Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Tigers interested in Guthrie

Tigers interested in Guthrie

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 18th, 2011, 11:40 am

http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/mlbb ... ie/5592193

Add another name to the Tigers’ list of potential pitching acquisitions: Baltimore right-hander Jeremy Guthrie.

The Tigers have interest in Guthrie, sources say, but he’s behind the likes of Ubaldo Jimenez and Hiroki Kuroda on their wish list.

Orioles general manager Andy MacPhail may hesitate to move Guthrie, because he leads the beleaguered Baltimore staff in innings pitched. Guthrie is just 3-13 with a 4.45 ERA, but he offers stability at a time when highly-touted prospects Brian Matusz, Zach Britton, and Chris Tillman have fallen back into the minor leagues.

I think I'd deal Guthrie for maybe Andrew Oliver (hope he returns to 2010 form) + a bit more (maybe Charlie Furbrush as mention in the article).
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Tigers interested in Guthrie

PostPost #2 by Rising O's » July 18th, 2011, 5:27 pm

Castellanos + Oliver.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #3 by ofahn » July 18th, 2011, 5:41 pm

Why Castellanos if we sign Esposito.

I'd prefer Oliver and Furbrush because they are both MLB ready, even if neither is better than a #3 starter.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 18th, 2011, 9:09 pm

Rising O's wrote:Castellanos + Oliver.

I doubt the Tigers would deal Castellanos. Has hit about .320 with a .860 OPS if you exclude his rough month of April.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Rising O's » July 19th, 2011, 9:48 am

Does Oliver need more developmental time? Did the Tigers set him back by rushing him to the majors? Is his stuff good enough to be more than a 3-4 on a ML roster? GB% is worrisome.

I'd worry about who plays where after they agreed to trade Castellanos. Esposito could start in AA. Schoop, Machado, Esposito, Narron, it would be a good problem to have.

It obvious why the Orioles would focus on a near ready ML pitcher and a BP arm but is it enough?
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 19th, 2011, 12:07 pm

Rising O's wrote:Does Oliver need more developmental time? Did the Tigers set him back by rushing him to the majors? Is his stuff good enough to be more than a 3-4 on a ML roster? GB% is worrisome.

The increase in walks scares me a bit but I know Oliver has the pure stuff to start in the majors.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Don » July 19th, 2011, 1:24 pm

You have to look beyond the name of pitching prospects with grades and notice the type of pitcher fits well with the Orioles. It is best to grab a swing and miss pitcher that keeps in down in the zone for ground ball contact.

Oliver and most of the other pitchers not named Justin Turner are AO types. They would be homerun nightmares for the Orioles. Look at Brian Matusz, a long time AO pitcher. Without dominating stuff, he gives up fly balls. In the humid, summer air they travel and most of the AL East are launching pad parks.

This is something to consider with the prospects being metioned in the upper tiers of the Tigers organization.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #8 by ofahn » July 19th, 2011, 2:23 pm

Don wrote:You have to look beyond the name of pitching prospects with grades and notice the type of pitcher fits well with the Orioles. It is best to grab a swing and miss pitcher that keeps in down in the zone for ground ball contact.

Oliver and most of the other pitchers not named Justin Turner are AO types. They would be homerun nightmares for the Orioles. Look at Brian Matusz, a long time AO pitcher. Without dominating stuff, he gives up fly balls. In the humid, summer air they travel and most of the AL East are launching pad parks.

This is something to consider with the prospects being metioned in the upper tiers of the Tigers organization.

If you were GM for a day and wanted to trade Guthrie whom do you think you would have a legitimate chance to get?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by rjc3 » July 20th, 2011, 11:50 am

If the Orioles want pitching back, why not just keep Guthrie?

I mean Guthrie is eating the innings they want, and if another team had an MLB ready starter to trade he's probably as good as Guthrie.
rjc3
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #10 by ofahn » July 20th, 2011, 12:42 pm

rjc3 wrote:If the Orioles want pitching back, why not just keep Guthrie?

I mean Guthrie is eating the innings they want, and if another team had an MLB ready starter to trade he's probably as good as Guthrie.

Guthrie's gone after next season. Let's get some value for him now that we can use to rebuild.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by rjc3 » July 20th, 2011, 1:19 pm

ofahn wrote:
rjc3 wrote:If the Orioles want pitching back, why not just keep Guthrie?

Guthrie's gone after next season. Let's get some value for him now that we can use to rebuild.

I understand that. I think they should trade him. I just don't understand why they want to deal Guthrie for MLB ready pitching when they already have that in Guthrie. If a team has a AAA guy that they are willing to do, the team could use the AAA guy and he could provide similar value to Guthrie.
rjc3
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #12 by ofahn » July 20th, 2011, 2:11 pm

There's a HUGE leap between potential at AAA and a proven MLB pitcher.

Yesterday, Guthrie shut down the Red Sox. Knowing that a pitcher can do that at this level against that kind of team makes him valuable to a contender.

I just wish he would have pitched better this last month or we would be looking at a trade including Guthrie and Uehara to Cincinnati for Alonso and Mike Leake instead of two lesser pitchers from Detroit.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Don » July 20th, 2011, 2:13 pm

No way that trade goes down at anytime. Those two players would go for Ubaldo and those types. I think Guthrie has number one ability, but his value is no where near that on the open market.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #14 by ofahn » July 20th, 2011, 2:23 pm

Don wrote:No way that trade goes down at anytime. Those two players would go for Ubaldo and those types. I think Guthrie has number one ability, but his value is no where near that on the open market.

Colorado doesn't have to trade Jimenez so they will extract a premium for him. My guess is that they will demand something like Montero, Banuelos, and Betances or just hold on to him.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by Don » July 20th, 2011, 2:29 pm

Well, technically, neither do the Orioles because he is still under arbitration.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles