Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

2012 Delmarva Rotation

2012 Delmarva Rotation

PostPost #1 by Aaron » July 13th, 2011, 1:04 pm

I don’t know about everyone else but I was excited to see the Delmarva rotation heading into the 2010 season. With Matt Hobgood, Bobby Bundy, Jesse Beal, Jake Cowan and Ryan Berry I thought that we had some of our best young prospects all on the same team. But due to injury and lack of production it wasn’t really what I was hoping for. Ryan Berry pitched well and was promoted but the other four were just average and no one was throwing as hard as they used to. Bobby Bundy has impressed this year at Frederick while also bringing his velocity back up to as advertised.

To get to mime question, who will be in the starting rotation next year? Obvious choices would have to be Dylan Bundy, Parker Bridwell and Mike Wright but who will be the fourth and fifth starters? Will we push some of our young high upside arms (Vader, Esquivel, Baker, and Rodriguez) or will Bywater, Taylor, Simon and Coffey be given the spots? If we decide to go with the high upside arms, Delmarva could be a must see every night next year.
Aaron
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

Re: 2012 Delmarva Rotation

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 13th, 2011, 1:52 pm

Aaron wrote:To get to mime question, who will be in the starting rotation next year? Obvious choices would have to be Dylan Bundy, Parker Bridwell and Mike Wright but who will be the fourth and fifth starters? Will we push some of our young high upside arms (Vader, Esquivel, Baker, and Rodriguez) or will Bywater, Taylor, Simon and Coffey be given the spots? If we decide to go with the high upside arms, Delmarva could be a must see every night next year.

You nailed it with Bridwell, Wright and Bundy; they are pretty much locks for the Delmarva rotation. If the Orioles wanted to move Wright through the system quickly they may just send him to Delmarva or Frederick's bullpen, but I believe the plan is to use him as a starter. Baker should be with Delmarva as well so that's four spots. I'd like to see Bywater take the last spot in Delmarva's rotation, but it's really a toss up.

I think you will see Vader, Esquivel and Rodriguez with Aberdeen next year. Maybe Rodriguez goes to Delmarva, but I think all three are pretty safe bets for Aberdeen.

With all of the college arms coming in from the 2011 draft, I think a lot of them will be used as relievers next year. There's simply not enough spots to use them all as starters.

The rotations could look something like this:

Frederick: Tim Berry, Jarret Martin, Matt Hobgood, Jesse Beal, Luis Noel
Delmarva: Dylan Bundy, Mike Wright, Parker Bridwell, David Baker, Matt Bywater
Aberdeen: Eduardo Rodriguez, Jaime Esquivel, Sebastian Vader, Miguel Chalas, Cameron Coffey

Jake Cowan should be on there somewhere as well.
2011 draftees that may be forced to bullpen: Kyle Simon, Matt Taylor, Trent Howard, Devin Jones, Tyler Wilson.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by Don » July 13th, 2011, 2:01 pm

If Bundy is signed at the last minute, I expect him to start in one of three location, extended spring training, GCL, or Aberdeen. After that stint, Frederick is the logical stop. He simply would need to build the arm, but his abilities would be better served facing the largely college ranks of Frederick. I would put in that program in 2012. 2013 would start out at Frederick with a Bowie promotion sometime over the season. In 2014, he would start out at Bowie and enter the jump to MLB/AAA conversation. It largely depends on his contact. If he has an MLB contract, he will be on the short path.

Parker Bridwell is likely going to Frederick next season. I expect Mike Wright and David Baker to join him as Drake, Morneau, and Bundy are likely promoted.

I think the rotation at this time would be Jarret Martin or Tim Berry (toss up start to Delmarva or Frederick) Jaime Esquivel, Sebastian Vader, Eduardo Rodriguez, and Cameron Coffey (depends on off-season conditioning).

It is very possible that a great deal of the players mentioned in this thread go back to Aberdeen or hit a tougher short season ball such as Esquivel, Coffey, Rodriguez. The Orioles have a log jam in the lower levels and injuries have cut into timelines. I think the picture gets more clear in September and spring training. I will be down in Florida a great deal in Feburary and March, so I will keep you posted, and plan to pop my head over to the complex from time to time.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by Don » July 13th, 2011, 2:07 pm

Jordan If Dylan has an MLB contract, I do not see the timeline start out at Delmarva. A short-season with high A promotion taste is logical and path for most MLB contract pitchers. High A to AA in season 2, and AA to somewhere in season 3.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 13th, 2011, 2:09 pm

Don wrote:Jordan If Dylan has an MLB contract, I do not see the timeline start out at Delmarva. A short-season with high A promotion taste is logical and path for most MLB contract pitchers. High A to AA in season 2, and AA to somewhere in season 3.

Do you think he's getting a big league contract? I don't think Taillon got one and I expect to see similar deals.

But if he does get a big league deal you are probably right.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Aaron » July 13th, 2011, 2:14 pm

I hope that the Orioles learned their lesson with Adam Loewen, you can't give high schoolers major league contracts. It puts way too much pressure on them.
Aaron
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #7 by Don » July 13th, 2011, 2:38 pm

It is why I have said give him 8 million to keep the thoughts of MLB contract off the table. It is higher than Beckett and Tallion and it saves everyone from rushing him. If he gets 5 to 6.5 million, it will have MLB contract attached to it.

I throw more dollars now to keep his service clock down and cheap. He would not make even a 1/4 of that amount until his 3rd season in the majors. It is a fair and wise deal for both parties, I think his camp would agree.

Geez, where do I sign up for GM of the Orioles?
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by BuckMagic » July 13th, 2011, 3:59 pm

Don wrote:Parker Bridwell is likely going to Frederick next season. I expect Mike Wright and David Baker to join him as Drake, Morneau, and Bundy are likely promoted.

Do you mean he will open the season with them or just make it there at some point?
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #9 by Shorebirdfan » July 14th, 2011, 8:18 pm

Don wrote:Geez, where do I sign up for GM of the Orioles?

You've got my vote. Even more so if you could promise me a couple months watching Dylan on Delmarva.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 15th, 2011, 10:21 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:
Don wrote:Geez, where do I sign up for GM of the Orioles?

You've got my vote. Even more so if you could promise me a couple months watching Dylan on Delmarva.

I know Don disagrees, but I still see no way Dylan is going to Frederick when he debuts. You should see him in a Shorebirds uniform.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by ofahn » July 16th, 2011, 11:23 am

I could see Dylan OPENING next season with Frederick IF he gets at least four starts with Delmarva this year and they go well; however, I'm skeptical that he will sign early enough to make that happen.

Maybe they can convince him that the offer they're making isn't going to change at the midnight deadline and he will want to get started ASAP so he can catch his brother in the system. With an early enough start in the minors both Bundy's have a chance to be on the ML roster in 2013.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #12 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 16th, 2011, 9:21 pm

ofahn wrote:I could see Dylan OPENING next season with Frederick IF he gets at least four starts with Delmarva this year and they go well; however, I'm skeptical that he will sign early enough to make that happen.

Maybe they can convince him that the offer they're making isn't going to change at the midnight deadline and he will want to get started ASAP so he can catch his brother in the system. With an early enough start in the minors both Bundy's have a chance to be on the ML roster in 2013.

He'll end up signing at the same time Machado did last year, which was 11:59 PM on August 14.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Minor Leagues