Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

why has Machado stopped hitting?

why has Machado stopped hitting?

PostPost #1 by docjj » July 5th, 2011, 3:20 pm

Just a prolonged slump? or something else?

.140 is starting to worry me.... Can High-A really be that much harder to hit than low-A?
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: why has Machado stopped hitting?

PostPost #2 by Shorebirdfan » July 5th, 2011, 7:14 pm

Actually he hit .188 in the 14 games at Low A after returning from injury. It certainly takes time after coming back from any injury to get your timing back, and I would certainly bet even more so when your 18 and probably never missed tiem in your life due to an injury. Willing to bet it is nothing "long term" but still feel strongly they should have left him at Low A until it was worked out. I don't like that the O's rush these young kids.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 5th, 2011, 11:06 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:Actually he hit .188 in the 14 games at Low A after returning from injury. It certainly takes time after coming back from any injury to get your timing back, and I would certainly bet even more so when your 18 and probably never missed tiem in your life due to an injury. Willing to bet it is nothing "long term" but still feel strongly they should have left him at Low A until it was worked out. I don't like that the O's rush these young kids.

Also has .200 BABIP.

As soon as the beat writers announced he'd be bumped to Frederick I was unsure of why the O's would so in the middle of a cold streak. I asked followers what they thought and all said they felt he earned the promotion and that he's advanced enough to handle High-A. And while I think that's true he was struggling at Delmarva as you said.

Now we need to see how he adjusts.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #4 by DougDE » July 6th, 2011, 1:33 am

I also think some more time at Delmarva couldnt have hurt. But having said that, it's a slump. It happens in baseball. Part of the minors is about learning how to deal with them and get out of them. I'm not worried about him
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #5 by Don » July 6th, 2011, 10:31 am

In his defense, Tyler Townsend is not lighting the world on fire. It means that guys may not exactly pitch to him.

He did have two hard hits that were un-lucky and he is playing against grown men. The class of pitching night in and night out have two or three average offerings for the level or better. These guys make less mistakes and if they do, most are decent enough to work them out quickly. Manny is adjusting to the change up and tough time getting square on it. He is still fouling off more than in play, but you see the foundation. No way I am worried about this kid one bit at this time.

The dry spell bug is effecting Schoop as well. If Manny was a bit more repsonsive, maybe Schoop gets a few more fastballs or it floats in the zone. Both of these guys show a lot of promise and still need to slightly compact the swing at times. Neither have logged enough innings or at bats in general, much less the Sally League to be alarmed.

You need to remember, even the best need at least 500 at bats in the minors before they finally improve. Some guys need 750-1000. It is good to struggle in the minors, you learn to make constant adjustments to your game. You can never rest on your approach at the plate or on the mound. Only by constantly tweaking your game, do you stay ahead of the field and continue your growth as a ballplayer.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #6 by DougDE » July 6th, 2011, 10:47 pm

While I'm on strike from watching the Orioles, I am going to go catch the Keys in Wilmington next weekend. Cant wait to see Machado and Schoop for the first time,and hopefully Bundy
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 7th, 2011, 11:54 pm

Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #8 by Don » July 8th, 2011, 9:55 am

I thought I had wrote in the forum, but he simpy needs to improve his pitch selection. He is swinging at too many pitchers, pitches. This happens to everyone. Once he stops pressing and allows the game to come to him, his walks will increase and his hitting should improve.

As Dan reported last night, he went 1-1 with a double to go with three walks. These are the types of games I expect from him at this time. He should adjust into a .300+ hitter in the minors. Still expect a .300 and 20 homerun type player and that is outstanding numbers for a shortstop.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Return to Minor Leagues