Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Extend or trade J.J. Hardy?

Extend or trade J.J. Hardy?

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 28th, 2011, 11:14 pm

The trade deadline is in less than one month and J.J. Hardy is playing like an all-star shortstop. The O's should be able to pull in a nice package for their SS at the deadline if they decide pull the trigger.

Dave Cameron of Fangraphs mentioned the Reds as potential suitors for Hardy and Yonder Alonso or Zack Cozart as the return. I would pull the trigger in a second if the O's could bring in those two for Hardy.

But on the other hand the O's do finally have a shortstop who can swing the stick and play defense. If the team can work out the right contract, I wouldn't be opposed to keeping Hardy for the future.

If you're the O's do you deal Hardy or work out an extension?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Extend or trade J.J. Hardy?

PostPost #2 by Shorebirdfan » June 28th, 2011, 11:24 pm

Someone would really need to overwhelm me in order to trade Hardy. Hey JJ be ready to slide over to 2B when Manny is ready.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #3 by slob » June 28th, 2011, 11:25 pm

Definitely pull this trigger. They're major league ready.
slob
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 28th, 2011, 11:29 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:Someone would really need to overwhelm me in order to trade Hardy. Hey JJ be ready to slide over to 2B when Manny is ready.

Problem is what do you do with Roberts if Hardy moves to second?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Don » June 29th, 2011, 10:23 am

I do not see Manny Machado in the majors in 2013, maybe a late September call up at best. He is still a young man learning the ropes and while tools are oozing in all directions, he still needs to get a feel for quality pitching and learn to constantly adjust his approach at the plate.

I think at this stage, Manny is suitable for shortstop. He shows a solid arm and just enough range to stay at short, but could an inch or two in growth and another 10 pounds change, it is certainly posssible.

I would keep Hardy around, but it is a two way street. He is not the model of 162 every day player, and like Roberts, he could miss time in the tub. Either option has their pitfalls, but they did trade away solid bullpen arms and you do not want to do it with a one year rental.

The Orioles cannot play as if his type A status brings back two comp picks because this is the last season of the 2006 labor deal. Things could completely change the landscape of how free agency and compensation work. They have to find some middle ground for a 2-3-4 year deal depending on their feel for him as a short term or long term option with players waiting in the wing, or they have to trade him for pieces that can fill his hole and other needs on the future 25 man roster. The last opiton is to roll the dice and either get two picks, or take the chance they would have nothing in return for a one year rental.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #6 by JustinUtah » June 29th, 2011, 12:52 pm

In my opinion you keep him. He is your long term answer at short stop. He is a franchise type player. I usually like trades with top end prospects. But, I believe the O's have a good young core ballplayers. Hardy plays a premium postition at a high level. He needs a contract that takes him into his mid thirties.

B-rob's career is over. We need to face the facts and move on.

Machado will have to move to second if he actually makes it to the majors, which I believe he will.
JustinUtah
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #7 by Shorebirdfan » June 29th, 2011, 8:16 pm

Jordan wrote:
Shorebirdfan wrote:Someone would really need to overwhelm me in order to trade Hardy. Hey JJ be ready to slide over to 2B when Manny is ready.

I have been a firm believer that Roberts is done and he has done little to changevendor to my mind. I'd move him for a beer vendor to be named later.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #8 by ofahn » June 30th, 2011, 12:38 pm

JustinUtah wrote:In my opinion you keep him. He is your long term answer at short stop. He is a franchise type player. I usually like trades with top end prospects. But, I believe the O's have a good young core ballplayers. Hardy plays a premium postition at a high level. He needs a contract that takes him into his mid thirties.

Machado will have to move to second if he actually makes it to the majors, which I believe he will.

I think you'll find that most scouts and talent evaluators see any position change by Machado to be 3B, not 2B, because of body size and type.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #9 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 30th, 2011, 10:20 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:
Jordan wrote:

I have been a firm believer that Roberts is done and he has done little to changevendor to my mind. I'd move him for a beer vendor to be named later.

No team would trade for him so their only real option would be to have him on the bench. It's silly to have him there.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 30th, 2011, 10:21 pm

ofahn wrote:
JustinUtah wrote:In my opinion you keep him. He is your long term answer at short stop. He is a franchise type player. I usually like trades with top end prospects. But, I believe the O's have a good young core ballplayers. Hardy plays a premium postition at a high level. He needs a contract that takes him into his mid thirties.

I think you'll find that most scouts and talent evaluators see any position change by Machado to be 3B, not 2B, because of body size and type.

That's correct. His only real problem at SS is range, but otherwise he's a plus defender. He'd be above-average at third no doubt.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by ofahn » July 1st, 2011, 1:07 pm

Jordan wrote:
ofahn wrote:

That's correct. His only real problem at SS is range, but otherwise he's a plus defender. He'd be above-average at third no doubt.

If it was your decision, at what level would you sort out Machado, Schoop, and Hoes so they can build innings at their permanent positions AND how would you see the signings of Delmonico and Esposito affecting those position decisions?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #12 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 1st, 2011, 2:25 pm

ofahn wrote:If it was your decision, at what level would you sort out Machado, Schoop, and Hoes so they can build innings at their permanent positions AND how would you see the signings of Delmonico and Esposito affecting those position decisions?

I'd have Machado and Schoop at Delmarva for at least 3/4 of this season playing SS and 3B, respectively. I'd have Givens at 2B at Delmarva as I don't think he'll stick at SS.

I would have had Hoes at Bowie to open 2011 playing 2B. I think the reason for his struggles at Frederick this year were simply to due to the fact that he was expecting to open with the Baysox. I think his walk rate came down at Frederick because he was trying to do too much in order to earn a promotion to Bowie. Now that he's at Bowie you can see that his walk rate is right back up.

I'd have Delmonico playing 3B at Aberdeen next season and Esposito playing 3B at Delmarva next year. That's if Delmonico signs.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 1st, 2011, 2:25 pm

Back to Hardy I think I would look into trading him to the Braves and looking at Freddie Freeman as part of the return.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Rising O's » July 1st, 2011, 5:22 pm

MLBtraderumors has him currently listed as a type A free agent. The Orioles are in a win win situation with Hardy and that increases his value. Sure you'd like to sign him but I imagine he will get a 3 year deal on the open market, maybe more given his position and defense. Current rumors keep saying 2 years from the Orioles (shockingly under market) and I doubt that will get it done. I think the Orioles need some more near ready ML talent to keep a guy like Jones in Baltimore. If part of the best return you can get is a 2nd baseman so be it. Roberts can always DH, which might keep him healthier.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #15 by A_K » July 1st, 2011, 6:37 pm

Good god, we could get Freamon for a pending free agent with a severe injury history? Where do I sign?!
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles