Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

2011 Orioles Draft Recap

2011 Orioles Draft Recap

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 13th, 2011, 1:50 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/2011/06/13/20 ... aft-recap/

By: Dan Sanchez

After selecting a fire-balling high school pitcher with his first round selection, Joe Jordan shifted the focus to college arms, with a few bats mixed in.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: 2011 Orioles Draft Recap

PostPost #2 by Don » June 13th, 2011, 2:10 pm

Just some of my thoughts on this draft

A.
Not every pick is destined to become a star, you want to fill spaces with guys that can help in their own unique fashion, guys that bring another dimension to a winning club. The filled a fair number of questions with at least 5 bullpen arms in the first ten rounds. If you can get one or two of these guys to at least fill middle relief, it closes the need to bring in expensive relief pitching that is a crap shoot for success. Wright can move through the system quickly and power arms are always in demand. Devin Jones has live stuff and could be a solid bullpen arm. Simon, Howard, Wilson all have things that could make them effective relief pitcher and enhance their value to the club.

B.
They took some nice guys in later rounds, if signed, could be guys that make a nice dent into the system. Nick Delmonico is on the tip of every tongue and you can read about him in other spots. I think there are three players to really watch for as keys to success at this time. Ryan Meyer has a very high ceiling, potentially. He may not have the polish that you see from other kids in his area, but I think he could turn into a good ball player. Zach Davies is a short, frail kid that throws smoke out of his hand. He is a must guy to bring into the fold and I like him a lot. Bradley Roney has a strong chance to make some noise and one of my under the radar top 200 picks that slipped off a lot of teams radar screens.

C.
They went into this draft trying to infuse the upper ranks with prospects. The lower levels are littered with high potential arms in the making with the Shorebirds, Ironbirds, and Keys have a few quality prospects. The team needed to bring along a few short term guys to bridge the gap and did so with a few selections. You never know how guys pan out and Dan Klein was not seen as much in the national spotlight, but I know how many fans want to see him healthy in Baltimore’s bullpen now.

D.
The Orioles drafted some power potential college bats, and power bats into the system. Espositio needs refinement; some slight tweaking of plate approach and he could be a great shot in the arm offensively at third. Coats has some issues, but that is why he dropped. He still mashes it for contact and more drilling to compact the swing and plate discipline could vault him up the ladder quickly. Adam Matthews in the 26th round is simply nuts. Watch him a few minutes and when completely healthy, he is a power/speed guy and a steal at that point in the draft. You really never no know how Johnny Ruettiger plays out. People did not think much of Trent Mummey and I bet he is making a few teams wish they went in his direction.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #3 by BuckMagic » June 22nd, 2011, 6:53 pm

Anyone see Esposito's play in the CWS.....easily One of the best defensive stops I have seen.
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 15th, 2011, 7:31 pm

We will have an updated version of this at 12:01 AM that includes scouting reports for every single signed pick.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Return to MLB Draft