, 11:35 am

I would DH him so he can focus on hitting. At this point I'm sure he's exhausted. He was swinging the bat with autjority in April and May. At one point he led the MLB in avg WRISP.
He can hit, just need some consistency.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #5 by mjummpy » August 14th, 2011, 4:37 pm

Catchers develop late. It would be easier if he could focus more on hitting than learn a new pitcher every week.
I'm not so much worried about his pitching rather than his size 6, 5 . Joe Mauer is the same size.
mjummpy
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by Rising O's » August 30th, 2011, 11:00 pm

Matt's had a hot August, here's to him having an even hotter September. He needs to figure out the switch hitting though. 2012 is break out time for Matt.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #7 by Rising O's » September 14th, 2011, 10:05 am

Matt may not be hitting for average or walking much in follow up of a strong August, but when he gets hold of one they are leaving the ball park. 4 home runs in September in 11 games following 5 in August.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by Rising O's » September 14th, 2011, 9:12 pm

Matt with another dinger. Bust? He says :lol:
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #9 by hsbaseballcoach » September 15th, 2011, 7:24 am

I STRONGLY disagree with Wieters bashing. He has been a defensive gem and his offense continues to improve. He went from college where every pitch was called from the dugout, to handling a MLB staff with limited experience in 2 years. Anyone who knows baseball even a little bit should know that a catcher needs to be a defensive player first and an offensive player second. Look at Piazza - an offensive stud and a defensive liability. For as many contributions as he made with the bat - how many runners did he let get into scoring position because he could not block or throw. If Piazza would have had the offensive career he had in Baltimore with the current staff - this discussion would be about how defense should be the priority. Wieters should be PRAISED and will only continue to get better.
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 16th, 2011, 11:24 pm

hsbaseballcoach wrote:I STRONGLY disagree with Wieters bashing. He has been a defensive gem and his offense continues to improve. He went from college where every pitch was called from the dugout, to handling a MLB staff with limited experience in 2 years. Anyone who knows baseball even a little bit should know that a catcher needs to be a defensive player first and an offensive player second. Look at Piazza - an offensive stud and a defensive liability. For as many contributions as he made with the bat - how many runners did he let get into scoring position because he could not block or throw. If Piazza would have had the offensive career he had in Baltimore with the current staff - this discussion would be about how defense should be the priority. Wieters should be PRAISED and will only continue to get better.

Yup. And he's finally starting to develop at the plate. He's come along well hitting right handed but still has some work to do from the left side.

Fangraphs addressed Wieters today: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... t-wieters/
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Return to Baltimore Orioles