Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Looking back...off season to midway point

Looking back...off season to midway point

PostPost #1 by Don » July 1st, 2011, 8:33 am

A group of us had some thoughts on players that could have a breakout performance this past off-season. I wanted to take a bit and look back on my predictions.

Improving position players:
Hoes, Schoop, Joesph, Webb, Dalles

Wildcard: Narron

Improving Arms:
Bundy, Wirsch, Bridwell, Vader, Martin

Wildcard: Esquivel


Hoes is not jumping on the national radar, but he has improved at Bowie enough to be in consideration long term. The team has started to place him in multiple defense positions to maximize his value.

Schoop has gone from unknown to the futures all star game, enough said.

Caleb was announced as an All-Star catcher this season. Long term, I do not see a starting catcher, but he could be a valuable backup for the Orioles.

Webb: Well you can not hit all your picks. He is struggling at Delmarva and the hit tool that oozes is still in development stage.

Dalles: Inc. He was promoted, but his limited action so far this season gives little to read.

Narron: He has just started his short season stint. I will be watching him soon live to get a read on his refinements at the plate, but everything is still too early with him.

Bundy: He is currently the best arm signed in this organization and the off-season conditioning has paid dividends.

Wirsh: Short season guy this year, still a lot of projection and two starts is too small of sample size.

Bridwell: Has one more start than Wirsh, but swing and miss stuff is in his repitore.

Vader: Down in GCL and a lot of projection in the tall slender pitcher.

Esquivel: Can be flat out un-hittable with stuff, needs to ring in command. In GCL and 0.00 era.
User avatar
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 699
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 25

Re: Looking back...off season to midway point

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 1st, 2011, 2:35 pm

Don wrote:Hoes is not jumping on the national radar, but he has improved at Bowie enough to be in consideration long term. The team has started to place him in multiple defense positions to maximize his value.

I still think Hoes has the bat speed to develop some solid power. Not sure why the moved him to the OF as I thought he was really improving at 2B.

Don wrote:Caleb was announced as an All-Star catcher this season. Long term, I do not see a starting catcher, but he could be a valuable backup for the Orioles.

If he improves his throwing a bit more he should become a solid backup who can swing the stick.

Don wrote:Webb: Well you can not hit all your picks. He is struggling at Delmarva and the hit tool that oozes is still in development stage.

Would love to hear your thoughts on his swing. Some video here: http://orioles-nation.com/players/brenden-webb/

Don wrote:Dalles: Inc. He was promoted, but his limited action so far this season gives little to read.

Not expecting him to hit much but pitchers love throwing to him and he calls a real good game. Right there with Brian Ward for best defensive catcher in the system aside from Wieters.

Don wrote:Wirsh: Short season guy this year, still a lot of projection and two starts is too small of sample size.

Outstanding stuff but too many walks; apparently he was the same way in ST and extended ST. Curveball is now reportedly better than his changeup.

Don wrote:Vader: Down in GCL and a lot of projection in the tall slender pitcher.

Very high on this kid. Scout in GCL graded his fastball as future plus pitch, even though it's only 88-91 mph right now. Tons of room to fill out.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57





Return to Minor Leagues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

cron