Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

ON Community Prospect List Discussion

ON Community Prospect List Discussion

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 7th, 2011, 9:03 pm

I received a request to add more reader interaction to the site (thanks, Shorebirdfan!). I believe the perfect way to do so would be to poll ON readers to create a community prospect list.

Each poll will include five candidates. You can suggest prospects to include and discuss the list here.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Community Prospect #1 Voting

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 7th, 2011, 9:16 pm

Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Re: ON Community Prospect List Discussion

PostPost #3 by Shorebirdfan » September 7th, 2011, 9:30 pm

Thanks for the props. Good place to start right at the top. Certainly we are lucky to have 2 of what might be the top ten (give or take) prospects in all of MILB. I think you cannot go wrong with either Machado or D Bundy as #1. Personally, I think Bundy is #1 for a couple reasons.

1. I think Bundy progresses through the organization faster and reaches the majors either with or ahead of Machado.
2. Although a five tool SS is a rare commodity, I think a front line #1 pitcher (from HS no less) may be just as rare.

As you know I had the pleasure of watching Machado for 2 months and trust me he is special for more reasons than come from a bat or a glove. I've never seen someone who at 18 (early in the season) commanded such respect from teammates and carried himself so well while being humble to the point of shyness. Yet on the field when a pitcher was struggling, it was this shy 18 YO who walked to the mound and gave the pep talk. True leadership, and that is something no coach can teach. All that said, I still believe Dylan is just a cut above that.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #4 by Rising O's » September 7th, 2011, 10:11 pm

I love reading Machado quotes. One of the latest I read was how he avoided going over to talk to A-Roid during batting practice because he was an Oriole now. While Bundy does not have the personality, at least by his own admission and what I saw in his post draft interview, he has the work ethic our younger pitchers will hopefully emulate. Between the two of them I pray they can remake this organization. I know Hobgood gets a bad rap but his character was also a plus for Jordan so hopefully with a return to health and continued conditioning improvements he too can be a leader for us. I'm assuming Bobby is similar to his brother.

I don't know much about Avery or Schoop in this regard. The only thing I know about Hoes was his early professional career was impacted by his caring for his ill parents, that certainly has to be a plus.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #5 by ofahn » September 8th, 2011, 8:56 am

Shorebirdfan wrote:I think Bundy progresses through the organization faster and reaches the majors either with or ahead of Machado.

Considering Dylan Bundy's talent and makeup I can understand why you might think he will move quickly but I don't see him as a factor at the ML level until at least 2014.

Even the best talent stalls somewhere in their development and has to learn to make adjustments. Machado tore up the Sally League this year but was a mere mortal in making just a half step jump to Frederick. I see this as his adjustment period but I think a lot of fans were convinced back in May that he would spend August in Bowie.

Bobby Bundy was lights out in Frederick but had dramatically different results in Bowie. I think he might have been tired (a COMPLETELY different issue that is a system wide problem) but it might have been that this was his adjustment period, or it might have been a bit of both.

The player that impressed me the most this year was Schoop. He had the same adjustment problems at Frederick as Machado but his August numbers were well above league average. I wouldn't be surprised to see him start the 2012 season at Bowie, and dominant play at that level can mean an audition in the majors.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 8th, 2011, 3:10 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:As you know I had the pleasure of watching Machado for 2 months and trust me he is special for more reasons than come from a bat or a glove. I've never seen someone who at 18 (early in the season) commanded such respect from teammates and carried himself so well while being humble to the point of shyness. Yet on the field when a pitcher was struggling, it was this shy 18 YO who walked to the mound and gave the pep talk. True leadership, and that is something no coach can teach. All that said, I still believe Dylan is just a cut above that.

Rising O's wrote:I love reading Machado quotes. One of the latest I read was how he avoided going over to talk to A-Roid during batting practice because he was an Oriole now. While Bundy does not have the personality, at least by his own admission and what I saw in his post draft interview, he has the work ethic our younger pitchers will hopefully emulate. Between the two of them I pray they can remake this organization. I know Hobgood gets a bad rap but his character was also a plus for Jordan so hopefully with a return to health and continued conditioning improvements he too can be a leader for us. I'm assuming Bobby is similar to his brother.

I don't know much about Avery or Schoop in this regard. The only thing I know about Hoes was his early professional career was impacted by his caring for his ill parents, that certainly has to be a plus.

I agree with both of you, and Schoop also has one of the best work ethics I have seen in the minors.

