Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Who Should the O's Send to the Arizona Fall League?

Who Should the O's Send to the Arizona Fall League?

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 29th, 2011, 10:39 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/2011/08/30/wh ... nd-to-afl/

With the Arizona Fall League a little under two months away, it’s a good time to look at players who will make the trip to Arizona. Before we get into who the Orioles are sending, let’s look at what the AFL is, how it works, and what the rules are.

Who I'd send:
Ryan Berry
Ashur Tolliver
Steve Johnson
Wynn Pelzer
Joe Mahoney
Xavier Avery
L.J. Hoes
Brian Ward
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Who Should the O's Send to the Arizona Fall League?

PostPost #2 by Shorebirdfan » August 29th, 2011, 11:21 pm

I agree wiith Berry. Needs the work and look to continue to progress. Tolliver is a good pick but I think you could slide Henry in here also. and personally that is my pick. I'll stick with Pelzer because his IP are low. Last pitching slot I'd like to see Bascom since they slid him back into a starting role mid season.

Hitters Mahoney, Avery and Hoes make perfect sense, but I'll take Hudson over Ward. That said seems like we send a C every year, so most likely you will be correct here.

Wish we could send more than 2 from A ball. Would like to see Kipp against this level of competition and both Henry and Tolliver.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #3 by Don » August 30th, 2011, 8:47 am

While Brian Ward might be the guy that calls the best game, I am a bit puzzled that they are pushing him in the AFL roster. He is going to be 26 in A ball and that window is closing.

It is possible that he wants to be pushed and maybe the bat still has a bit of projection. Watching him at the plate, he should have better results. He could still be adjusting to better off-speed pitching. Still seems to streaky. These results are typical of say 18-19-20, but not at his age it is more than alarming. It is quite possible that top shelf competition was keeping him behind the 8 ball and he is going to take longer to reach his best baseball days.

I am encouraged by his late season splits that he could at least play a backup catcher. His defense and game calling is his strong point and might be splitting hairs between Caleb Joesph and Brian Ward. As long as he can maintain a serviceable sitck, he is in line to fill a backup role next season. I guess the AFL move puts him on the platform to make that jump in spring training.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 30th, 2011, 4:57 pm

http://twitter.com/#!/masnRoch/status/1 ... 9900805122
5 #orioles on Mesa AFL roster: 1B Joe Mahoney, OF Xavier Avery, C Brian Ward and Ps Sean Gleason and Chorye Spoone.

Hit on Avery, Mahoney, and Ward. We'll see what happens with Hoes, as I think he'll ultimately end up going.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 30th, 2011, 5:03 pm

Hoes is also going according to Roch.

OF/IF LJ Hoes also part of Mesa roster. #orioles
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Minor Leagues