Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Why don't real relief prospects close?

Why don't real relief prospects close?

PostPost #1 by rjc3 » August 10th, 2011, 8:46 pm

Why don't guys like Randy Henry, Clayton Schrader, and Dan Klein close at their respective levels?

I would think the possible closer/setup guys should be getting time in those roles.
rjc3
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Why don't real relief prospects close?

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 10th, 2011, 11:12 pm

I believe it's due to the fact that guys like Klein and Henry are coming off injuries so they don't want to pencil them into the closer role. In the minors, guys have set schedules and have to get in a certain number of innings per game.

The older closers like Walters and Gleason are just org. guys so it's fine to throw them out on consecutive nights.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by ofahn » August 10th, 2011, 11:14 pm

rjc3 wrote:Why don't guys like Randy Henry, Clayton Schrader, and Dan Klein close at their respective levels?

I would think the possible closer/setup guys should be getting time in those roles.

You wonder whether it's the team trying to get them multiple innings per outing so that they face more batters and gain more experience. If that's the case, why don't they just give them two inning closes? If you look at the 1983 season (we did PRETTY well that year) our closers would pitch two or three innings quite often.

I'd like to see future bullpens consist of SIX pitchers, ALL of whom are able to go at LEAST two innings an appearance. I suppose that's just wishful thinking.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Shorebirdfan » August 11th, 2011, 6:20 am

Jordan wrote:I believe it's due to the fact that guys like Klein and Henry are coming off injuries so they don't want to pencil them into the closer role. In the minors, guys have set schedules and have to get in a certain number of innings per game.

The older closers like Walters and Gleason are just org. guys so it's fine to throw them out on consecutive nights.

Agreed. Kids who sit in the closer role down here never seem to go anywhere. I remember having a conversation with Darnell Coles a few years ago when he managed Hagerstown. He told me he couldn't stand seeing Mick Mattaliano come in because he know the game was over at that point. Kid was lights out as a closer at Low A. Two years later he was out of baseball.

Only recent closer down here that is still a prospect is Cooney.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

Return to Minor Leagues