Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

billy rowell

billy rowell

PostPost #1 by j.q. higgins » July 16th, 2011, 9:27 am

so, is there anything salvageable w/ rowell? it's hard to believe he's still only 22, but i noticed he's back at the gcl. is this injury related or are they breaking him down and seeing if they can put him together again?
j.q. higgins
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: billy rowell

PostPost #2 by ofahn » July 16th, 2011, 11:17 am

Billy Rowell may be the career ending mixture of not enough talent and unwillingness to take instruction.

it's the perfect example of why SUCCESSFUL scouting is more than just stats and game video. It's also getting to know the player well enough to how he will adjust to the expectations of a professional career and adjusting to the inevitable failure that all players encounter.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 16th, 2011, 9:20 pm

j.q. higgins wrote:so, is there anything salvageable w/ rowell? it's hard to believe he's still only 22, but i noticed he's back at the gcl. is this injury related or are they breaking him down and seeing if they can put him together again?

He's injured so he's on rehab down there.

You bring up a good point though. Honestly, send him to Delmarva and hope he enjoys some success. He's so used to struggling so see what he can do after hitting well for an extended period (assuming he hits well in the SAL). Give him some confidence.

We know he still has the bat speed, just needs to sharpen approach. . .a lot.

It's different, but we saw something similar with L.J. Hoes. He was expecting to open 2011 with Bowie and when he was sent to Frederick he tried to do too much. His batting average and walks went south despite it being his second year in the Carolina League. When he was promoted to Bowie he was more comfortable, returned to what he had been doing for all of 2010, and started to hit again.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #4 by dan72 » August 17th, 2011, 10:49 pm

I've seen him play several times the last few years, at this point he needs to revamp his swing. He has that downward plane swing. To best describe it, I would say that it does not look fluid or natural. I find it hard to believe that no on has tried to fix his swing. Having said that maybe it is an issue with him not accepting direction. Maybe it is a problem with the Orioles not having a coach that can fix him.
To be kind I would say he is a long shot to ever make it to the show.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Return to Minor Leagues