Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Do the Orioles need a GM like Alex Anthopoulos?

Do the Orioles need a GM like Alex Anthopoulos?

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 28th, 2011, 1:24 am

The Rasmus deal today caused a lot of people on Twitter to see the O's need a new, younger GM. People feel that MacPhail works too slowly and doesn't buy into a lot of the new school stats.

MacPhail's contract is up at the end of the season and I am hoping for a Anthopoulos type GM -- a guy who is aggressive with trades and isn't afraid to spend in the draft.

I wanted MacPhail to re-sign up until this season, but I think it's clear that it's time for someone else to step in.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Do the Orioles need a GM like Alex Anthopoulos?

PostPost #2 by ofahn » July 28th, 2011, 7:31 am

As I was watching yesterday's trades unfold my first thought was that MacPhail would never have been able to pull this off.

I think he's better suited as s "checks and balances" guy overseeing an aggressive GM like Anthopoulos.

It's time for a change.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Rising O's » July 28th, 2011, 10:09 am

Snail MacPhail. You don't want him overseeing an aggressive GM he'll just slow the process down, and then having to go through Peter too, eesh. His words tell me the game has passed him by in some respects but he's still competent at what he does. I'm disappointed the Orioles were not in on Rasmus, a rare opportunity to settle the outfield for the next three years with young, high upside talent.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 28th, 2011, 1:57 pm

Rising O's wrote:Snail MacPhail. You don't want him overseeing an aggressive GM he'll just slow the process down, and then having to go through Peter too, eesh. His words tell me the game has passed him by in some respects but he's still competent at what he does. I'm disappointed the Orioles were not in on Rasmus, a rare opportunity to settle the outfield for the next three years with young, high upside talent.

Still upset the O's were not in on Rasmus. He was a 4.3 win player in 2010. Would have been nice to have in the OF. If Markakis bounces back, and Jones continues to hit like he has, that would have been a solid outfield for the next 3 years.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by CamdenRevival » July 28th, 2011, 4:18 pm

I guess I'm one of the few not sold on Rasmus. I don't think MacPhail was slow or out of it--everyone in the world knew Rasmus was on the block. I'm of the belief that Buck isn't an easier manager to play for than Tony LaRussa and Rasmus would've faced more of the same and everyone in the Oriole organization knew that. Rasmus is too young to have an attitude. Buck would rather have Nolan Reimold out there than Rasmus (I know I would--just make it every day and quit playing Pie). In fact, Reimold had a higher OPS in 2009 and has a higher one in 2011 (albeit in limited ABs) and no one questions Nolan's hustle or work ethic this season. Finally, it would've taken at least Guthrie to get Rasmus (given it ended up being Edwin Jackson, who is younger and just as much raw talent) and Rasmus is arbitration-eligible after this season. I see the raw tools and everything that made him a 1st-round pick in '05. Still, I am glad they didn't do it.

As for Toronto, I don't envy their deals, I envy their drafting. Romero, Arencibia, Cecil, Hill, Snider are all great 1st round picks (and going back only a few years more, Rios, Wells, and Halladay). Most of those years, they picked after the Orioles. Anthopoulos is making a lot of interesting deals, but most involve inviting some major personalities to Toronto (Escobar, Lawrie, and Rasmus have all had red flags about their attitude before they came over). It might pay off, but that can also be cancerous to a clubhouse. Only time will tell.
CamdenRevival
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #6 by ofahn » July 28th, 2011, 5:16 pm

Your assessment of Rasmus's attitude is accurate but he would have been one heck of a trading chip and I think the Toronto got him for about fifty cents on the dollar.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by LA Detective » July 30th, 2011, 6:26 pm

Should change now. We will never win until we get back to Pitching AND DEFENSE and Fundamental sound players. The Pie's and the Atkins should never be an Oriole. So much around the league is in love with guys who can hit. Let's be creative and scour the league for the RIGHT guys. Build around our core of MW,JJ,AJ,NM...these guys can hit and field. AM did a good job of stock piling good arms. With great D we can let them grow through the tough times. This includes the Minors. There are too many good hit, no field guys..
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 30th, 2011, 11:41 pm

LA Detective wrote:Should change now. We will never win until we get back to Pitching AND DEFENSE and Fundamental sound players. The Pie's and the Atkins should never be an Oriole. So much around the league is in love with guys who can hit. Let's be creative and scour the league for the RIGHT guys. Build around our core of MW,JJ,AJ,NM...these guys can hit and field. AM did a good job of stock piling good arms. With great D we can let them grow through the tough times. This includes the Minors. There are too many good hit, no field guys..

Couldn't agree more with this. The Orioles have the worst defense in the majors this year and it has cost them 35 runs.

I think next year will be the last chance for the pitching to come together, and if it doesn't, then they will be trading Jones, etc.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles