Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Who will be dealt before the deadline?

Who will be dealt before the deadline?

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 28th, 2011, 1:18 am

Let's hear some predictions on which Orioles, if any, will be dealt before the trade deadline.

I say Koji Uehara goes, but Jeremy Guthrie stays. Maybe Derrek Lee gets moved to a team like Arizona or Pittsburgh. I think we all know Jim Johnson is staying put.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Who will be dealt before the deadline?

PostPost #2 by docjj » July 28th, 2011, 2:40 pm

I frankly don't think we'll trade anyone. I doubt there's much interest in any of our guys. There may be a bit of interest in Guthrie and Uehara, but I doubt anyone would give us much in return. I think it makes most sense to deal Uehara given his age, even though it would destabilize the bullpen and turn some late inning leads into more losses.

With Tillman, Matusz, and Britton all disappointing and being demoted, we don't have anyone to send out there if we deal Guthrie. Man, that would be the worst rotation in baseball- A mediocre Simon, a mediocre Arrieta, and a less-than-mediocre Bergesen, and whatever junk we could find...

God we're cursed when it comes to starting pitchers. Remember these names: Matt Riley, Hayden Penn, John Maine? You can now add Chris Tillman, Brian Matusz to their ranks. And I think the jury is still out on Arrieta, Bergesen, and Britton.
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #3 by Shorebirdfan » July 30th, 2011, 10:49 am

Won't happen but I'd love to see Adam Jones moved to ATL for Julio Tehren. Moves that I think will happen are Guthrie and Lee.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #4 by ofahn » July 30th, 2011, 1:30 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:Won't happen but I'd love to see Adam Jones moved to ATL for Julio Tehren. Moves that I think will happen are Guthrie and Lee.

Considering the market the Astros set for Pence I would think that Teheran would the center piece of the trade with AT LEAST two other quality prospects included (Brett Oberholtzer and Arodys Vizcaino).

I think the market for Jones would really open up in the winter if other clubs knew he was available. I would want a MLB ready CF AND 1B for him along with another top prospect. The Giants are a possibility.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by Rising O's » July 30th, 2011, 1:49 pm

New rumor about Koji to the Angels. They have tons of pitching...maybe steal Segura?
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #6 by ofahn » July 30th, 2011, 2:14 pm

Rising O's wrote:New rumor about Koji to the Angels. They have tons of pitching...maybe steal Segura?

Why Segura? He's at the same level as the strength of our farm system. Advanced A middle infielders.

How about Trevor Reckling?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 30th, 2011, 3:33 pm

Reckling would be nice. I still think Koji is the only player that gets dealt, maybe Lee.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #8 by Rising O's » July 30th, 2011, 4:30 pm

Speed baby speed! Angle is the closest thing we have to a leadoff hitter and he may not even be an every day player. After that is Miclat who is even more of a question mark. Then Avery who is still a couple of years away. I'd rather have more bats with the way the Orioles (fail to) develop them.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #9 by ofahn » July 30th, 2011, 5:07 pm

Rising O's wrote:Speed baby speed! Angle is the closest thing we have to a leadoff hitter and he may not even be an every day player. After that is Miclat who is even more of a question mark. Then Avery who is still a couple of years away. I'd rather have more bats with the way the Orioles (fail to) develop them.

Well, it's all academic now but I would have been more comfortable with a player like Segura if he had been MLB ready. Our farm system is SO thin that we can't afford the luxury of a logjam at any position at the same level.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Rising O's » July 31st, 2011, 2:21 pm

My opinion is the Orioles are terrible and getting as much talent as they can at any position is the smart thing to do. I'm more concerned with getting the 4 best players ready so we can put a new infield in Baltimore by 2014 at the latest. If we have extra pieces great, trade for one of those arms everyone else trades for.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

PostPost #11 by rjc3 » July 31st, 2011, 9:08 pm

Rising O's wrote:Speed baby speed! Angle is the closest thing we have to a leadoff hitter and he may not even be an every day player. After that is Miclat who is even more of a question mark. Then Avery who is still a couple of years away. I'd rather have more bats with the way the Orioles (fail to) develop them.

Does Miclat actually have speed, though? I thought he has been succeeding on the base paths due to his instincts rather than his straight speed. Jordan has mentioned it before, Miclat is a gamer and fundamentally sound.
rjc3
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #12 by Shorebirdfan » August 1st, 2011, 7:59 pm

rjc3 wrote:Does Miclat actually have speed, though? I thought he has been succeeding on the base paths due to his instincts rather than his straight speed. Jordan has mentioned it before, Miclat is a gamer and fundamentally sound.

You are correct. I would not consider Greg fast, but instead a smart ball player. Read pitchers well, gets good jumps and and runs when the situation dictates. That said, having watched him daily 2 full seasons ago, I would say he has added a lot on the bases. Quicker first step. He's no Angle but more like Brian Roberts, who I always felt knew when to take the extra base and when he was going to get a good pitch to run on. I would never a regular at the big league level, he has what it takes to be a utility guy in the middle IF, late defensive sub, pinch runner kind of guy.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

Return to Baltimore Orioles