Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

GCL Thread

GCL Thread

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 24th, 2011, 4:25 pm

I'll be posting notes here during games. Feel free to post any questions you may have about the players. Post with notes from today's game coming shortly...
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: GCL Thread

PostPost #2 by Shorebirdfan » June 24th, 2011, 5:23 pm

IS today your first day down there? I was really surprised yesterday when I saw that Luis Bernardo has been made a pithcer (I know he is not a prospect, but he is a personal favorite of mine). I know he can't hit a lick, and has a great arm so on the surface it makes snese. Really curious what he is putting on the radar gun.

I am glad to see the club entertain the idea of converting someone from the field to a pitcher, I still believe it is where Givens ends up.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 24th, 2011, 5:50 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:IS today your first day down there? I was really surprised yesterday when I saw that Luis Bernardo has been made a pithcer (I know he is not a prospect, but he is a personal favorite of mine). I know he can't hit a lick, and has a great arm so on the surface it makes snese. Really curious what he is putting on the radar gun.

I am glad to see the club entertain the idea of converting someone from the field to a pitcher, I still believe it is where Givens ends up.

Today was my first day here. I believe Bernardo hit 92 mph yesterday, but I'll double check on Monday.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 24th, 2011, 5:52 pm

Here are notes from today's game: http://orioles-nation.com/2011/06/24/gcl-notes-day-one-rays-orioles/

I'll have video of all of these guys sometime next week.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 24th, 2011, 10:09 pm

Two links:
- Matt Hobgood video
- Glynn Davis video
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Rising O's » June 25th, 2011, 12:02 pm

Hobgood looks to be in good shape. I don't think he'll ever look the part of an athlete because of his hips but it looks like he moves well. I'm looking forward to seeing him progress this summer.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #7 by mcpd » June 25th, 2011, 2:06 pm

Vader has had a couple of good outings in a row. Did you see him today and what kind of stuff does he have?
mcpd
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 25th, 2011, 2:50 pm

Rising O's wrote:Hobgood looks to be in good shape. I don't think he'll ever look the part of an athlete because of his hips but it looks like he moves well. I'm looking forward to seeing him progress this summer.

He's coming a long way physically since 2010, for sure. Hopefully he can add a few ticks and make his way to Delmarva in a couple of weeks.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 25th, 2011, 2:52 pm

mcpd wrote:Vader has had a couple of good outings in a row. Did you see him today and what kind of stuff does he have?

I wasn't at the game today, but I saw Vader here last year. He won't overpower you with a 87-91 mph fastball, but his breaking ball is solid and has some potential. He may have added a few ticks since last season, so I'll check up on his velocity today when I go to the game on Monday. He's projectable so I could see him sitting 89-93 mph a few years down the line.

A few Vader links:
- Video: http://orioles-nation.com/2010/08/26/ne ... ian-vader/
- Top prospect writeup: http://orioles-nation.com/2011/01/01/on ... ian-vader/
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 26th, 2011, 10:31 pm

Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 27th, 2011, 1:05 am

Matt Bywater video: http://orioles-nation.com/2011/06/26/ma ... l-6242011/

I'll be at tomorrow's game and Cameron Coffey is set to start. Will have video of him up on the site after the game.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 28th, 2011, 11:41 pm

Today's GCL game was postponed so I will be getting my first look at Jaime Esquivel tomorrow. Eduardo Rodriguez was the scheduled starter so unfortunately he's probably pushed back to Friday. If I'm lucky they use Rodriguez in relief.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by mcpd » June 30th, 2011, 3:08 pm

Rodriguez pitched today how did he look . Also where do you think Hobgood and Berry go after gcl? You think they both will end up in Frederick.
mcpd
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #14 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 30th, 2011, 10:19 pm

mcpd wrote:Rodriguez pitched today how did he look . Also where do you think Hobgood and Berry go after gcl? You think they both will end up in Frederick.

I returned home today so I wasn't at the game.

I'd imagine Hobgood goes back to Delmarva and Berry goes to Frederick, but it would not surprise me to see Berry go to Bowie.

Here's Rodriguez's profile: http://orioles-nation.com/players/eduardo-rodriguez/
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Minor Leagues