Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Keys vs. Blue Rocks 7/16/11

Keys vs. Blue Rocks 7/16/11

PostPost #1 by DougDE » July 16th, 2011, 8:59 pm

Went and saw the Keys play in Wilmington tonight. My scouting is certainly not in depth but here are my observations. There was a scene where Steve Bumbry got a called strike 3 for his 2nd K of the game. He was obviously upset after the 1-1 pitch was called a strike, and when he was called out, he pointed the bat directly at the umpires head while barking. Then he started walking away and slammed it hard enough to bounce as high as his head then he did the same with his helmet. Through out all this the umpire just stared at him. From what I saw the ump did not eject him, which was unbelieveable, but he was apparently lifted by the Keys. M. Flacco hit a couple balls hard, including a triple to the base of the wall. Schoop had a couple hits, but neither was squared up, one was an infield single and the other was a chopper that bounced high enough to go over the 3B's head. When he was going first to 3rd on a single to right, he ignored the third base coach's signal to slide and it was to close for comfort on the play at 3rd. He was never really tested defensively at short. Machado was out of the game with the hip but he was coaching 1st which I thought was good to see, to keep him in the game. The livliest arm of the night seemed to belong to Clay Schrader who got a 3 run save, altho he did walk 2. Also, M. Abreu was in CF tonight and he made several real nice plays including a diving catch. He appeared to have some wheels and ran a long way to catch a couple balls
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: Keys vs. Blue Rocks 7/16/11

PostPost #2 by Shorebirdfan » July 16th, 2011, 9:33 pm

According to the game log on MILB.com, Bumbry was in fact ejected from the game (and that was actually his 3rd K of the night). I will say that in my years of attending minor league baseball, this season I've seen the worst umpiring ever, and its not even close. Ryan Minor was also ejected tonight at Delmarva for arguing a call.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 16th, 2011, 9:39 pm

Thanks for posting this Doug.

Schrader should be up in AA at this point. Like you said he walked two, but he's just been unhittable at both Delmarva and Frederick.

Abreu is above-average defensively all around the diamond. I like both him and Flacco as org. guys.

Looks like Schoop is finally coming around, with 4 hits and 5 walks in his last 4 games.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #4 by DougDE » July 16th, 2011, 9:44 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:According to the game log on MILB.com, Bumbry was in fact ejected from the game (and that was actually his 3rd K of the night). I will say that in my years of attending minor league baseball, this season I've seen the worst umpiring ever, and its not even close. Ryan Minor was also ejected tonight at Delmarva for arguing a call.

Okay that makes sense. I never saw the hand gesture from the umpire but I had a kid who couldnt sit still with me too. The actions from Bumbry were pretty egregious. Where I was sitting I couldnt tell the location of the pitches to know about the calls
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Return to Minor Leagues