Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Alfredo Simon - Should he be shut down?

Alfredo Simon - Should he be shut down?

PostPost #1 by 2131andBeyond » September 4th, 2010, 9:31 pm

Alfredo Simon has given up a homerun in 5 of his last 8 appearances out of the bullpen. What people don't realize when they see that stat is that he actually gave up at least one homerun in 4 games in a row, then had 3 outings without one, and then just last night gave up another. So it's been rough lately for him, ever since transitioning out of the closer role due to a mixture of factors like poor performances and then solid performances by Koji and others in the role.

Alfredo had TJ surgery prior to the 2009 season, but ended up coming back in under 12 months, making a speedy recovery. His solid numbers early on made O's fans happy that, although doing it in worrisome fashion, they had a guy that could shut the door.

With the recent problems, is it time to shut him down for the year. Can't send him down at this point with Norfolk's season over, but it could be smart to let his arm rest after he has worked a ton this year. With a lot of positives to take out of his time with the O's, I feel there is no reason to push him farther and just throw all of his confidence down the tube. We have Dennis Sarfate, Troy Patton, and even guys like Cla Meredith and Kam Mickolio in the minors that could be used, so there is no issue with lack of arms.

Key question: Would you shut Simon down now or let him stay in the bullpen? And if you keep him in the bullpen, do you limit his innings, or just let it be how it is now?
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Alfredo Simon - Should he be shut down?

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 5th, 2010, 1:09 am

I'm honestly not quite sure what to expect from Simon. Dempsey's Army believes the home runs will continue.

I was never sold on him as a closer. I see him as a 7th inning guy at best.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by 2131andBeyond » September 5th, 2010, 1:24 am

Jordan wrote:I'm honestly not quite sure what to expect from Simon. I was never sold on him as a closer. I see him as a 7th inning guy at best.

I see where you're coming from on that, but truthfully, I saw him as a power pitcher with the stuff to do it when he first came up. When his split fastball is moving and the 4 seamer has the zip behind it, his stuff looked nasty. That's why everybody jumped on board so quickly with him. But, something has obviously changed in his mechanics, and I think that if those kinks can be worked out in the off-season, he could be a nice piece to bolster the future of our bullpen.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by Traveldawg69 » September 11th, 2010, 1:52 am

At the very least, I'd like him to be limited 7th inning, RH batter etc...As much as I loved what Shutdown Sauce accomplished early on, I have to admit I was always concerned about his pitching. He always appeared to me to be on the border of losing control of his FB. His SF-FB was the killer in the right situations but his FB always scared the daylights out of me. jm.02w
Traveldawg69
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 11th, 2010, 8:53 pm

Traveldawg69 wrote:At the very least, I'd like him to be limited 7th inning, RH batter etc...As much as I loved what Shutdown Sauce accomplished early on, I have to admit I was always concerned about his pitching. He always appeared to me to be on the border of losing control of his FB. His SF-FB was the killer in the right situations but his FB always scared the daylights out of me. jm.02w

Agreed. I see him as a 7th inning guy going forward.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #6 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 11th, 2010, 9:28 pm

I see him as a seventh inning guy. Worst case scenario, mop up duty. Regardless, he's the only guy in our pen now who throws hard other than Gonzalez, so we need him around.
Baltimore! BUCK YEAH! Coming into save the MOTHER BUCKING day yeah!

http://flavadave10.wordpress.com
LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #7 by allstar1579 » September 11th, 2010, 9:59 pm

Simon was a non-prospect his entire career until he was forced into a horrible bullpen by injury. You can't really expect him to suddenly be a valuable piece to a good team. Ok in fairness let's recap his history so that it makes more sense...

July 2, 1999: Signed by the Philadelphia Phillies as an amateur free agent.
July 30, 2004: Traded by the Philadelphia Phillies with Ricky Ledee to the San Francisco Giants for Felix Rodriguez.
October 15, 2006: Granted Free Agency.
November 3, 2006: Signed as a Free Agent with the Texas Rangers.
December 7, 2006: Drafted by the Baltimore Orioles from the Texas Rangers in the 2006 rule 5 draft.
December 7, 2006: Traded by the Baltimore Orioles to the Philadelphia Phillies for Adam Donachie (minors) and cash.
March 17, 2007: Returned (earlier draft pick) by the Philadelphia Phillies to the Texas Rangers.
October 29, 2007: Granted Free Agency.
January 10, 2008: Signed as a Free Agent with the Los Angeles Dodgers.
March 30, 2008: Released by the Los Angeles Dodgers.
September 5, 2008: Signed as a Free Agent with the Baltimore Orioles.
November 9, 2009: Granted Free Agency.
December 2, 2009: Signed as a Free Agent with the Baltimore Orioles.