In regards to Avery, he is also another guy who pushes himself harder than most. This interview says a lot about him: http://baltimoresportsreport.com/interv ... -6435.html

And here:
He looked at me all serious and said, 'BG, you want to know why I love baseball?' I said, 'Why X?' And he said, 'It's so damn hard to be good at it"
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 8th, 2011, 3:12 pm

ofahn wrote:
Shorebirdfan wrote:I think Bundy progresses through the organization faster and reaches the majors either with or ahead of Machado.

Considering Dylan Bundy's talent and makeup I can understand why you might think he will move quickly but I don't see him as a factor at the ML level until at least 2014.

Even the best talent stalls somewhere in their development and has to learn to make adjustments. Machado tore up the Sally League this year but was a mere mortal in making just a half step jump to Frederick. I see this as his adjustment period but I think a lot of fans were convinced back in May that he would spend August in Bowie.

Bobby Bundy was lights out in Frederick but had dramatically different results in Bowie. I think he might have been tired (a COMPLETELY different issue that is a system wide problem) but it might have been that this was his adjustment period, or it might have been a bit of both.

The player that impressed me the most this year was Schoop. He had the same adjustment problems at Frederick as Machado but his August numbers were well above league average. I wouldn't be surprised to see him start the 2012 season at Bowie, and dominant play at that level can mean an audition in the majors.

Of course, Machado and Schoop were the two youngest players in the Carolina League. Their initial struggles were to be expected and didn't worry me.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by ofahn » September 8th, 2011, 4:29 pm

Jordan wrote:Of course, Machado and Schoop were the two youngest players in the Carolina League. Their initial struggles were to be expected and didn't worry me.

I not worried about them either. I just wanted to point out that it's normal to hit a "speed bump" in a player's development process and should be taken into consideration when projecting a player's MLB debut.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #9 by Rising O's » September 8th, 2011, 5:02 pm

2014 is my year, not so much for winning, but to finally feel the Orioles are back.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

Community Prospect #2 Voting

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 8th, 2011, 9:03 pm

With 51% of the votes, Manny Machado is elected community prospect #1!

Candidates for #2:
- Xavier Avery
- Bobby Bundy
- Dylan Bundy
- L.J. Hoes
- Jonathan Schoop

Vote >>
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Shorebirdfan » September 8th, 2011, 9:22 pm

So with Machado getting more than half the votes I would hope we will see a big number for Dylan at #2. This will probably be the easiest selection going down the board. I'd love to hear from anyone who voted for B Bundy or Hoes at #1 on their thought behind those players being ahead of the big 2.

I think the next big thing of interest is seeing when Nicky and Jason hit the board. Little tougher to project their value to me at this point.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #12 by rjc3 » September 8th, 2011, 10:28 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:So with Machado getting more than half the votes I would hope we will see a big number for Dylan at #2. This will probably be the easiest selection going down the board. I'd love to hear from anyone who voted for B Bundy or Hoes at #1 on their thought behind those players being ahead of the big 2.

I think the next big thing of interest is seeing when Nicky and Jason hit the board. Little tougher to project their value to me at this point.

Have to think Schoop at #3 will be a bigger blowout than Bundy at #2. Don stated in his mailbag that Machado and Schoop are almost the same level, prospect status wise, so I went with Schoop over Bundy for #2. Like the proven performance.

I am guessing there were votes for Hoes due to age/league factors.....but then again Schoop and Manny were also more extreme on that level.

I think Delmonico and Esposito should follow Avery but in the meantime which of those two is the better prospect?
rjc3
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #13 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 9th, 2011, 8:57 pm

rjc3 wrote:Have to think Schoop at #3 will be a bigger blowout than Bundy at #2. Don stated in his mailbag that Machado and Schoop are almost the same level, prospect status wise, so I went with Schoop over Bundy for #2. Like the proven performance.

I am guessing there were votes for Hoes due to age/league factors.....but then again Schoop and Manny were also more extreme on that level.

I think Delmonico and Esposito should follow Avery but in the meantime which of those two is the better prospect?

They are probably about even. Delmonico if you are looking for upside, Esposito if you want a "safer" prospect.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Community Prospect #3 Voting

PostPost #14 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 9th, 2011, 9:01 pm

With 66% of the votes, Dylan Bundy is elected community prospect #2!

Candidates for #3:
- Xavier Avery
- Parker Bridwell
- Bobby Bundy
- L.J. Hoes
- Jonathan Schoop
- Tyler Townsend

Vote >>
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by Don » September 10th, 2011, 1:03 pm

All three guys are graded an A in my book, so it is really splitting hairs between Machado, Bundy, and Schoop long term value to the team. Robert is no slouch either and reaffirms my first round grade on him in the 2008 season.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Next

Return to Minor Leagues