Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Tigers interested in Guthrie

Re: Tigers interested in Guthrie

PostPost #16 by rjc3 » July 20th, 2011, 2:49 pm

Don wrote:No way that trade goes down at anytime. Those two players would go for Ubaldo and those types. I think Guthrie has number one ability, but his value is no where near that on the open market.

How about just Alfonso for Guthrie and Uehara?

Solve the 1B problem right there.
rjc3
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #17 by ofahn » July 20th, 2011, 2:50 pm

Don wrote:Well, technically, neither do the Orioles because he is still under arbitration.

Which, of course, improves our leverage but I bet they trade Guthrie by the 31st.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #18 by rjc3 » July 20th, 2011, 2:50 pm

ofahn wrote:
Don wrote:Well, technically, neither do the Orioles because he is still under arbitration.

Which, of course, improves our leverage but I bet they trade Guthrie by the 31st.

I would say so as well.

We have been waiting to trade Guthrie for the past few years and I think this year they finally get it done.
rjc3
DSL Orioles

PostPost #19 by ofahn » July 20th, 2011, 3:32 pm

rjc3 wrote:How about just Alfonso for Guthrie and Uehara?

Solve the 1B problem right there.

If I were the O's I would want at least ONE pitcher in that deal. The question is how advanced would that pitcher be?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #20 by Rising O's » July 20th, 2011, 4:34 pm

Alfonso + Boxberger would be good.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #21 by ofahn » July 20th, 2011, 4:43 pm

Rising O's wrote:Alfonso + Boxberger would be good.

You do mean YONDER ALONSO, right?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by rjc3 » July 20th, 2011, 5:50 pm

Rising O's wrote:Alfonso + Boxberger would be good.

Maybe even a package just built around Boxberger. Try him as a starter again.
rjc3
DSL Orioles

PostPost #23 by Don » July 21st, 2011, 1:02 pm

You cannot build a trade for a starting pitcher around Boxberger, who is best a middle relief pitcher. I like Boxberger, but you are better off going for a combo of Ronald Torreyes and Daniel Corcino. At least role the dice on an everyday shortstop and starter that at worst could be a closer in the making with higher FB MPH readings.

Now for Koji, Boxberger is fine piece, but if I were the Reds Boxberger would get the call up over bringing in the Koji players of the world.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #24 by rjc3 » July 21st, 2011, 1:17 pm

Don wrote:You cannot build a trade for a starting pitcher around Boxberger, who is best a middle relief pitcher. I like Boxberger, but you are better off going for a combo of Ronald Torreyes and Daniel Corcino. At least role the dice on an everyday shortstop and starter that at worst could be a closer in the making with higher FB MPH readings.

Now for Koji, Boxberger is fine piece, but if I were the Reds Boxberger would get the call up over bringing in the Koji players of the world.

Not meant to challenge your opinion, but why can't Box start?
rjc3
DSL Orioles

PostPost #25 by Don » July 21st, 2011, 1:35 pm

He does not have the mix of effective pitches. I do not see the third pitch being effective enough to get around a rotation more than once. As I said, I like him, but think the Reds did the correct thing by moving him into a bullpen role.

It is what the Orioles should do with a couple of guys that could really advance with a move to the pen.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #26 by j.q. higgins » July 22nd, 2011, 7:39 am

so, who DO you think the o's should move to the pen?
j.q. higgins
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #27 by Don » July 22nd, 2011, 9:45 am

Spoone has already moved to the Bullpen and Bascom is doing the same once a promotion takes place within the next week or so...

Spoone is working on two little subtle things in his delivery and should pick up to 93-94 and all things go well he likely could be a bullpen arm in the future, if not Orioles than some other club on the rule 5 draft.

In AAA, Steve Johnson should do rather well in that role, but I understand keeping him as a starter for the Tide. It gets him regular work. I do not know what to make of Chris Tillman. I said in the spring training that the Orioles should take of the weighted belt and allow him to grip it and rip it. I think he has the mid 90's arm, but forces pitches too much. The Orioles want an effective pitcher and he best role is what Jim Johnson is doing now IMO. There is no shame in a bullpen arm and it is not a bust. Everyone has a role to play and his best long term is back of the bullpen in my eyes.

In AA, aforementioned Spoone was a logical choice. Tim Bascom makes another solid case of what can he give with max one inning effort. I like the arm, but think it works best and effective if he is unleased. I pull for Rick Zagone, but I am not quite sure the stuff is fringe at this point. Tough to say with any person, but maybe he can reinvent himself as well. I still want to leave Oliver Drake as a starter. His role may not be a number 5 with the Orioles, but keep him long to be a transition long relief or spot starter. He still shows enough that I would not rule out starter role.

A+, A. Rk = Best arms are always starters or closer. It is not always the case, but for a large part you play the game with the best arms and allow them to sort out the type of pitcher they become in the future.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #28 by ofahn » July 22nd, 2011, 10:38 am

Steve Johnson should do rather well in that role, but I understand keeping him as a starter for the Tide

If he could do something to keep hitters off of his straight fastball he could be a MLB #4 or 5 starter. Some teams have taught pitchers like him a cut fastball or have worked hard to develop a change up about ten miles an hour slower than the straight fastball but with the same motion.

He's only 24 (in August) but it seems to me that the organization should have started working on this with him last winter. This failure to be proactive is one of the reasons that we seem to be UNABLE to develop the full potential of our prospects.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #29 by Don » July 22nd, 2011, 11:38 am

Steve Johnson is not in an ideal slot to teach a cutter becuase it would not have the clean snap effect with strong lateral movment. He works a circle change, but the arm slot gets little movement. Basically, everything rides straight because of the slot. You can tinker with it, but he is what he is at this point in time.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #30 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 22nd, 2011, 11:44 am

ofahn wrote:
Steve Johnson should do rather well in that role, but I understand keeping him as a starter for the Tide

If he could do something to keep hitters off of his straight fastball he could be a MLB #4 or 5 starter. Some teams have taught pitchers like him a cut fastball or have worked hard to develop a change up about ten miles an hour slower than the straight fastball but with the same motion.

He's only 24 (in August) but it seems to me that the organization should have started working on this with him last winter. This failure to be proactive is one of the reasons that we seem to be UNABLE to develop the full potential of our prospects.

He would have been much better off with the Dodgers in the bigger park. His curveball his solid though and I think he'd be a fine reliever with what he has now. Not a great one, but an average guy in the middle of a bullpen.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles