Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Whats wrong with Markakis?

Whats wrong with Markakis?

PostPost #1 by DougDE » June 1st, 2011, 1:46 am

Nick Markakis is seriously slumping. Among players who have played in at least 15 games on the team, Nick is 11th, yes 11th, in slugging at just .324. Just 8 XBH's. Unbelieveable. His current war is -.3. I certainly dont have any explanation for it but I hope he pulls out soon because he's killin us. I dont know how he can be penciled into the top of the lineup day in and day out too much longer. Unless maybe in the 1 hole since he's still gettin a few singles
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: Whats wrong with Markakis?

PostPost #2 by ljmillar22 » June 1st, 2011, 6:55 am

I know that the hitting coach has changed Nicks stance and is now more upright instead of being crouched and tight. This may explain the lack of hitting.
ljmillar22
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #3 by Don » June 1st, 2011, 7:48 am

It is not exactly on the shoulders of Jim Presley. Nick has switched his stance about 4 or 5 different times so far this season. He simply is not comfortable at the plate and the mental aspect is not allowing him to pick up the ball that well. I thought he broke out of it about two weeks ago, but this might be a long season for him.

In my opinion, it could be time to give him a break and either drop him in the order or move him up top to shake out whatever funk Nick is facing this season.

BTW - I hate being this awake at 5:30 in the morning. I hate West Coast Trips.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by Rising O's » June 3rd, 2011, 8:58 pm

He wasn't particularly impressive last year and he is terrible a third of the way through. It looks like he's lost even more weight and there has been talk of an illness affecting the club. Whatever it is, he needs to be moved from the 3 spot when Lee is back.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

Return to Baltimore Orioles