Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Gerrit Cole Scouting Report

Gerrit Cole Scouting Report

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 4th, 2011, 8:36 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/?p=9792

By: Don Olsen

Gerrit Cole is easily the best pitcher in the 2011 draft class, a potential ace in a major league rotation, and an All-Star in the making.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Gerrit Cole Scouting Report

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 22nd, 2011, 7:26 pm

Don,

What do you have to say about Cole's mediocre stats?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by Don » May 25th, 2011, 7:19 am

When it comes to statistics, sometimes you have to throw them out when looking at prospects. It is not a great idea to operate in that fashion, but it is something that should be used in consideration as well.

Cole has shown flashes of complete dominance over three years at UCLA. He shows one of the best change up's I have seen from a prep pitcher that is already plus and bordering plus-plus. He has solid command of his pitches and can live off the exploding fastball that reaches in the upper 90's late into games and pitch counts.

If teams look past this because he went flat against Aluminum bats for a few outing, they are making a huge mistake. I have seen too many players over my years of doing this have a bad month and drop 10-20 slots in the process. It usually comes back to haunt those teams that passed on that player.

He is the closest to the majors with the highest upside and on my board I have him, Bundy, Bauer, Rendon, Archie Bradley all grouped at the top. I have Hultzen, Meyer, Jungmann in that next group. Starling and Lindor are not at the top of my board because there are so many very good college players and both of these guys have a ton of risk tied to them.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by mcgraw238 » May 25th, 2011, 12:23 pm

I'm hoping this guy slides to 1:4 and is the pick.
mcgraw238
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #5 by Rising O's » May 27th, 2011, 1:01 pm

Its almost certainly going to be a pitcher. I'd be happy with Cole, Bundy or A Bradley (read Mike Mussina comp with better velocity).
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #6 by A_K » May 27th, 2011, 3:35 pm

I'll be happy with Hultzen, Cole, Rendon, Bradley, Bauer or Bundy. If it isn't one of those names I imagine I'll be pretty shocked. If it is one of those names, we will have just added a high level prospect to a system that needs precisely that.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

Return to MLB Draft