Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

"Nothing of Value in Car"

"Nothing of Value in Car"

PostPost #1 by docjj » July 11th, 2011, 8:22 pm

I remember walking in downtown Manhattan during the early nineties. Every car parked along the side of the road had a handwritten note on the windshield or driver's window "Nothing of Value in Car". This was supposed to deter smash-and-grab thievery of stereos and such.

My brother suggested yesterday that the Orioles trade off anyone of value to try to acquire young prospects/talent. He suggested we try to move Markakis (and his ludicrous contract), Guthrie, Guerrero, Scott, among others.

I looked at him and said "Nothing of Value in Car".
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: "Nothing of Value in Car"

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 12th, 2011, 6:10 pm

docjj wrote:My brother suggested yesterday that the Orioles trade off anyone of value to try to acquire young prospects/talent. He suggested we try to move Markakis (and his ludicrous contract), Guthrie, Guerrero, Scott, among others.

I looked at him and said "Nothing of Value in Car".

Markakis isn't going anywhere. Scott hasn't performed enough to get anything significant in a trade. Guerrero & Lee would provide negative value to the team that trades for them.

Guthrie could be moved. Hardy could be moved and would probably return an impressive. Koji could probably fetch a solid prospect. That's about it though.

I wouldn't say there is "Nothing of Value in Car".
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by DougDE » July 13th, 2011, 1:44 pm

I saw a Phillies blog, think it was called BrotherlyGlove, it was linked at MLBTradeRumors, that was talking about how the Phillies dont have a lot of room in their budget but they need a good middle reliever and they could fit a guy like Koji in $ wise. It was quite a good write up with numbers showing how over they last year and a half Koji's been one of the best relievers in the game, especially WAR wise. Wish I had the link but it was a couple days ago and I dont have time to look. But anyway I'd love to see them get a solid B/B+ prospect for him
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 13th, 2011, 2:16 pm

DougDE wrote:I saw a Phillies blog, think it was called BrotherlyGlove, it was linked at MLBTradeRumors, that was talking about how the Phillies dont have a lot of room in their budget but they need a good middle reliever and they could fit a guy like Koji in $ wise. It was quite a good write up with numbers showing how over they last year and a half Koji's been one of the best relievers in the game, especially WAR wise. Wish I had the link but it was a couple days ago and I dont have time to look. But anyway I'd love to see them get a solid B/B+ prospect for him

Here's the link: http://www.brotherlyglove.com/2011/07/0 ... llpen-arm/

I think a B/B- prospect is a possibility. They won't be getting Jarred Cosart, Trevor May, Sebastian Valle, Brody Colvin or Jonathan Singleton, but I think they could grab Dominigo Santana, Jonathan Pettibone, Julio Rodriguez, Jiwan James or Jesse Bidle .
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 14th, 2011, 1:27 pm

Add the Reds to the list of teams who are looking for a reliever: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/07/r ... help-.html

Not sure who I'd want from them. Maybe Kyle Lotzkar.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Don » July 14th, 2011, 2:37 pm

For Koji....

If I talked to the Reds, I want Ronald Torreyes and Daniel Corcino. Look past size, these guys show the good for roles in the future long term, way under the radar types. I would also do Torreyes and PTBNL (try to get Drew Cisco).

Dealing with Phillies, Julio Rodriguez or Matt Way and PTBNL (Mario Hollands or Bryan Morgado)
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 14th, 2011, 3:40 pm

Don wrote:For Koji....

If I talked to the Reds, I want Ronald Torreyes and Daniel Corcino. Look past size, these guys show the good for roles in the future long term, way under the radar types. I would also do Torreyes and PTBNL (try to get Drew Cisco).

Dealing with Phillies, Julio Rodriguez or Matt Way and PTBNL (Mario Hollands or Bryan Morgado)

Do you think Corcino can hold up as a starter long term?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Don » July 14th, 2011, 3:54 pm

He has the stuff to repeat the lineup more than once and I like his ability with the swing and miss. The public perception of under 6 ft guys, might push him to the bullpen. Heck, he would come here and be in my top five RHP from day one.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #9 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 14th, 2011, 4:19 pm

Jon Heyman wrote:Orioles getting calls on hardy, reynolds, markakis and Jones. Hope to sign jj, but if can't, he works for contenders (sf?)

http://twitter.com/#!/SI_JonHeyman/stat ... 7333682176
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Rising O's » July 14th, 2011, 4:36 pm

Calls for Hardy might be too good to pass up. Just shoot for 2014 Andy.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #11 by LukeScottsShotgun » July 14th, 2011, 10:27 pm

If trading someone can net us prospects who can help improve our organizational depth, do it. The only untouchables are Wieters, Britton, and Matusz. I'd prefer we not move Jones, but if he's going to land at least 2-3 great prospects and help improve this team in the long run, do it. I'd definitely listen on Markakis.
Baltimore! BUCK YEAH! Coming into save the MOTHER BUCKING day yeah!

http://flavadave10.wordpress.com
LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #12 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 15th, 2011, 4:19 pm

LukeScottsShotgun wrote:If trading someone can net us prospects who can help improve our organizational depth, do it. The only untouchables are Wieters, Britton, and Matusz. I'd prefer we not move Jones, but if he's going to land at least 2-3 great prospects and help improve this team in the long run, do it. I'd definitely listen on Markakis.

The problem with listening to offers with Markakis is if you're going to trade him, why do it when his value is as low as it's ever been?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 15th, 2011, 4:20 pm

Buster Olney wrote:Orioles and J.J. Hardy making progress on a three-year deal that could be in the range of $21 million-$25 million.

http://twitter.com/#!/Buster_ESPN/statu ... 7052265472
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by LukeScottsShotgun » July 16th, 2011, 12:19 pm

Jordan wrote:
LukeScottsShotgun wrote:If trading someone can net us prospects who can help improve our organizational depth, do it. The only untouchables are Wieters, Britton, and Matusz. I'd prefer we not move Jones, but if he's going to land at least 2-3 great prospects and help improve this team in the long run, do it. I'd definitely listen on Markakis.

The problem with listening to offers with Markakis is if you're going to trade him, why do it when his value is as low as it's ever been?

Sometimes you have to accept that you made a mistake. I love Kakes, but if we could get a decent package for him, I'd jump on it immediately.
Baltimore! BUCK YEAH! Coming into save the MOTHER BUCKING day yeah!

http://flavadave10.wordpress.com
LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Return to Baltimore Orioles