Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Mark Reynolds errors

Mark Reynolds errors

PostPost #1 by ljmillar22 » June 13th, 2011, 7:39 am

Was looking through the MLB stats for fielding percentage and errors for every day third baseman in the american league and Reynolds has made 14 errors which is five more than any other third baseman. I know at the moment he is hitting well but when his hitting dries up is he still worth having in the lineup everyday. Josh Bell is hitting well at AAA and his defense is ok, when do we decide to bring him up?
ljmillar22
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Mark Reynolds errors

PostPost #2 by ofahn » June 13th, 2011, 11:00 am

An objective evaluation of Reynold's and Bell's defensive abilities would show that there's is NOT a significant difference between them.

At least Reynolds has shown an ability to produce with the bat at the ML level which is something that Bell hasn't.

We REALLY need to sign all of the legitimate talent from this year's draft so that we have better options in the future.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by DougDE » June 13th, 2011, 3:02 pm

I agree with ofahn. Bell's defense wasnt all that. Reynolds isnt near the top of the list of problems on this team in my opinion. He is exactly what I thought we were getting. And compared to what our other options seem to have been this offseason, I wanted him and still do
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #4 by Don » June 20th, 2011, 10:22 am

Mark Reynolds defense is not an albatross. He will make some fantastic grabs like the slide step and dive line drive over the weekend. He will pick it routinely. The one issue I have from him is the rush tendencies while trying to throw the ball. He takes some wasted steps when setting up to throw to first base. It seems to rush him through and the results are erratic throws.

His footwork while throwing needs to be cleaned up, but overall I see the seesaw up and down game defensively. He is not a poor defensive player, he simply needs to put more time in on the craft and work on extensively on his footwork.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by BuckMagic » June 22nd, 2011, 6:54 pm

No that he's starting to hit the defense is becoming a little more acceptable. I just don't understand how UZR had him as average on defense last year, yet this year he is -14ish.
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #6 by Don » June 22nd, 2011, 8:03 pm

That is in part because he shows a solid glove and decent range. Why people question his defense is the lack of footwork and throwing the ball. Overall, it makes him an average defender. I can live with it, if he can hit close to the numbers he has placed so far this season...
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Return to Baltimore Orioles