Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Machado vs Harper

Machado vs Harper

PostPost #1 by Shorebirdfan » June 9th, 2011, 5:52 am

First match up of the season for two of the top prospects in all of baseball happens tonight at Perdue Stadium. As everyone has most likely seen Harper has been in the news recently for "blowing a kiss" to a pitcher for Greensboro the other night after blasting another HR. Sure would be nice to see a good crowd out on a Thursday for this event.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

Re: Machado vs Harper

PostPost #2 by Mike » June 10th, 2011, 8:55 am

Manuel - 1, Kissy Face - 0
Mike
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 10th, 2011, 10:12 pm

Mike wrote:Manuel - 1, Kissy Face - 0

Harper 1, Machado 1

Harper goes 2 for 5 with a run & 2 strikeouts, while Machado goes 1 for 5 with a strikeout.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #4 by Shorebirdfan » June 10th, 2011, 10:39 pm

Watching them up close the last two nights, funny how two kids who are so talented and have so much in common can at the same time be so different. Both play at 100% all the time. They never pass on running out a simple grounder like they can beat it out. They have never seen a ball hit that they don't feel they can get to. Its really amazing to watch that drive that separates them from other toolsy kids. At the same time, their approach seems very different. Harper comes off very cocky, full of himself. He is quick to argue a call, give a dirty look to his hitting coach and appear to become frustrated with his teammates when they fail to execute. Machado on the other hand seems to always have a smile and be enjoying himself. He takes a leadership role on the field at 18, while Harper seems to avoid interaction with others. I feel that both will have long exceptional careers in MLB, but I feel that both will be looked at very differently in the public eye.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #5 by ofahn » June 12th, 2011, 8:23 am

Shorebirdfan wrote:Watching them up close the last two nights, funny how two kids who are so talented and have so much in common can at the same time be so different. Both play at 100% all the time. They never pass on running out a simple grounder like they can beat it out. They have never seen a ball hit that they don't feel they can get to. Its really amazing to watch that drive that separates them from other toolsy kids. At the same time, their approach seems very different. Harper comes off very cocky, full of himself. He is quick to argue a call, give a dirty look to his hitting coach and appear to become frustrated with his teammates when they fail to execute. Machado on the other hand seems to always have a smile and be enjoying himself. He takes a leadership role on the field at 18, while Harper seems to avoid interaction with others. I feel that both will have long exceptional careers in MLB, but I feel that both will be looked at very differently in the public eye.

I realize that Harper has plenty of time to clean up his act but he's beginning to remind me of Barry Bonds. Baseball should be fun but this kid looks like it's an inconvenience for him.

The Nationals should consider forcing a dramatic attitude adjustment on him BEFORE this problem gets out of hand and he becomes the next police blotter headline. If I were Mike Rizzo I would inform him that he won't be promoted from Hagerstown until he grows up and require him to see a sports shrink every day. Having that kid make the daily commute to Baltimore or Washington would give him plenty of time to reflect on his actions and his future.

Harper's behavior is a problem that is only going to get worse if it's not dealt with now.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Return to Minor Leagues