Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Matt Angle should be starting in LF now

Re: Matt Angle should be starting in LF now

PostPost #16 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 22nd, 2011, 11:52 pm

Rising O's wrote:So still no Angle even after that disastrous finale vs the Angels. Are they afraid someone is going to claim Pie if he's DFA'd? Is Reimold going to learn how to field? We've had looks over the past 3 years, he is no better now than he was then. The topper will be bringing back Luke Scott in 2012.

I just don't get it either. He's on the 40-man too. It shouldn't be that hard to give him a look. Pie has been up for 3 years and has only gotten worse. Time to move on.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #17 by Rising O's » August 23rd, 2011, 10:19 am

I was wrong, the topper is bringing back Jake Fox while having to remove someone from the 40 man. This organization's decisions really are, to put it mildly, puzzling.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #18 by rjc3 » August 23rd, 2011, 1:24 pm

Rising O's wrote:I was wrong, the topper is bringing back Jake Fox while having to remove someone from the 40 man. This organization's decisions really are, to put it mildly, puzzling.

I simply do not understand Buck's obsession with veterans.
rjc3
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #19 by ofahn » August 23rd, 2011, 1:29 pm

I simply do not understand Buck's obsession with mediocre veterans.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #20 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 23rd, 2011, 3:54 pm

We all get our wish.

https://twitter.com/danconnollysun/stat ... 8695575552

Matt angle has been called up. Felix pie has been dfa'd.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #21 by Rising O's » August 23rd, 2011, 4:04 pm

Hallelujah!
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #22 by OriolesRedskins28 » August 23rd, 2011, 4:20 pm

Good to see Pie gone and Angle up. To me long term Angle would make a perfect fourth outfielder, a guy who plays great defense at all three spots and you can start against righties fairly regularly especially when giving LF/Jones/Markakis a day off. Also would be a great late game defensive replacement/pinch runner, basically the player Pie was supposed to be this year. Let's see what he can do!
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #23 by Shorebirdfan » August 23rd, 2011, 10:40 pm

I guess the shame is that this move took so long. Why does it always seem that the fans are 6 weeks ahead of the organization in announcing moves?
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #24 by Rising O's » September 20th, 2011, 9:19 pm

I like what Matt is doing so far. Sure the average isn't where you would like but he's doing enough that you can hope he develops into a 270 hitter for next year. What I really like are the walks 9 to 8 k ratio. And 9 of 10 on stolen bases. He may have more walks and stolen bases and Pie had here for almost 3 years.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #25 by Shorebirdfan » September 21st, 2011, 9:30 pm

Rising O's wrote:I like what Matt is doing so far. Sure the average isn't where you would like but he's doing enough that you can hope he develops into a 270 hitter for next year. What I really like are the walks 9 to 8 k ratio. And 9 of 10 on stolen bases. He may have more walks and stolen bases and Pie had here for almost 3 years.

And to think Brett Gardner leads the league with 45 SB. Imagine what Angles number would be if he played as a regular for a full season, even more if he was getting on base. With his limited AB what would he have needed to this point to be hitting .250, another 10 hits?

I couldn't agree more. He has been all we chould have expected.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #26 by Rising O's » September 24th, 2011, 6:39 pm

Just saw him hit hist first ML homerun, replay actually on mlb.com. Turned on a middle in fastball and hit it well enough to be a HR anywhere. Keep it up. He walked in his 2nd AB. I'm getting hopeful about his prospects of being more than a 4th OFer for us. Go Matt!
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #27 by ofahn » September 24th, 2011, 9:12 pm

If I were Matt Angle I would spend the winter surgically attached to the hip of a nutritionist and personal trainer. If he puts on about 10 to 15 lbs of muscle and bumps his OPS to about .800 IMO he's a MLB OFer with his defense.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #28 by j.q. higgins » September 25th, 2011, 7:53 am

if angle can bump his OPS up to .800, he's instantly one of the best orioles. w/ his defense, a matt angle w/an .800 ops is probably a 5 win player. i don't see this happening, but i think he can be more than a defensive replacement-pr.
j.q. higgins
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #29 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 26th, 2011, 9:11 pm

ofahn wrote:If I were Matt Angle I would spend the winter surgically attached to the hip of a nutritionist and personal trainer. If he puts on about 10 to 15 lbs of muscle and bumps his OPS to about .800 IMO he's a MLB OFer with his defense.

Highly unlikely he can do that because he simply does not have the bat speed or the ability to hit quality fastballs.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #30 by ofahn » September 26th, 2011, 9:24 pm

Jordan wrote:Highly unlikely he can do that because he simply does not have the bat speed or the ability to hit quality fastballs.

Increasing bat speed is difficult but you can learn to cheat a bit on the fastball.

If this kid is willing to put in the work he can make himself into a ML player.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles