Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

L.J. Hoes is hitting .322

L.J. Hoes is hitting .322

PostPost #1 by docjj » August 3rd, 2011, 7:55 am

How's that?


Nice to see a few HR's. I wonder where the new found power is coming from? Any chance we can try him at 2B again, or is his conversion to OF complete?
docjj
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 182
Joined: January 2011
Reputation Score: 3

Re: L.J. Hoes is hitting .322

PostPost #2 by ofahn » August 3rd, 2011, 2:12 pm

docjj wrote:How's that?


Nice to see a few HR's. I wonder where the new found power is coming from? Any chance we can try him at 2B again, or is his conversion to OF complete?


Despite the team's party line that he's a 2B I think you will see him become a full time LF.

Hoes has always been defensively challenged and I don't think he will ever become a good fielding 2B because he doesn't seem to be a natural there. Look at the better middle infielders we have had. Belanger, Bordick, Alomar, Dauer, and even Cal didn't move at their position as much as they glided. It was almost like they weren't using their feet at all. Hoes will never have that and we should accept it now.

A good LF needs speed (check), a decent and accurate arm (a work in progress), and good baseball instincts to play the position well. Combine that with an .800 OPS and you have a MLB talent.

I would like to see the team give Reimold another 600 PAs (plate appearances) to prove he belongs and, if it doesn't work out, then give Hoes a chance about this time next year. If Reimold is a nugget then we have a solid trade chip in Hoes.

It could be win-win.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: L.J. Hoes is hitting .322

PostPost #3 by A_K » August 3rd, 2011, 2:59 pm

I'd rather him have every opportunity to stay at 2B. Even if he ends up below average there defensively, his bat would give him a lot of value. He could easily be just a replacement-level player as a LF.
A_K
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 608
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 43

Re: L.J. Hoes is hitting .322

PostPost #4 by ofahn » August 3rd, 2011, 3:05 pm

A_K wrote:I'd rather him have every opportunity to stay at 2B. Even if he ends up below average there defensively, his bat would give him a lot of value. He could easily be just a replacement-level player as a LF.


I'm sorry but pitching and defense wins games.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: L.J. Hoes is hitting .322

PostPost #5 by A_K » August 3rd, 2011, 6:30 pm

I'm sorry but pitching, defense and offense wins games.
A_K
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 608
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 43

Re: L.J. Hoes is hitting .322

PostPost #6 by ofahn » August 3rd, 2011, 7:18 pm

A_K wrote:I'm sorry but pitching, defense and offense wins games.


Granted, But Hoes lacks the defense so what's your point?
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: L.J. Hoes is hitting .322

PostPost #7 by A_K » August 3rd, 2011, 7:45 pm

I really don't have a point. I've never seen Hoes play and I have no idea of knowing what position he's capable of playing. But as a general rule, I think a second baseman with a nice stick can provide enough offense, relative to others at his position, to more than makeup for his lack of defense. At left field, I think it's harder to provide enough defense to make up for a lackluster bat, once again relative to the rest of the players at the position.

Also, it's easier to transition from 2B to LF. My initial point was to give him every opportunity to prove himself at 2B. If he can't hack it, he can move back to LF and will still have plenty opportunity to see if he can stick there. If you move him to LF full-time right now, he's not moving back to 2B two or three years from now.
A_K
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 608
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 43

Re: L.J. Hoes is hitting .322

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 3rd, 2011, 7:45 pm

docjj wrote:How's that?


Nice to see a few HR's. I wonder where the new found power is coming from? Any chance we can try him at 2B again, or is his conversion to OF complete?

Stockstill said in an interview today that the move to OF was not because they see him as an outfielder, but because there was no way for him to play 2B at Bowie.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: L.J. Hoes is hitting .322

PostPost #9 by ofahn » August 3rd, 2011, 9:33 pm

Also, it's easier to transition from 2B to LF. My initial point was to give him every opportunity to prove himself at 2B. If he can't hack it, he can move back to LF and will still have plenty opportunity to see if he can stick there. If you move him to LF full-time right now, he's not moving back to 2B two or three years from now.


Stockstill said in an interview today that the move to OF was not because they see him as an outfielder, but because there was no way for him to play 2B at Bowie.


You both make valid points but I wonder if the statements coming out of the FO aren't for the purpose of motivating the players involved.

Hoes was drafted with the understanding that his best position was hitter. Sure, it would be great if he was an above average hitter at 2B but if you wish in one hand and p**p in the other which do think will fill up first?

I think that the team is making a louder statement with its actions than its words. If Hoes was the 2B of the future HE would be getting the innings at 2B. He's at AA and should be playing at his permanent position. I think he is.

If you trust the player development department to know what they're doing (sometimes that takes a leap of faith) then you should assume that they have chosen Ryan Adams as the next 2B with Jonathon Schoop as the next in line. Besides, if Hoes can play an above average LF and produce a .800 or better OPS he is an MLB player.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: L.J. Hoes is hitting .322

PostPost #10 by Shorebirdfan » August 3rd, 2011, 10:52 pm

ofahn wrote:You both make valid points but I wonder if the statements coming out of the FO aren't for the purpose of motivating the players involved.

Hoes was drafted with the understanding that his best position was hitter. Sure, it would be great if he was an above average hitter at 2B but if you wish in one hand and p**p in the other which do think will fill up first?

I think that the team is making a louder statement with its actions than its words. If Hoes was the 2B of the future HE would be getting the innings at 2B. He's at AA and should be playing at his permanent position. I think he is.

If you trust the player development department to know what they're doing (sometimes that takes a leap of faith) then you should assume that they have chosen Ryan Adams as the next 2B with Jonathon Schoop as the next in line. Besides, if Hoes can play an above average LF and produce a .800 or better OPS he is an MLB player.


I agree with everything you've said here which leads back to the original question. IF Hoes is going to be a LF, the power we have seen the last ten days MUST be perminant. If this is just some flash in the pan and he is going to return to being a guy who can hit 5 HR a season, he CANNOT play LF in the majors. IMO
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 559
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 15



Return to Minor Leagues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron