Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

ON Community Prospect List Discussion

Community Prospect #4 Voting

PostPost #16 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 11th, 2011, 12:27 am

Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: ON Community Prospect List Discussion

PostPost #17 by Rising O's » September 11th, 2011, 1:57 am

Tough choice at #4. Only quick cross off was Delmonico given his senior year. Townsend was next, nice numbers, but too old for A+, another slow promotion scheduling issue. Move people up dang it! Bridwell, not enough accomplished. Avery, might be next year that he puts it all together. Hoes lack of position, thanks Stockstill, and uneven power made him the last cut. So Bobby it is, 21 at AA, may have run out of gas after his strong finish in A+.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #18 by Shorebirdfan » September 11th, 2011, 7:03 am

Rising O's wrote:Tough choice at #4. Only quick cross off was Delmonico given his senior year. Townsend was next, nice numbers, but too old for A+, another slow promotion scheduling issue. Move people up dang it! Bridwell, not enough accomplished. Avery, might be next year that he puts it all together. Hoes lack of position, thanks Stockstill, and uneven power made him the last cut. So Bobby it is, 21 at AA, may have run out of gas after his strong finish in A+.

It's funny to me how different people can look at the same thing and see something so different. I watch the organizations minor league system and often find myself screeaming to STOP moving people up dang it! I believe the count this past season of players moved up from Delmarva to Frederick was 17. In the meantime a player like Jurikcson Profar spent the entire season at Low A, As did Taillion. The Phillies organization is one I see year in and year out that seems to almost always allow players to spend an entire season at a single level before moving them, and they have reloaded time and time again using prospects to make some of the biggest trades for valuable front line players year after year.

Personally, I've been voting based on a players overall potential, not where they are now, or what they've accomplished so far. Different math, same result. I think Bobby took a major step forward this year. Of course that said in one day he went from being the 3rd best prospect in an organization to the second best in his home. I hope that is not something that has an impact on the mental side of his game. Pro athletes have ego's (I think that is a big part of what drives them) that have to be fed. I fear that becoming a shadow of his brother's "hype" could negatively affect his game.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #19 by Don » September 11th, 2011, 9:07 am

I had ranked Robert in the top 15 at one point during the 2008 draft class, I thought he was that good. I begged my organization to take a flyer on him in the early middle rounds. The knee injury caused him to slide and the Orioles were re-warded and paid supplement first round money to bring him into the organization.

I said at that time that he was the best player drafted, even over Matusz because the talent level would be similar down the road and at a fraction of the overall cost to the organization, very good value at that stage.

Just a lunch pale, workhorse type player that puts in the work to improve his craft. Sometimes more of these types are needed to re-shape an organization minor league system.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #20 by ofahn » September 11th, 2011, 10:03 am

Don wrote:Just a lunch pale, workhorse type player that puts in the work to improve his craft. Sometimes more of these types are needed to re-shape an organization minor league system.

From your lips to Peter Angelos' ears. Just imagine what an extra 5 to 7M would have done in this year's draft.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #21 by Rising O's » September 11th, 2011, 10:14 am

College players yes, move them up quicker. Townsend and Mahoney both showed they are ready for promotions from A+ and AA respectively. The injury problems for each of them have not been something that would impact their hitting or defense. But what I'm afraid of is regression because they start to press to make the impression they think might be necessary to get that promotion.

Lunch pail is good, hard work ethic is great, topped off with talent is even better, but we also need more vocal personalities who can will other players to do the same.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 11th, 2011, 11:14 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:It's funny to me how different people can look at the same thing and see something so different. I watch the organizations minor league system and often find myself screeaming to STOP moving people up dang it! I believe the count this past season of players moved up from Delmarva to Frederick was 17. In the meantime a player like Jurikcson Profar spent the entire season at Low A, As did Taillion. The Phillies organization is one I see year in and year out that seems to almost always allow players to spend an entire season at a single level before moving them, and they have reloaded time and time again using prospects to make some of the biggest trades for valuable front line players year after year.

I still don't understand why the Orioles push prospects so much. I would have let Schoop and Machado stay at DElmarva the entire season. Especially when Machado was just coming back from the injury, why promote him?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Community Prospect #5 Voting

PostPost #23 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 11th, 2011, 11:15 pm

With 59% of the votes, Bobby Bundy is elected community prospect #4!

Candidates for #5:
- Xavier Avery
- Parker Bridwell
- Nick Delmonico
- Jason Esposito
- L.J. Hoes
- Tyler Townsend

Vote >>
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #24 by Rising O's » September 12th, 2011, 9:29 am

Ended up with Avery over Hoes because of clearly defined role.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #25 by rjc3 » September 12th, 2011, 9:20 pm

Rising O's wrote:Ended up with Avery over Hoes because of clearly defined role.

Also hard to deny Avery's upside.
rjc3
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Community Prospect #6 Voting

PostPost #26 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 12th, 2011, 10:46 pm

With 57% of the votes, L.J. Hoes is elected community prospect #5!

Candidates for #6:
- Xavier Avery
- Parker Bridwell
- Nick Delmonico
- Jason Esposito
- Dan Klein
- Trent Mummey
- Clayton Schrader
- Tyler Townsend

Vote >>
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #27 by Shorebirdfan » September 12th, 2011, 11:17 pm

So our 5th best prospect doesn't hit for avg, doesn't hit for power, isn't an exceptional defender, doesn't pitch, and oh doesn't have a position.

I think we are in trouble.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

PostPost #28 by Shorebirdfan » September 13th, 2011, 10:05 pm

Glad to see fans are high on Bridwell. Thought it was a little early for him here, but I think one thing is clear and that is that we are done seeing overwhelming vote totals for any one person.

Like Bywater, Parker needs work on the control issues he saw this season. Still lots of upside. Like to see him fill out the frame a little more.

For me, I'll take Klein next. I feel like he has better command of more pitches at this point where other pitchers at this level we can only hope develop what he already has.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

PostPost #29 by OriolesRedskins28 » September 14th, 2011, 11:55 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:So our 5th best prospect doesn't hit for avg, doesn't hit for power, isn't an exceptional defender, doesn't pitch, and oh doesn't have a position.

I think we are in trouble.

Hoes does hit for avg with plenty of walks along the way. He is roughly the same age as Avery but has clearly outperformed him at AA and has the potential to play second base. If he can become a decent second baseman which is certainly within the realm of possibility, he would be quite valuable. Who knows maybe he starts hitting for more power as he gets older/stronger. Remember that his bought with mono was said to have sapped his strength and maybe it's taking him a while to get it back (which would explain the late season power increase).
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #30 by Shorebirdfan » September 15th, 2011, 9:58 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:Hoes does hit for avg with plenty of walks along the way. He is roughly the same age as Avery but has clearly outperformed him at AA and has the potential to play second base. If he can become a decent second baseman which is certainly within the realm of possibility, he would be quite valuable. Who knows maybe he starts hitting for more power as he gets older/stronger. Remember that his bought with mono was said to have sapped his strength and maybe it's taking him a while to get it back (which would explain the late season power increase).

Hoes hit .285 and drew 53 walks in 136 games. He has hit 19 HR in 4 years and overseeing 400 games. I'm not saying the kid won't make the bigs, I just think we should better results from our 5th best prospect. If the organization thought he could play 2nd, he would have been at 2nd in Bowie. He couldn't push Miclat out of his spot, and Miclat is barely a top 30 prospect.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

PreviousNext

Return to Minor Leagues