Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Nick Delmonico to sign soon

Nick Delmonico to sign soon

PostPost #1 by Rising O's » August 11th, 2011, 9:56 am

Crawdaddy on Sun site posted this...Aaron Fitt put out the first word

Pretty good if they get it done. Jason Coats, along with Jason Esposito (getting closer too?)and of course Dylan Bundy who I have no doubt will sign would make this a very nice draft.

Delmonico I'm guess goes to RF?
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

Re: Nick Delmonico to sign soon

PostPost #2 by Don » August 11th, 2011, 11:24 am

As I said on twitter last night, I have contacted a few different sources and hear conflicting reports. He is still in play, but no where near a point where I would say a deal is on the verge of completion. I would not run to the hills, but it is still not a lock that he is in the organization on Aug 16th.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 11th, 2011, 12:03 pm

Rising O's wrote:Crawdaddy on Sun site posted this...Aaron Fitt put out the first word

Pretty good if they get it done. Jason Coats, along with Jason Esposito (getting closer too?)and of course Dylan Bundy who I have no doubt will sign would make this a very nice draft.

Delmonico I'm guess goes to RF?

Looks like Coats is not going to sign. They are closing in on a deal with Esposito it seems.

Delmonico was drafted as a third baseman.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #4 by Rising O's » August 11th, 2011, 5:01 pm

If it were me I'd put him at 3rd and RF and see where he looks more natural, then start him there next year. O's need some power outfielders, I wish Jordan would go get some. Coats would have been a nice signing, still hoping for something last minute.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #5 by rjc3 » August 11th, 2011, 5:50 pm

Don in your Delmonico writeup you mention that he has just average bat speed. If that is the case then why is he so highly touted?
rjc3
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #6 by rjc3 » August 11th, 2011, 5:51 pm

Rising O's wrote:If it were me I'd put him at 3rd and RF and see where he looks more natural, then start him there next year. O's need some power outfielders, I wish Jordan would go get some. Coats would have been a nice signing, still hoping for something last minute.

I agree here. There are absolutely no solid corner outfield prospects.....Coats would have been a very welcome addition.
rjc3
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #7 by Don » August 11th, 2011, 8:46 pm

While it is average right now, I honestly feel that is the result of his injuries in his senior season. His competition was not all that great and it is one of the giant question marks that he must over come as a professional. I think he has a good shot at as a .300 type hitter. His swing path could lead to power potential. It will depend on his maturation, size, and increase strength to determine how much power he can tap out of his game.

He looks the part and why people still have him ranked in the 50-100 range even after an injury riddled season. I had him around 20-30 in the fall after a very good junior year and summer circuit tour. I like him and hope the Orioles can bring him into the fold.

It will cost them, but in my opinion it is worth it to add another promising bat to the system. He is either a 3B or RF in the future. If he showcases as a dual threat, his bat could allow him to be effective no matter the fielding position.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #8 by Rising O's » August 12th, 2011, 3:50 pm

Bleh, was hoping for some good news today but the news people are really quiet about it.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #9 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 12th, 2011, 8:56 pm

Rising O's wrote:Bleh, was hoping for some good news today but the news people are really quiet about it.

Here you go!

http://twitter.com/Olsen_Don/status/102146055788965889
I am hearing now that Delmonico has an offer that he cannot refuse from the Orioles. Well within 7 figures.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #10 by Rising O's » August 15th, 2011, 7:08 am

BTW anyone know why Coats was a no-go? Did he just want too much money?
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Return to MLB Draft