Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

The Progression of Jonathan Schoop's Swing: Mechanically

The Progression of Jonathan Schoop's Swing: Mechanically

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 25th, 2011, 11:13 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/2011/07/26/th ... hanically/

By: Don Olsen

Jonathan Schoop has been one of the fastest rising prospects that I have seen from the Orioles in a very long time. He was given a limited look on the international market, and now three years later is seen as one of the top O's prospects and part of a group of top tier international prospects in baseball. He is known to be highly coachable and has taken instruction rather well in a short period of time. This article will break down the improvements in Schoop’s swing & approach at the plate and you will get an understanding of his ability to be a dual threat hitter down the road.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: The Progression of Jonathan Schoop's Swing: Mechanically

PostPost #2 by Rising O's » July 26th, 2011, 1:53 pm

Pretty awesome if he is to be our 2nd baseman in 2014. We could have a pretty good infield in a few years with Machado, Esposito/Narron, and Townsend.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #3 by rjc3 » July 26th, 2011, 3:30 pm

Rising O's wrote:Pretty awesome if he is to be our 2nd baseman in 2014. We could have a pretty good infield in a few years with Machado, Esposito/Narron, and Townsend.

From what I understand Narron has a long way to go defensively but the walk rate is definitely nice to see and is a sign that with adjustments to his swing he could enjoy success.
rjc3
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #4 by rjc3 » July 26th, 2011, 3:31 pm

Don, thanks for pointing out the improvements. For those that don't normally understand mechanical breakdowns, the freeze frames definitely help me understand and see the changes.

unrelated to his swing, does he end up at 2B or 3B or could he play both?
rjc3
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by JustinUtah » July 26th, 2011, 11:20 pm

I have always loved the scouting part of baseball. Breaking down swings, seeing how they field their position. And like in football do they pass that "eyeball" test. I remember back when I saw Schoop on ESPN as a 15 year old playing for his country's senior league baseball team's World Series. I could see his balance and athletecism. Although what stood out to me was desire and confidence. I was certainly thrilled when the TV hosts said that the O's had signed him.
JustinUtah
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by Rising O's » July 27th, 2011, 4:48 pm

Narron is making the switch to 3rd too and is still in his first year. We'll get a better idea next year if he's going to be a player. If they sign DelMonico his options will be limited though and may have to move to the outfield.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 27th, 2011, 10:14 pm

rjc3 wrote:unrelated to his swing, does he end up at 2B or 3B or could he play both?

I think he will eventually outgrow second base, but could probably still play there every once in a while. Has arm for 3B, more of a 3B body, too.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 27th, 2011, 10:16 pm

JustinUtah wrote:I have always loved the scouting part of baseball. Breaking down swings, seeing how they field their position. And like in football do they pass that "eyeball" test. I remember back when I saw Schoop on ESPN as a 15 year old playing for his country's senior league baseball team's World Series. I could see his balance and athletecism. Although what stood out to me was desire and confidence. I was certainly thrilled when the TV hosts said that the O's had signed him.

For sure, and as Don mentioned, he is known to take coaching well and is always looking to improve.

The scouts I've spoken with said that a Latin American player's ability to speak English normally correlates pretty well with their work ethic. And from what I've seen from being around Schoop, he knows English more than most of the international guys in the O's system.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Minor Leagues