Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Arizona Fall League candidates

Arizona Fall League candidates

PostPost #1 by rjc3 » July 27th, 2011, 10:41 pm

Obviously it is about 3 months away, but who could the O's be sending to the AFL this season?

Jonathan Schoop and Manny Machado are obvious candidates, but I am unsure of the exact rules for what level a player must be at to go. Can anyone clear this up?

Avery, Hoes, Mahoney are other guys I would like to see go.
rjc3
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Arizona Fall League candidates

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 27th, 2011, 11:49 pm

Here are the rules, quoting my piece from last year:

Player Eligibility – players must meet the follow criteria in order to play in the AFL:
- Must have less than one year of MLB service time.
- Must be on a Double-A, Triple-A or MLB roster as of August 1st.
- Must have been activated from the DL before the last 45 days of the season.
- Must be on the parent club’s 40-man roster or still guaranteed to be under team control for the next season. Basically, if the player would be eligible for the Rule-5 draft, he may not participate in the AFL.

Exceptions and restrictions to the rules:
- Each major league team may send no more than 2 players who were playing in A-ball or below as of August 1st.
- Each major league club may include just one “foreign” as one of their 7 players (“Foreign” is being from places where “Winter Ball” is played: the Dominican Republic, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and Venezuela).
- Each major league club may send just one player from the previous year’s Rule-5 draft.

So yes, the Orioles could send both Machado and Schoop as the two players at A-Ball or below.

Right now, I would send Manny Machado, Jonathan Schoop, Brandon Erbe, Xavier Avery, LJ Hoes, Luis Lebron, and Oliver Drake.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 27th, 2011, 11:58 pm

Also candidates: Tyler Townsend (if healthy) and Dan Klein (if healthy).
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by Shorebirdfan » July 28th, 2011, 6:41 am

I'd like to see Ryan Berry get down there to supplement his innings this season. That would assume he is healthy enough and pitching well enough to move to Bowie prior to the season ending.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #5 by Don » July 28th, 2011, 7:26 am

You will see LJ Hoes, Oliver Drake, maybe Xavier Avery again, Clayton Schrader

I would have said Trent Mummey, but he would not classify. I would not be surprised to see Kipp Schutz. They will keep the youth of Manny and Jonathan at home. These two do not need the showcase this season. It is better to do it next year when they duo have a realistic crack at the 25 man roster the following spring.

I said Schrader because he could use the extra time and maybe it is a platform that propels him into MLB spring training.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #6 by j.q. higgins » July 28th, 2011, 7:56 am

could you envision florimon going out there?
j.q. higgins
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #7 by Don » July 28th, 2011, 10:10 am

Florimon is a bit perplexing. Once scouts feel he is organizational type, he will go on a tear as evident these three weeks. I would like to see him scrape switch hitting and stick with batting right only. He sees the ball better and likely would see a tick increase in contact rate, OPS, etc... while improving the K/BB ratio. He defensive footwork still must improve. I continue to see false steps in his throw to first and false steps turning the double play.

All of this being said, you have to wonder if he is on the cutting room floor on the 40 man roster. I think he is No. 38-40 and have other players passed him in the organizational depth chart. If he is off the 40, Pedro is subjected to Rule 5 draft and not eligibile for the AFL.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 28th, 2011, 2:00 pm

Don wrote:You will see LJ Hoes, Oliver Drake, maybe Xavier Avery again, Clayton Schrader

I would have said Trent Mummey, but he would not classify. I would not be surprised to see Kipp Schutz. They will keep the youth of Manny and Jonathan at home. These two do not need the showcase this season. It is better to do it next year when they duo have a realistic crack at the 25 man roster the following spring.

I said Schrader because he could use the extra time and maybe it is a platform that propels him into MLB spring training.

I would like to see Schrader go. As you've said they need to move him quickly and his stuff could probably play in the majors soon.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Shorebirdfan » August 21st, 2011, 12:24 am

Almost a month later....any changes in thinking here?
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #10 by Don » August 21st, 2011, 8:58 am

Seeing the announcement of fall instruction is limited to 25 players for a three to four week span, I would say that it does not change the selection process to much.

If I were the Orioles and seeing the landscape of needs, press two relief pitchers into the AFL with the hopes that one or both could help out the organization next season. These could include Schrader, Tolliver, or Henry. Schrader might be off the list because the injury and the funny rules with AFL.

I think LJ Hoes and Xavier Avery could still use the additional at bat to grow at the plate. It would also be nice to get a fresh voice to both of them in practices and instruction.

I would like to keep Ryan Berry in the fall league and under a supervised pitch count.

My five guys: Caleb Joesph, LJ Hoes, Xavier Avery, Randy Henry, Ashur Tolliver.

Next five guys: Oliver Drake, Joe Mahoney, Mike Wright, Kyle Hudson, Wynn Pelzer
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #11 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 21st, 2011, 9:30 pm

Don wrote:Seeing the announcement of fall instruction is limited to 25 players for a three to four week span, I would say that it does not change the selection process to much.

If I were the Orioles and seeing the landscape of needs, press two relief pitchers into the AFL with the hopes that one or both could help out the organization next season. These could include Schrader, Tolliver, or Henry. Schrader might be off the list because the injury and the funny rules with AFL.

I think LJ Hoes and Xavier Avery could still use the additional at bat to grow at the plate. It would also be nice to get a fresh voice to both of them in practices and instruction.

I would like to keep Ryan Berry in the fall league and under a supervised pitch count.

Next five guys: Oliver Drake, Joe Mahoney, Mike Wright, Kyle Hudson, Wynn Pelzer

Mahoney makes a lot of sense because of the injuries. Henry is likely to hit his innings limit so I don't think he'll be going. But Avery and Hoes seem like the best options.

Wright is another guy that would make sense -- with the rotations of Aberdeen and Delmarva expected to be crowded, they should look into getting Wright some experience so he can start 2012 at Frederick.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by j.q. higgins » August 22nd, 2011, 1:15 pm

Don wrote:

do you see joseph as a guy that should be challenging for a spot on the big club next year, or does he still have a little room to develop?
j.q. higgins
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #13 by Don » August 22nd, 2011, 2:29 pm

I am not quite sure if he is a regular, but at least he shows enough to be seen as a backup on MLB roster. I think it is logical to see him push for that role next season and at least fit that mold in 2013 as a regular backup at the very least.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #14 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 29th, 2011, 10:40 pm

Please move all AFL discussion to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=514
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Minor Leagues