Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Chris Nelson

Chris Nelson

PostPost #1 by CamdenRevival » September 11th, 2010, 11:46 pm

If the Orioles are shopping for a talented young SS in the off-season, should they pursue Chris Nelson of the Rockies? He was the guy a lot of people thought the Orioles should've taken in the draft back in 2004 instead of Wade Townsend (Angelos supposedly wanted the easy college sign--oops). But the Rockies drafted a SS the next year (Tulowitzki) that leap-frogged Nelson. So Nelson is blocked and likely dealable. His minor-league #s don't blow you away, but it sounds like he plays the game right way (anyone see that steal of home earlier this week) and could grow with the team. Cheaper, more talented, and likely a better hitter than Izzy already. Don't know if he'll come cheap, but it's a intriguing choice at shortstop given the FA market probably isn't going to yield anything great.
CamdenRevival
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Chris Nelson

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 12th, 2010, 8:02 pm

He's definitely a guy I'd look at. Fairly patient hitter, average power, should be able to get the job done and provide some offensive production from SS -- where we haven't gotten any offensive production from in years.

How's his defense?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by 2131andBeyond » September 13th, 2010, 1:56 am

Definitely sounds like an interesting thought. Did see that steal, but did not realize it was their shortstop prospect I had heard about. Fast guy, seems young still by look with room to grow.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by allstar1579 » September 13th, 2010, 8:51 am

Jordan wrote:He's definitely a guy I'd look at. Fairly patient hitter, average power, should be able to get the job done and provide some offensive production from SS -- where we haven't gotten any offensive production from in years.

How's his defense?

Average, with average speed. He has above average hands and great footwork so that's where his bread and butter is, in the "little things".

Decent gap hitter, doubles guy pretty good bat speed.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by CamdenRevival » September 13th, 2010, 5:15 pm

The fact that he doesn't project as a superstar and is blocked at SS means that he shouldn't cost the Orioles an elite prospect, but he still sounds like a good building block for a contender. The Orioles have enough pitching depth to surrender a quality (but not superstar) guy to take a flyer on Nelson. Playing in Denver, they'd want a ground ball pitcher, I'd imagine. Wonder if they'd take Albers? I know we knock the guy a lot, but he's been mostly solid and gets the ground ball as much as anyone.
CamdenRevival
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by allstar1579 » September 13th, 2010, 6:35 pm

CamdenRevival wrote:The fact that he doesn't project as a superstar and is blocked at SS means that he shouldn't cost the Orioles an elite prospect, but he still sounds like a good building block for a contender. The Orioles have enough pitching depth to surrender a quality (but not superstar) guy to take a flyer on Nelson. Playing in Denver, they'd want a ground ball pitcher, I'd imagine. Wonder if they'd take Albers? I know we knock the guy a lot, but he's been mostly solid and gets the ground ball as much as anyone.

The problem lies in the fact that he is a SS. Premium position guys demand more in trades just by nature of the position, especially a mid INF guy with a little pop. On a straight-up basis you are probably looking at them asking for a guy like Tillman and a fair swap would probably be more for a Snyder or Bell.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #7 by 2131andBeyond » September 13th, 2010, 11:23 pm

What will be interesting at SS will not only be the decision to keep Izzy, move Andino to an every day player, keep Lugo and start him there, or go after a FA, but how this decision will coincide with Machado's development. Yes, I know he will not be ready to come up in at least 2 more years or so, but his progression will mean a lot to how MacPhail decides to play around with the spot depending how many years they expect the position to be vacant pre-Machado era.

Do we have Andino, Izzy, Lugo, or a FA sign on for 2 years at the spot? Or look for a fill in for just this year and look on after next season?
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #8 by CamdenRevival » September 14th, 2010, 1:20 am

I don't think we see Machado in Baltimore until 2013 at best (and I mean September callups). He missed most of this season with a contract holdout, so he's already behind and that alone makes two years a stretch.

Besides, I don't mean to be a wet blanket about it and I'm definitely excited about Machado's potential, but let's not forget that Nelson was a highly touted #1 pick six years ago and he still hasn't cracked the majors full-time (not to mention Matt Bush from the same draft). In fact, the Orioles are still waiting for their last first-round HS shortstop/top bat in the draft to pass High-A after four years (Rowell)--and he was just as highly touted as Machado. And don't forget, there's still talk that Machado could end up at third.

So if I were Andy, I wouldn't make any decisions based on Machado. If the Orioles are lucky enough to have Machado rip it up A-Rod style in the minors, that'll be a fun problem to have. If they find a legit multi-year option at short that's a step up with a bat (not hard) and can play comparable defense (a little harder), I'd say sign him. And prepare to move someone if Manny comes quick...
CamdenRevival
DSL Orioles

PostPost #9 by DougDE » September 14th, 2010, 1:47 am

Was Rowell really as highly touted as Machado? Some analysts have said there were some class years where Machado could have been the number 1 pick (08?). I dont remember that kinda national hype for Rowell
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #10 by allstar1579 » September 14th, 2010, 8:54 am

DougDE wrote:Was Rowell really as highly touted as Machado? Some analysts have said there were some class years where Machado could have been the number 1 pick (08?). I dont remember that kinda national hype for Rowell

Only in the sense that they were both the best HS hitting prospects in their prospective drafts. Manny has a much better shot at sticking at SS than Billy did (they knew he was moving when they drafted him), and Manny went at #3 whereas Billy was in the teens, and it wasn't because of signing demands. There are softer years, but this year was one of them, so I think he went a bit higher than he would have say next year, every year is different though.

That being said, you are going to see someone brought in for at least 2 years no matter who it is, but Andino and Lugo are NOT passable as everyday players, so if it's not Izzy, it'll be outside the organization.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #11 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 14th, 2010, 9:03 am

CamdenRevival wrote:If the Orioles are shopping for a talented young SS in the off-season, should they pursue Chris Nelson of the Rockies? He was the guy a lot of people thought the Orioles should've taken in the draft back in 2004 instead of Wade Townsend (Angelos supposedly wanted the easy college sign--oops). But the Rockies drafted a SS the next year (Tulowitzki) that leap-frogged Nelson. So Nelson is blocked and likely dealable. His minor-league #s don't blow you away, but it sounds like he plays the game right way (anyone see that steal of home earlier this week) and could grow with the team. Cheaper, more talented, and likely a better hitter than Izzy already. Don't know if he'll come cheap, but it's a intriguing choice at shortstop given the FA market probably isn't going to yield anything great.

I'm one of the very few people in Baltimore who wants Cesar back. His defense is invaluable to this team, especially with all of our young players. If we were going to trade for a SS, I'd go after either Nelson or Chin-lung Hu. Dirt cheap and he is a better hitter than Izzy, but not by much. Sigh... Machado better get here quick. I've forgotten what it's like to have a shortstop who actually knows how to hit.
Baltimore! BUCK YEAH! Coming into save the MOTHER BUCKING day yeah!

http://flavadave10.wordpress.com
LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #12 by allstar1579 » September 14th, 2010, 9:11 am

LukeScottsShotgun wrote:
CamdenRevival wrote:If the Orioles are shopping for a talented young SS in the off-season, should they pursue Chris Nelson of the Rockies? He was the guy a lot of people thought the Orioles should've taken in the draft back in 2004 instead of Wade Townsend (Angelos supposedly wanted the easy college sign--oops). But the Rockies drafted a SS the next year (Tulowitzki) that leap-frogged Nelson. So Nelson is blocked and likely dealable. His minor-league #s don't blow you away, but it sounds like he plays the game right way (anyone see that steal of home earlier this week) and could grow with the team. Cheaper, more talented, and likely a better hitter than Izzy already. Don't know if he'll come cheap, but it's a intriguing choice at shortstop given the FA market probably isn't going to yield anything great.

I'm one of the very few people in Baltimore who wants Cesar back. His defense is invaluable to this team, especially with all of our young players. If we were going to trade for a SS, I'd go after either Nelson or Chin-lung Hu. Dirt cheap and he is a better hitter than Izzy, but not by much. Sigh... Machado better get here quick. I've forgotten what it's like to have a shortstop who actually knows how to hit.

I think we have some better options in the system, but none that would be ready for next season. Miclat is good defensively and can give you a little speed (a younger Izzy), but he's the closest, the rest are all in that Fred./Sal. logjam. All things considered I'd take Izzy over a lot of the options out there, but that's mostly because there aren't many options left. Izzy's defense took a good step downwards this year, I think it's more his range than his hands, which happens to older players.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #13 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 14th, 2010, 9:16 am

allstar1579 wrote:
LukeScottsShotgun wrote:

I think we have some better options in the system, but none that would be ready for next season. Miclat is good defensively and can give you a little speed (a younger Izzy), but he's the closest, the rest are all in that Fred./Sal. logjam. All things considered I'd take Izzy over a lot of the options out there, but that's mostly because there aren't many options left. Izzy's defense took a good step downwards this year, I think it's more his range than his hands, which happens to older players.

Yeah, look at the FA class. It's pathetic that Cesar is probably the best option for us out of all of them. We could go a completely different direction and sign Uribe, but his defense is so horrendous that his bat does not make up for it. I think a platoon of Cesar and Lugo might work. Lugo's proven to be a nugget of sorts for us. And I'm not ready to give up on Andino yet.

LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #14 by allstar1579 » September 14th, 2010, 9:24 am

LukeScottsShotgun wrote:
Yeah, look at the FA class. It's pathetic that Cesar is probably the best option for us out of all of them. We could go a completely different direction and sign Uribe, but his defense is so horrendous that his bat does not make up for it. I think a platoon of Cesar and Lugo might work. Lugo's proven to be a nugget of sorts for us. And I'm not ready to give up on Andino yet.

Yeah I'm not one of those guys that will sacrifice defense for offense in the middle INF. The Cards are in it every year and they pretty much only go with D up the middle. Lugo has done OK as a MIF sub, but that's about the best you'll get out of him, and Andino was a AAA player before we gave him a shot, then this year making 25+ errors at AAA was enough to black list him from the roster for me. It's not like he hits like Uribe even.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #15 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 14th, 2010, 9:27 am

allstar1579 wrote:
LukeScottsShotgun wrote:

Yeah I'm not one of those guys that will sacrifice defense for offense in the middle INF. The Cards are in it every year and they pretty much only go with D up the middle. Lugo has done OK as a MIF sub, but that's about the best you'll get out of him, and Andino was a AAA player before we gave him a shot, then this year making 25+ errors at AAA was enough to black list him from the roster for me. It's not like he hits like Uribe even.

Andino's been good so far in September though. It's probably the same false hope that Hernandez gave us a few years ago, but it's still hope. He's a better hitter than Cesar, but that's not saying much.

LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles