Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Shorebirds Kipp Schutz

Shorebirds Kipp Schutz

PostPost #1 by birdsfan7 » May 12th, 2011, 7:54 pm

Kipp Schutz has put up some numbers so far this year. What are the thoughts of those that get to watch him daily?
birdsfan7
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Shorebirds Kipp Schutz

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 12th, 2011, 8:35 pm

birdsfan7 wrote:Kipp Schutz has put up some numbers so far this year. What are the thoughts of those that get to watch him daily?

I haven't seen him this year, but obviously the numbers are eye popping. I'd like to see him get the bump to Frederick soon and see how he handles competition closer to his age level. He's slow and limited to LF, but if he continues to hit his defense won't be as much of an issue.

Shorebird fan should be able to provide some more details.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by Shorebirdfan » May 12th, 2011, 9:28 pm

Jordan wrote:I haven't seen him this year, but obviously the numbers are eye popping. I'd like to see him get the bump to Frederick soon and see how he handles competition closer to his age level. He's slow and limited to LF, but if he continues to hit his defense won't be as much of an issue.

Shorebird fan should be able to provide some more details.

Be happy to Jordan. Kipp has been impressive over the first couple homestands. I like his pitch recognition, as many players at the Low A level simply cannot hit breaking balls, he does a nice job of waiting on the pitch and even laying off the had ones. I couldn't agree with you more on the need to move him to Frederick and must say I was surprised when Bumbry was moved back there after the promotion of Hudson and the injury to Mummey. Kipp has shown some nice pop too, with 14 XBH.

I think his defense is a little stronger than you give him credit for. I have not seen him make too many mistakes, and during the Hagerstown series that ended tonight, he took away a 2 run home run to save a win going over the fence to get it. You can see the difference between a more mature player like Kipp and many of the younger kids that come through this level (othere than exceptional talent like Machado and Bryce Harper). Kipp is one of those players and needs to be challenged in order to see if he can be a real prospect.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #4 by Don » May 13th, 2011, 2:57 pm

I tend to look past the age versus level with regards to anyone. You tend to play within your skill sets and he is clearly showing that he no longer belongs in the Sally League. I think he should face a better class of pitchers and see how things shake out as I wonder about his eye compared to better off speed pitches. His time at Aberdeen last season was good enough that he should have started in Frederick from day one, but I guess eveyone will found out soon if he passes the mustard.

He needs to be pushed to the brink at his age. I would even say throw him to the wolves in Bowie and see what happens. He cannot grow as an ball player until he faces failure. Reason why I feel Schoop and Manny should be moving up the food chain as well.

Pitchers take time to adjust to ever level and learn the craft slowly. Hitters need to be push to the brink at every chance possible until they hit the wall. It is only until that time that hitter learn how to adjust.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by birdsfan7 » May 13th, 2011, 8:54 pm

I appreciate the responses. I thought maybe a promotion would be coming. He had another good night tonight.
birdsfan7
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 13th, 2011, 11:59 pm

birdsfan7 wrote:I appreciate the responses. I thought maybe a promotion would be coming. He had another good night tonight.

Tonight's big game earned him some attention during the O's MASN broadcast.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by birdsfan7 » May 21st, 2011, 9:13 pm

OK, here we are 40+ games into season. I am not sure what the O's could be waiting on here??? .395, 36 RBI's. We need to see what he can do at a higher level.
birdsfan7
DSL Orioles

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 24th, 2011, 10:19 am

birdsfan7 wrote:OK, here we are 40+ games into season. I am not sure what the O's could be waiting on here??? .395, 36 RBI's. We need to see what he can do at a higher level.

Schutz finally got the bump to Frederick.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by DougDE » May 28th, 2011, 6:19 am

Schutz went a combined 4 for 9 with a dinger in a double header Fri. night. Keeps this up and he might become an interesting prospect
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Return to Minor Leagues