Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Draft Day 1 Thread

Draft Day 1 Thread

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 6th, 2011, 12:19 am

Post all discussion about draft day 1 here; any rumors, news, links or thoughts you may have should be posted here.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Draft Day 1 Thread

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 6th, 2011, 12:20 am

Also, I will be talking draft at 8:20 AM on @WNST in Baltimore, so stay tuned for that if you're in the area

http://twitter.com/#!/FrankiePiliere/st ... 9902295040

Frankie Piliere, who's a former Texas Rangers scout and currently writes for Scout.com, will be on WNST radio tomorrow morning.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #3 by Don » June 6th, 2011, 12:45 pm

So every Orioles fan is running towards the hills because every draft outlet has them pegged with Archie Bradley, I do not buy what they brew. It is not that there sources are incorrect or they are throwing out informaiton to simply make a trump card. These guys are sometime fed information to get it out in the open.

Knowning Jordan, he should have interest in Archie. I think knowning the area scout and seeing the guys I saw him the stands while attending his game, they are high on Bundy.

Still Orioles fans, I would not be completely upset if any of the top ten outside of Starling are picked. Each show enough flash and baseball skills at this time to be happy having them in your farm system.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by Shorebirdfan » June 6th, 2011, 1:28 pm

I have to say that I would be disappointed with Bradley. For me simple math. I rate Rendon, Cole, Bundy, Hultzen and Bauer higher. If I was picking 6 and ended up with Bradley because these 5 were gone, I'd be OK with that.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #5 by A_K » June 6th, 2011, 1:40 pm

Have to admit that right now I'm one of the reactionary fans that's unhappy about what I'm hearing. I've liked what I've read on Bradley, but he seems pretty raw and quite a ways away from pitching at the major league level. When I look at this system, I see a fairly large volume of high-upside pitchers in the low levels, and very little in terms of top-tier talent that's nearing the higher levels of the system.

But it also sounds like scouts and observers wouldn't be shocked if Bradley turns into the best pitcher in the draft, so I can't say I'd exactly panic over the pick.

Maybe it's just the change of direction at the last minute. I had mostly already started to assume Bundy was part of our farm system.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #6 by Don » June 6th, 2011, 2:53 pm

I think most who follow know my thoughts on who the Orioles should select, but remain somewhat objective at this time. These guys make solid choices and really outside of two very slight reaches, they can find quality players. If Joe Jordan is able to pick without any thoughts on signability and strictly based on his scouting, I have no fear that the Orioles will select a very quality player.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #7 by Rising O's » June 6th, 2011, 5:00 pm

Roch says beat writers are still projecting Bundy.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 6th, 2011, 5:24 pm

Rising O's wrote:Roch says beat writers are still projecting Bundy.

Pleased to hear this.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 6th, 2011, 5:24 pm

Here's the link to this years draft tracker: http://orioles-nation.com/orioles-draft-tracker-2011/

Will end up looking similar to last year's: http://orioles-nation.com/baltimore-ori ... t-tracker/
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Don » June 6th, 2011, 5:31 pm

I laugh that John Hart actually had a job in baseball that long. I mean you are out of your mind to even remotely suggest that Matt Purke has a nice 3/4 delivery. I mean his delivery flat out scares the crap out of me. I like he stuff, move him to the pen to keep his elbow and shoulder intact.
Last edited by Don on June 6th, 2011, 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #11 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 6th, 2011, 5:33 pm

Don wrote:I laugh that Jim Bowden actually had a job in baseball that long. I mean you are out of your mind to even remotely suggest that Matt Purke has a nice 3/4 delivery. I mean his delivery flat out scares the crap out of me. I like he stuff, move him to the pen to keep his elbow and shoulder intact.

I don't think many of the guys doing the pre-draft show on MLB Network know what they're talking about. Would like to see more of Callis and Mayo.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Don » June 6th, 2011, 5:42 pm

meant to inject John Hart, all apologies to Jim Bowden.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #13 by Shorebirdfan » June 6th, 2011, 5:49 pm

Jordan wrote:Here's the link to this years draft tracker: http://orioles-nation.com/orioles-draft-tracker-2011/

Will end up looking similar to last year's: http://orioles-nation.com/baltimore-ori ... t-tracker/

Biggest difference is the presence of the number 2. Thank god.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #14 by Rising O's » June 6th, 2011, 5:50 pm

Worst two parts of draft coverage are Harold "stick to talking mechanics" Reynolds and Bud "I have zero personality" Selig.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #15 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 6th, 2011, 5:52 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:
Jordan wrote:Here's the link to this years draft tracker: http://orioles-nation.com/orioles-draft-tracker-2011/

Biggest difference is the presence of the number 2. Thank god.

I enjoyed adding the extra HTML for that second row!
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to MLB Draft