He's just another in the long line of DR baseball players that can throw hard but have no idea how to pitch against this level of competition. Not saying that he can't be useful in a limited role on a bad team, but he should be one of the first people you are looking to replace too.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #8 by Traveldawg69 » September 11th, 2010, 10:16 pm

allstar1579 wrote: Not saying that he can't be useful in a limited role on a bad team, but he should be one of the first people you are looking to replace too.

There is the truth right there! BINGO was his NAMEO!
Traveldawg69
DSL Orioles

PostPost #9 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 11th, 2010, 10:17 pm

allstar1579 wrote:Simon was a non-prospect his entire career until he was forced into a horrible bullpen by injury. You can't really expect him to suddenly be a valuable piece to a good team. Ok in fairness let's recap his history so that it makes more sense...

July 2, 1999: Signed by the Philadelphia Phillies as an amateur free agent.
July 30, 2004: Traded by the Philadelphia Phillies with Ricky Ledee to the San Francisco Giants for Felix Rodriguez.
October 15, 2006: Granted Free Agency.
November 3, 2006: Signed as a Free Agent with the Texas Rangers.
December 7, 2006: Drafted by the Baltimore Orioles from the Texas Rangers in the 2006 rule 5 draft.
December 7, 2006: Traded by the Baltimore Orioles to the Philadelphia Phillies for Adam Donachie (minors) and cash.
March 17, 2007: Returned (earlier draft pick) by the Philadelphia Phillies to the Texas Rangers.
October 29, 2007: Granted Free Agency.
January 10, 2008: Signed as a Free Agent with the Los Angeles Dodgers.
March 30, 2008: Released by the Los Angeles Dodgers.
September 5, 2008: Signed as a Free Agent with the Baltimore Orioles.
November 9, 2009: Granted Free Agency.
December 2, 2009: Signed as a Free Agent with the Baltimore Orioles.

He's just another in the long line of DR baseball players that can throw hard but have no idea how to pitch against this level of competition. Not saying that he can't be useful in a limited role on a bad team, but he should be one of the first people you are looking to replace too.

He's second on my list. First is Matt Albers. At least Simon can throw hard. Albers can't even do that.

LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

PostPost #10 by Traveldawg69 » September 11th, 2010, 10:24 pm

LukeScottsShotgun wrote:
He's second on my list. First is Matt Albers. At least Simon can throw hard. Albers can't even do that.

I am pleased with Phat Albers performance lately. With the proper rest he does throw a lot of ground balls. Having said that I'm only switching the order, Shutdown Sauce is number 1, Albers is number 2.
Traveldawg69
DSL Orioles

PostPost #11 by allstar1579 » September 11th, 2010, 10:31 pm

Traveldawg69 wrote:
LukeScottsShotgun wrote:

I am pleased with Phat Albers performance lately. With the proper rest he does throw a lot of ground balls. Having said that I'm only switching the order, Shutdown Sauce is number 1, Albers is number 2.

Yeah I might have them 1A and 1B. Either way, I would overhaul the BP a good bit using some internal talent if I had the chance. The bullpen is not the place you want to have to invest $10-15m per year, you are better off spending all min. salaries and dumping that money into the draft in the years like this where you know you aren't going to compete.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #12 by DougDE » September 11th, 2010, 10:34 pm

allstar1579 wrote:Simon was a non-prospect his entire career until he was forced into a horrible bullpen by injury. You can't really expect him to suddenly be a valuable piece to a good team.

Actually its worse then that, he was forced into a horrible starting rotation. He actually won a starting spot last year coming out of spring training then promptly tore that ligament in like his 2nd start
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #13 by allstar1579 » September 12th, 2010, 8:40 am

DougDE wrote:
allstar1579 wrote:Simon was a non-prospect his entire career until he was forced into a horrible bullpen by injury. You can't really expect him to suddenly be a valuable piece to a good team.

Actually its worse then that, he was forced into a horrible starting rotation. He actually won a starting spot last year coming out of spring training then promptly tore that ligament in like his 2nd start

Yeah one of the few times I got excited for an injury...that was a horrible decision from the jump.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #14 by LukeScottsShotgun » September 14th, 2010, 9:26 am

Simon needs to spend some quality time with whoever our new pitching coach will be. Cause seriously, if he fixes like one or two things, he could be a heck of a 7th inning guy for us. Just needs to keep his splitter down. When he starts throwing all of his pitches high, that's when he runs into trouble. When he's been able to keep his pitches down, he's been good. I'm on the verge of giving up on him, but he does deserve one last chance to get his act together.

And don't even ask me how Albers gets guys out. I honestly don't know. It's like trying to figure out how Mark Hendrickson struck out the side against the Rays.

LukeScottsShotgun
DSL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles