Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Derek “Bubba” Starling Scouting Report

Derek “Bubba” Starling Scouting Report

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 4th, 2011, 11:04 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/2011/06/05/de ... ng-report/

By: Don Olsen

Any team drafting Bubba Starling will have to show extreme patience, and it will take a lot of work and effort to turn his tremendous tool set into skills that could make him a feared hitter in the majors.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Derek “Bubba” Starling Scouting Report

PostPost #2 by Don » June 5th, 2011, 12:39 pm

I just want to reiterate that I am not against selecting Starling at all. It is simply a great deal of money for a guy that is almost 100% tools and very little baseball skills. Those guys tend to be second round picks, see Xavier Avery in the Orioles system.

He can be an all-star type player or he could end up another in the long line of Cruz Jr., Davis, Jamie Jones, or other guys with great projection and never really panned out the way you expect.

In this draft you can find a guy slightly cheaper and maybe just as potentially toolsy. See Shon Carson as an example much later in the draft.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Re: Derek “Bubba” Starling Scouting Report

PostPost #3 by Don » June 6th, 2011, 9:29 am

One of the things I cannot get out of my head is that I fear Bubba can be more along the lines of Chris Lubanski and less Josh Hamilton.

I might be 100% wrong, but it is well enough for me to be bullish on him inside the top 5, much less the top 10.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Return to MLB Draft